forum

[confirmed] Score caps and starts counting backwards

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Liiraye
We are finishing off a 40 min collab project, and in it we've realized that upon reaching 2,14 billion score, the score stops and starts counting backwards (even during breaks) in a slow pace. Once the map is finished you end up with approximately 1,3 billion score.

EDIT: Map link https://osu.ppy.sh/s/137839

Screenshots:

osu! version: 20150616.2cuttingedge
Renevant
It's probably never expected for you to have that high of a score. Since the number 2,147,483,647 is the maximum positive value for a 32-bit signed binary integer in computing (copy pasta from wikipedia for wording), it didn't go up, but went back down.
Topic Starter
Liiraye

Renevant wrote:

It's probably never expected for you to have that high of a score. Since the number 2,147,483,647 is the maximum positive value for a 32-bit signed binary integer in computing (copy pasta from wikipedia for wording), it didn't go up, but went back down.

Yes, we've theorised about this and it seemed like a plausible explaination. However, I wonder if this will have any effect on ranking the map, because we've put a lot of time and effort organizing and mapping it for a year now. Our goal is obviously to get it approved.
JSELENABELIEBER

Liiraye wrote:

Renevant wrote:

Yes, we've theorised about this and it seemed like a plausible explaination. However, I wonder if this will have any effect on ranking the map, because we've put a lot of time and effort organizing and mapping it for a year now. Our goal is obviously to get it approved.
unless peppy reprograms the entire game, or tries to work on a specific scoring system just to work around this 32-bit limitation, then no.
VeilStar
What Renevant said.Confirming & moving to Low Priority.

Edit: Auto finishes with a score of 695 516 816 on the grading screen.
Topic Starter
Liiraye

VeilStar wrote:

What Renevant said.Confirming & moving to Low Priority.

Edit: Auto finishes with a score of 695 516 816 on the grading screen.

It only makes sense that the score becomes less now, we've updated 2 whole songs more
Wafu
I think moving back to high priority threads would be appropriate. Recently a beatmap that does exceed integer size was qualified (tho disqualified afterwards because of some issues, but is sure coming back very soon as it is now 2x bubbled). p/4624362
Bara-
I agree
I didn't noticed it when looking at auto, but it is a big issue
Myxo
Yeah honestly, I wonder why this Low Priority, it's actually quite a huge issue... The scoreboards will be completely messed up...
VeilStar
Because you can't have like 200 pinned threads.

Whether it's in the Confirmed (Low Priority) sub-forum or not basically has nothing to do with priority at this point.
Bara-
Did these 2 merge?
Confirmed and LP?
VeilStar

Baraatje123 wrote:

Did these 2 merge?
Confirmed and LP?
I guess you could say that, yeah.

As I said previously, whether a thread was in Confirmed (Low Priority) or not didn't indicate its priority anyway, it was basically a useless division that served no purpose and only confuses people.

As far as I'm aware it was basically a remnant from years ago. That being said, Confirmed (Low Priority) has been renamed to Confirmed Issues, and all confirmed threads have been moved to there, and new confirmed threads will now go in here.

You may still see a confirmed thread pinned on the Help forum every once in a while for extremely urgent cases for awareness purposes, such as when there are server issues that people will rampantly report, but that would be the only exception to that.

Anyway, about the actual issue; According to TheVileOne this won't be simple to fix; There are many places that expect an int datatype that would need to be changed. There are possibly server side changes that need to be made as well.

I can't really say more than that about the issue itself as I'm not a dev.
TheVileOne
It probably shouldn't be ranked until the problem is resolved.
Zak
Why not make a workaround for the issue, such as a new score calculation work specifically for maps that will break it?
AruOtta
I think it should be fixed, since there's a big difference in the score for my map https://osu.ppy.sh/s/150054
And I can't rank it for the moment...
It's around 2,200,000,000 (maybe 2^31)

OmegaR
When is this getting fixed? Pls
TheVileOne
I just received word on this, and we're not going to support a datasize larger than an int. These maps may be setup to use scoreV2, but I don't think such a solution will be soon as that would be an equally sizable thing to give support for.
Catgirl
I would just like to say that The Unforgiving marathon currently can break the maximum score in CTB if someone were to FC it with HR (or HDDT, Abstract- is close to FC).

Or maybe someone has already done it but their score was low so we never noticed..
-Asuki-Chan-
i made this map it maxs without mods around 1,856,456,567 and on modes it ends at 1,823,472,198. tell me why its counting backwards when maxed I use the 64bit version of osu like wtf.

heres my song https://osu.ppy.sh/b/918587&m=0
Zak

SLDplays wrote:

i made this map it maxs without mods around 1,856,456,567 and on modes it ends at 1,823,472,198. tell me why its counting backwards when maxed I use the 64bit version of osu like wtf.

heres my song https://osu.ppy.sh/b/918587&m=0
Have you not read the thread? There is a score cap because of what osu uses to calculate score and when you reach the max it counts backwards.

Also just because standard has no chance of being affected due to scoreV2 coming out doesn't mean this should go ignored as it was brought back up because of CtB, there has to be something that can be done to fix it even if it would just take the score and put a higher score on the leaderboard based on how much you got after hitting the cap or something.
show more