forum

Should osu! be an eSport?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
The Gambler
- I mean this game is much simpler to manage than CS:GO, WoW, Quake III in terms of game mechanics.
- The map pools are also easier to moderate than say a map from Dota or LoL, etc.

* Some cons though would be the publicity this gets, which brings kids to osu! and flood forums
* VAC or some anti-cheat system would be hard to implement due to skill levels being almost similar to cheat programs (Atama no Taisou - Nogard diff being one of them)
Friendan

The Gambler wrote:

* Some cons though would be the publicity this gets, which brings kids to osu! and flood forums
It is already though
I don't think too many people would want to watch a circle clicking game.
why do they call it esports, videogames != sport
Yuudachi-kun
Just like they aren't art either, right?

Good job on holding the view that only traditional "put the ball in the thing" games can be sport.
Renevant
Related threads that discuss the same thing:
how popular wil osu get
E-Sport

It will likely never be one. If it did, we would have copyright stuff everywhere.
Topic Starter
The Gambler
Well, copyright issues aside (we can just use sponsored/advertised songs if backers are willing), I see sport as a highly regulated event like chess, soccer, football and track & field with international governing bodies. If osu gets that kind of staffing then in the future maybe.

I honestly think there isn't much of the game mechanics you could tweak without looking like you cheated anyway, so regulation seems easier than other games.

It doesn't even have to be massively huge, but a set of rules and regulations similar to sports aside from the current ones would make osu! for me as an eSport.
-sev
No.
Renevant

The Gambler wrote:

Well, copyright issues aside
Copyright is the biggest issue though. A large amount of songs out there that people enjoy playing would be removed. That's really not worth being recognized as an esport. While it may benefit osu! in terms of publicity, it would hurt the players who play the game.
Friendan

Kheldragar wrote:

Good job on holding the view that only traditional "put the ball in the thing" games can be sport.
"Sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."
I don't see any physical exertion by clicking a mouse. I never said video games can't be art (just when they are advertised as art, they suck).
Yuudachi-kun

Friendan wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

"Sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."
I don't see any physical exertion by clicking a mouse. I never said video games can't be art (just when they are advertised as art, they suck).
1. It's not necessarily clicking a mouse.
2. Have you attempted to stream/singletap above 240 bpm or aim songs that are harder than 5 stars? Did you exclude thinking about this because you can't play those types of maps?
3. There is competition in osu and I would say there is physical exertion.

Osu just wouldn't be an entertaining spectator sport.
Mahogany

Friendan wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

I don't see any physical exertion by clicking a mouse.
And that's because you're bad.
ZenithPhantasm
No
- e - v - b-

The Gambler wrote:

-
by kids, what age do you mean, i know alot of people around my age (12) who play and appreciate pros and such.
Yuudachi-kun

Hsephela wrote:

The Gambler wrote:

-
by kids, what age do you mean, i know alot of people around my age (12) who play and appreciate pros and such.
You. Exactly you.
- e - v - b-
You. Exactly you.
what exactly do you mean by me exactly, what the fact that i farm pp some or what?
B1rd
osu! is not a multiplayer game.
ZenithPhantasm

Hsephela wrote:

The Gambler wrote:

-
Yea good luck with your career with osu as your profession. Tell me how it works out in 12 more years.
Midori Tea

Kheldragar wrote:

"put the ball in the thing" games can be sport
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This thread reminds me of this video I saw the other day. Towards the end, there's a couple of dudes playing osu! in the background. Personally, it'd be nice to see it as an esport if copyright wasn't an issue.
HazeL
Yes
E14
Its already an eSport to me. Why?

Global Rankings are everywhere :v
Nameless
It'd be mildly interesting if osu! were to become an eSport, but I don't really care if it does become an eSport or not.
Wojjan

B1rd wrote:

darts is not a multiplayer game you little shit
deadbill
Hell no
B1rd

Wojjan wrote:

B1rd wrote:

darts is not a multiplayer game you little shit
darts isn't an esport.
deadbill
darts are sharp though
Zazarith
Maybe
Nameless

B1rd wrote:

darts isn't an esport.
Yes, darts isn't an eSport, but the truth of the matter is that eSports and physical sports are very comparable due to them being incredibly similar in most cases. Wojjan has a point, something doesn't have to be primarily multiplayer to become a legitimate sport or eSport.
laport

Nameless wrote:

Wojjan has a point
Wojjan has a pointy
Nameless

laport wrote:

Nameless wrote:

Wojjan has a point
Wojjan has a pointy
Wojjan has a pointy finger.