forum

PSA: stop using hitsounds

posted
Total Posts
show more
a1l2d3r4e5d6
It's a rhythm game. You need hitsounds to get a feel of the rhythm.
Trash Boat

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

Not exactly. I managed to get through ROF without hitsounds, and guess what? It ended well.
a1l2d3r4e5d6
I guess it varies per person then.

I tried playing without hitsounds once, and my acc went down a lot. I've only now just recovered from it.
Vuelo Eluko
my acc went up a lot when i turned off hitsounds but that was because of an issue where my hitsounds would be distorted and delayed and overlapped and i would get 70% on maps i'd usually 99%.
Bweh
There'll always be some form of input lag and, as odd as it sounds, everyone's used to it. You just time yourself to hit it some milliseconds later or earlier than usual and you're good to go. Hell, I remember lewa claiming once that his sound card was messed up and delayed sound response by a lot.

Still, I dunno what map you were playing and I think there are too many factors involved to just rule out hitsounds, but I'd like to think it's up to preference. That is to say, what works for you might not work for everyone else. I like the hitsounds since they give me some auditory feedback from correctly hitting an object, plus my keyboard won't produce slider hitsounds which help me follow the beat.

Though this is the first time I've heard of this. I know people have said to cut out the music and just follow the hitsounds (doctorindark and Aqo have said so, I think), but not the inverse.
Vuelo Eluko

Brian OA wrote:

There'll always be some form of input lag and, as odd as it sounds, everyone's used to it. You just time yourself to hit it some milliseconds later or earlier than usual and you're good to go. Hell, I remember lewa claiming once that his sound card was messed up and delayed sound response by a lot.

Still, I dunno what map you were playing and I think there are too many factors involved to just rule out hitsounds, but I'd like to think it's up to preference. That is to say, what works for you might not work for everyone else. I like the hitsounds since they give me some auditory feedback from correctly hitting an object, plus my keyboard won't produce slider hitsounds which help me follow the beat.

Though this is the first time I've heard of this. I know people have said to cut out the music and just follow the hitsounds (doctorindark and Aqo have said so, I think), but not the inverse.
when your hitsounds are like this you really have no choice.

the triples sometimes sounded like doubles and sometimes singles
Bweh
Is that your skin or osu being buggy?
Mahogany
I disagree I use loud hitsounds and I am one of the highest acc dudes around
Friendan
I think it's 1. placebo or 2. different play means different result, OP. I switched to x/z and my accuracy was good for about 2 seconds then went to normal.
The Gambler
You should probably edit your hitsounds using Audacity or something... Also something with a lower bitrate should help as less data processing for the sound means less lag.

Also this should have been moved to Skinning forums though I consider it a shitpost, OP
Topic Starter
balldoowell

Friendan wrote:

I think it's 1. placebo or 2. different play means different result, OP. I switched to x/z and my accuracy was good for about 2 seconds then went to normal.
Im using blue switches for my mechanical keyboard. I can definitely hear the timing differences of the keyboard clicks and hitsounds
Mahogany
But on topic I think playing without my headphones for a little bit helped me stream because mech

That or it was that really helpful map I played earlier idk
Friendan

balldoowell wrote:

Im using blue switches for my mechanical keyboard. I can definitely hear the timing differences of the keyboard clicks and hitsounds
That's weird, my delay is only a couple of milliseconds. Do you have fullscreen, windowed, or borderless mode?
Topic Starter
balldoowell

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

osu! is literally the only rhythm game I know of besides beatmania that has hitsounds

Friendan wrote:

That's weird, my delay is only a couple of milliseconds. Do you have fullscreen, windowed, or borderless mode?
Fullscreen for less input lag
Vuelo Eluko

Brian OA wrote:

Is that your skin or osu being buggy?
osu being buggy
IppE

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

It's a rhythm game.
BackOffMe50ft

IppE wrote:

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

It's a rhythm game.

also nice reaction meme
Lewder
it would be a rhythm game if maps werent so shit but u faggots like them anyway because they are from the FotM anime
unko

O m g thanks my accuracy is really goo d now
Yoeri
Don't play HR you fucking twats
DeletedUser_3905941
it would be a rhythm game if it was accuracy based.
as it stands, it's a combo based whack-a-mole-waifu simulator which says a big fat fuck you if you get a miss half way through
-sev

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

It's a rhythm game
since when?
Bweh
since before the gaming meta of gotta go fast and I can't play if I can't FC obfuscated that very simple fact
-sev
rhythm game where aim is rewarded more my ass
Vuelo Eluko

