forum

Sort beatmaps by BPM [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +23
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
I would really appreciate it if there was an option to sort the beatmaps by BPM. :)
ROMaster2
Just out of curiosity, what use would you have of this?
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

ROMaster2 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what use would you have of this?
Well, even though beatmaps are sorted by difficulty, it's still not enough. The reason why sorting by difficulty is not enough is because each person is limited by their response time, the speed they can read and then respond to the circles that appear on the screen.

A person who can move his mouse back and forth across the screen at a maximum speed of 130 BPM, is not going to be able to complete any beatmaps above that speed no matter how hard he tries, because he wont have the reflexes quick enough to cope with it. Sorting beatmaps by BPM makes it easier for a player to get good at Osu, by building a player upto the faster speeds gradually. It would work in a similar way to training weights to build muscle. You start on weights close to what you can cope with, and as you gain muscle you build up to heavier weights.

Sorting by BPM would offer the same principle. You start at a BPM range you can cope with, then each day you increase by a few BPM till you eventually get to the very fast and difficult beatmaps. Thus avoiding complications of injuring yourself, from trying to do beatmaps that are too fast for you to cope with. :)
Saturos
BPM has almost no use in deciding difficulty for maps in osu! unlike other rhythm games, though.

Approach rates are set by the mapper, not the BPM, as well as placement/frequency. BPM in osu! is used almost exclusively for timing purposes and nothing much else.
awp
Agreeing with Saturos on this. The use of half notes/quarter notes/eighth notes is a better judgment call than BPM of a song.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
Okay. You guys appear to know what you are talking about, so I guess we don't need this feature in Osu. :D
LimeGreenTeknii
Well, I'm now really curious which songs that I have are the fastest and slowest. Also, they have this in DDR: Hottest party, so why not here?
YoshiKart
Beatmaps with multiple timing sections maybe difficult to manage with this feature. =/
Gemi

YoshiKart wrote:

Beatmaps with multiple timing sections maybe difficult to manage with this feature. =/
All dance games just look at the fastest BPM in the song. Also, I do tink this is a useful sorting option. BPM does have an efect even in osu! although the difficulty isn't always as heavily dependant on the bpm as in other rhythm games.
chan
Also some people (*hides*) use multiples of the bpm. Like 240 instead of 60. Because everyone knows all songs are at 60bpm
*mod-suicide*
peppy
This was added in test last week.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

peppy wrote:

Nice :) ... I have just one more thing to ask though.

Would it be possible to combine two of the sorting options rather than having them seperate? For example, I like to sort the beatmaps by difficulty and I think it would be nice if we could sort by BPM for the difficulty level we have open, rather than mixing all of the easy and hard beatmap levels together.
Gemi

adamskii_uk wrote:

peppy wrote:

Nice :) ... I have just one more thing to ask though.

Would it be possible to combine two of the sorting options rather than having them seperate? For example, I like to sort the beatmaps by difficulty and I think it would be nice if we could sort by BPM for the difficulty level we have open, rather than mixing all of the easy and hard beatmap levels together.
My version of the song selection screen layout has this possibility in a clever way, just need to finish of the layout some time.