forum

PSA: stop using hitsounds

posted
Total Posts
show more
Mahogany
My aiming speed changes based on the BPM of the song and how fast I have to singletap, and my aiming is synced to my tapping which is why I either get 99% or fail

Yeah aiming is a rhythm skill
-sev

Brian OA wrote:

Considering you have to do it with the beat in mind, yeah
Reading is tied to tapping, and is tied to aiming. I'm not referring to reading though; I'm talking about pure aiming skill. If you misjudged the distance you need to move your hand to target a circle, but you tapped accurately within the given hit window, would you consider yourself rhythmically inept? I don't think you would.

Brian OA wrote:

I know it's hard to consider this a rhythm game since the rankings and scoreboard are based on combo more than accuracy, but the rhythm is essential to the game and every gameplay mechanic revolves around it.
I was exaggerating earlier, in a light hearted fashion. Yes, the game revolves around rhythm, I agree to that. But as you said, it emphasizes combo (and aiming) over accuracy. And for a rhythm game, it sure as hell is forgiving on accuracy. You got a full combo? Good, you are rewarded more than someone who broke at some point regardless of your accuracy.

Anyway, I understand your point of view guys. Not looking to discredit you, that's just my take on things.

now let me shitpost and burn brain cells in peace niggas godamn thinking is hard
Trash Boat

Kaienyuu wrote:

now let me shitpost and burn brain cells in peace niggas godamn thinking is hard
Cancer:
noun
Pathology.
a malignant and invasive growth or tumor, especially one originating in epithelium, tending to recur after excision and to metastasize to other sites.
any disease characterized by such growths.
any evil condition or thing that spreads destructively; blight.
genitive Cancri [kang-kree] (Show IPA). (initial capital letter) Astronomy. the Crab, a zodiacal constellation between Gemini and Leo.
(initial capital letter) Astrology.
the fourth sign of the zodiac: the cardinal water sign.
a person born under this sign, usually between June 21 and July 22.
(initial capital letter) tropic of. See under tropic (def 1a).
Kaienyuu
Syphist
Oh god, what happened to this thread? It got derailed pretty hard.
-sev
it's offtopic, what did you expect
Bweh

Kaienyuu wrote:

Reading is tied to tapping, and is tied to aiming. I'm not referring to reading though; I'm talking about pure aiming skill. If you misjudged the distance you need to move your hand to target a circle, but you tapped accurately within the given hit window, would you consider yourself rhythmically inept? I don't think you would.
But you can't abstract them like that. The aiming portion of osu! is just as integral as the coordination involved in taiko or beatmania. In either case you could have the rhythm down, but you'd still have to make sure your aim works or your fingers respond appropriately because that's what the game's about. I think any rhythm game would demand more than just rhythm skills.

Kaienyuu wrote:

Yes, the game revolves around rhythm, I agree to that. But as you said, it emphasizes combo (and aiming) over accuracy. And for a rhythm game, it sure as hell is forgiving on accuracy. You got a full combo? Good, you are rewarded more than someone who broke at some point regardless of your accuracy.
The meta, score system, and ranking system's priorities shouldn't affect what the game is in essence. Yeah, all those pretty much push for a speed and aim game, but you can't develop any of those even marginally without incorporating rhythm into them. Add the fact that you're free to play the game however you want, and I'd say the emphasis means jack shit to the definition of a rhythm game.

But you know what? That's just my definition and set of values of talking. If you disagree with those, I guess there's nothing else to be said except go eat a dick because my opinion is right muhfugguh

Kaienyuu wrote:

no

Syphist wrote:

Oh god, what happened to this thread? It got derailed pretty hard.
Did you miss the subforum section name on your way over here?
-sev

Brian OA wrote:

Kaienyuu wrote:

no
hey fuck you this was the last serious post you're getting out of me

Brian OA wrote:

go eat a dick
you too
Syphist

Kaienyuu wrote:

it's offtopic, what did you expect
That is true...
Yoeri
Play touchscreen to avoid having to aim
-sev

Yoeri wrote:

Don't play this game to avoid having to aim
Vuelo Eluko

Kaienyuu wrote:

Yoeri wrote:

Don't play this game to avoid having to aim
you can definitely play the game and still not have aim. source: me

edit: oh, TO aim
B1rd
osu! is a rythm/aiming and reading game. I find that mania and the games that it's derived from function much better as rhythm games, you're a lot more immersed in the music when playing them. Especially when there's lovely custom hitsounds.