Kaienyuu wrote:

rhythm game where aim is rewarded more my ass
because every rhythm game needs to work the exact same way

thing is, the aiming is harder than the tapping in 999/1000 maps, except the ones that have low spacing high bpm streams [240+] mostly because of the low complexity of the tapping demanded by osu! as opposed to other rhythm games [it's basically 1k+1 in bemania terms] with only 2 buttons and no requirement to hit one or the other at different times, and indeed the relatively long hit windows.

aim should be more rewarding.
-sev
So basically osu is an aim game with rhythm as sugar coating, not a rhythm game.
Vuelo Eluko
Basically it's a rhythm game, yes. You aim to the rhythm.
-sev
Yeah, I guess that's why there are people out there who are rhythmically retarded and still have better rank than me and you.

Rhythm vidya yo! xddd
Vuelo Eluko
nevermind that rank isn't an accurate skill indicator, but why do you think people above you are rhythmically retarded?
-sev
I didn't generalize. I said there are a few who get rewarded for full combos regardless of bad accuracy.
Vuelo Eluko
there's more qualities of performances than accuracy in osu! even in regards to rhythm skill
Vuelo Eluko
like i wouldnt assume someone who happens to play harder maps than their 99% acc skill level and gets a ton of pp from 96% or below plays can't get high acc on the easier maps i play, any more than i would assume I could fc the maps they play with low acc.

even comparing people of the same rank but differing accuracies overall, they are different types of players but what can be said for sure is that the one with lower acc plays harder maps, maps that the person with higher acc and the same rank are not going to be able to FC with his usual high acc. If he FCs it at all, it will probably also be with low acc.

Does that make the high acc player as "rhythmically retarded" as the low acc guy?
-sev

Riince wrote:

there's more qualities of performances than accuracy in osu! even in regards to rhythm skill
Do you consider aiming to be a rhythm skill?
Vuelo Eluko
im talking about actual map difficulty. read the rest.
Bweh

Kaienyuu wrote:

Riince wrote:

Do you consider aiming to be a rhythm skill?
Considering you have to do it with the beat in mind, yeah

I know it's hard to consider this a rhythm game since the rankings and scoreboard are based on combo more than accuracy, but the rhythm is essential to the game and every gameplay mechanic revolves around it.
Mahogany
My aiming speed changes based on the BPM of the song and how fast I have to singletap, and my aiming is synced to my tapping which is why I either get 99% or fail

Yeah aiming is a rhythm skill
-sev

Brian OA wrote:

Considering you have to do it with the beat in mind, yeah
Reading is tied to tapping, and is tied to aiming. I'm not referring to reading though; I'm talking about pure aiming skill. If you misjudged the distance you need to move your hand to target a circle, but you tapped accurately within the given hit window, would you consider yourself rhythmically inept? I don't think you would.

Brian OA wrote:

I know it's hard to consider this a rhythm game since the rankings and scoreboard are based on combo more than accuracy, but the rhythm is essential to the game and every gameplay mechanic revolves around it.
I was exaggerating earlier, in a light hearted fashion. Yes, the game revolves around rhythm, I agree to that. But as you said, it emphasizes combo (and aiming) over accuracy. And for a rhythm game, it sure as hell is forgiving on accuracy. You got a full combo? Good, you are rewarded more than someone who broke at some point regardless of your accuracy.

Anyway, I understand your point of view guys. Not looking to discredit you, that's just my take on things.

now let me shitpost and burn brain cells in peace niggas godamn thinking is hard
Trash Boat

Kaienyuu wrote:

now let me shitpost and burn brain cells in peace niggas godamn thinking is hard
Cancer:
noun
Pathology.
a malignant and invasive growth or tumor, especially one originating in epithelium, tending to recur after excision and to metastasize to other sites.
any disease characterized by such growths.
any evil condition or thing that spreads destructively; blight.
genitive Cancri [kang-kree] (Show IPA). (initial capital letter) Astronomy. the Crab, a zodiacal constellation between Gemini and Leo.
(initial capital letter) Astrology.
the fourth sign of the zodiac: the cardinal water sign.
a person born under this sign, usually between June 21 and July 22.
(initial capital letter) tropic of. See under tropic (def 1a).
Kaienyuu
Syphist
Oh god, what happened to this thread? It got derailed pretty hard.
-sev
it's offtopic, what did you expect
show more