Not to mention that it's way harder to be accurate. Trying to get perfect 300's on OD7 on the simplest beat feels like OD10.5 on standard.
Topic Starter
balldoowell

RedPanda wrote:

it would be a rhythm game if it was accuracy based.
as it stands, it's a combo based whack-a-mole-waifu simulator which says a big fat fuck you if you get a miss half way through
PREACH IT. Multiplayer is literally wait for your opponent to mess up simulator
Friendan

balldoowell wrote:

Multiplayer is literally wait for your opponent to mess up simulator
sounds like Street Fighter
Vuelo Eluko

Friendan wrote:

balldoowell wrote:

Multiplayer is literally wait for your opponent to mess up simulator
sounds like Street Fighter
or every competitive multiplayer game ever.
Friendan

Riince wrote:

or every competitive multiplayer game ever.
not competitive Mario Party
unko

Yoeri wrote:

Don't play HR you fucking twats
Why not hr is good
darkmiz

balldoowell wrote:

osu! is literally the only rhythm game I know of besides beatmania that has hitsounds
welcome to taiko
sovasin
but stick hitsounds are sexy as fuck
chaee
Ping pong hitsounds for all game modes or uninstall :)
Soragoto
I don't mind having hitsounds. Not having them confuses me a lot. My account drops significantly if the hitsounds aren't louder than the music. It helps me getting the rhythm if the song. But I play only nornal difficulty with HD DT and HR sooooo it may be different to me.
Shohei Ohtani
I think sometimes people forget that osu! Is a computer port of osu! Takatae ouedan / Elite Beat Agents

Regardless of other games, thats what the source material used, so when developing the game, it was only logical to add hitsounds to be closer to the source material.
Granger

Reditum wrote:

I think sometimes people forget that osu! Is a computer port of osu! Takatae ouedan / Elite Beat Agents

Regardless of other games, thats what the source material used, so when developing the game, it was only logical to add hitsounds to be closer to the source material.
More like, people dont even know what osu! Takatae ouendan is.
-Atri-
Please enjoy keyboard hitsound
xch00F
bad
Bweh

Choofers wrote:

anyone and everyone that holds this opinion has shitty ears
you never need hitsounds to get a feel of the rhythm, if you need your hand held to listen to music in a music game then you're fucking bad
This fantastic opinion of yours based on absolutely nothing

Choofers wrote:

osu! is literally the only rhythm game I know of besides beatmania that has hitsounds
beatmania uses keysounds, not hitsounds
hitsounds are arbitrary
keysounds are not
Non-sequitur as fuck
Mercurial
To be honest, if I had an option to only listen one hitsound of an entire mapset, it would be the claps.

Also, I fucking hate whistles.
Friendan
I love the whistles
Why do people hate them? :(
Mahogany
Most hitsounds are shit but I have ones I like

Also if I can't hear my hitsounds my acc is dumpster tier, like 97%
Mercurial

Friendan wrote:

I love the whistles
Why do people hate them? :(
If it wasn't for mods, all my ranked mapsets wouldn't have whistles at all.
joi-
i got a brain tumor from turning off hitsounds :/
thelewa

Kaienyuu wrote:

Riince wrote:

there's more qualities of performances than accuracy in osu! even in regards to rhythm skill
Do you consider aiming to be a rhythm skill?
how do string instruments work
Bweh

thelewa wrote:

usually by holding down a specific set of strings in a certain way and striking at it through some means, which, coupled with the tension in the string, cause vibrations to resound throughout the cavity of the instrument, generating sound which is only possible by giving Brian OA pictures of your roommate's girlfriend holy shit man why are you torturing me with this
Rizumu Tenshi

Mercurial wrote:

I fucking hate whistles.
Probably because you don't use soft-hitwhistle as normal-hitwhistle in your skin?

It's no use turning off hitsounds if the game is a rhythm game. Mappers won't appreciate you turning off the hitsounds because they work on it as much as they work on the object placements. If you're playing THIS game JUST for scoring high, accuracy or score or even combo, you won't enjoy the game to the fullest.

Choofers wrote:

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

It's a rhythm game. You need hitsounds to get a feel of the rhythm.
anyone and everyone that holds this opinion has shitty ears
Put on an Audeze or Sennheiser before saying this (can you buy the Audeze LCD3?)
YOU have those ears if you don't like hitsounds blending with the music. I actually changed the custom hitsound in Ai to Bonnou to Rinne to Joushiki no Gokusai Sekai to make it blend more with the song (Cherry Blossom I sent the hitsound), the change made it tastier for my ears (I'm close to an audiophile but I'm not - I can tell the difference between 320kbps and 1088kbps I think). Rhythm isn't only entertainment for your body in case of the likes of Pump It Up and DDR / your hands in the case of beatmania IIDX and osu!, but your ears too, since you listen to the music and hit the notes to the music, which trigger sounds that blend with the music itself. NO USE TURNING HITSOUNDS OFF.

tl;dr Your soul cannot taste rhythm by hitting to the music without hitsounds that blend with the song.

If you have anything against this, call me and we'll settle this.
IppE

Baka Tenshi wrote:

Your soul cannot taste rhythm by hitting to the music
Bweh
Yeah my soul can only taste it once I'm headbanging to t.
-sev

thelewa wrote:

Kaienyuu wrote:

Do you consider aiming to be a rhythm skill?
how do first person shooters work
Fartlo
I went from 94% to 99% accuracy after changing my hitsound volume to 80% with 30% music volume. Therefore hitsounds > no hitsounds

Hooray for anecdotes!
Bweh

Kaienyuu wrote:

how do first person shooters work
-sev

Brian OA wrote:

Beautiful
show more