forum

[duplicate] Global Offset Calibration

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
Yotipo
It's been years since I last played Osu! because I never had the patience to manually adjust the offset until recently. If there is a way to implement a feature like Stepmania's Global Offset Sync Machine that encourages users to calibrate their system so they can hit on timing without having to dig through old archives on how to troubleshoot, then I bet more people would stick with this game and see immediate results in scores.

When I found out my global offset was close to -90ms, I realized why I had given up on this game for so long. I took the time to adjust the offset after an hour of trial and error and my scores improved drastically, and now I don't get all 100s, and I realize that I'm actually supposed to get the rainbow 300s in Osu!Mania and not the golden 300s. But another problem is that I have to disable the effect sounds since those are out of sync now.

Of every computer system (about 6) I've played rhythm games on there has always been 30ms+ of delay. That's why I propose that upon installation there should be a calibration system. The offset wizard only helps if you download the file, go into the song, and find if you're late or ahead just to go back to the main menu to adjust and repeat. The process isn't user-friendly and the built in offset wizard didn't help me at all.

Any feedback is appreciated.
peppy
options > offset wizard?

also, having an offset of 90ms means your hitsounds will be completely off, and something IS wrong with your system. are you using post-processing in a sound system or something?

of all my (6+) PCs the offset is never more than 5ms off zero.

you can't compare stepmania to osu! because stepmania has no hitsounds. We use the offset to align audio, not input.
abraker
If I am to add anything to the current offset wizard is so that it would show how many milliseconds the player is off upon pressing a key. If the values can be displayed up to 15 sec so that it can be adjusted with eyes closed, that would be great too.
Redon
Topic Starter
Yotipo
@Redon, that is the solution I've come to and I enjoy the game this way. It also revived my interest in osumania; with the strict timing windows, it has to be perfect for me.

@Peppy, with -90ms offset I can start to SS songs on hidden in osumania. I am using an audio interface, but I've tested through my onboard audio card as well. I've used 3 desktops with XP, Vista, and 7 (all 3 Dell), 3 laptops (2 Dell, 1 Lenovo), and I install a clean OS on all of them. Some with integrated graphics, and some with graphics cards. Every single one I have to adjust an input delay on any rhythm game I play.

@abraker, something simple as that could save a lot of time!

I only bring this topic up because I know Osu has an incredible interface with constant updates, a ranking system, and in-game features that most rhythm games lack--so there's hope that a feature like this could be even considered. Maybe if I have more support from other users, an in-game tap-to-sync function could be developed.
-Maus-

Yotipo wrote:

@Redon, that is the solution I've come to and I enjoy the game this way. It also revived my interest in osumania; with the strict timing windows, it has to be perfect for me.
Iirc many players complained that it's not strict at all ;v

I only bring this topic up because I know Osu has an incredible interface with constant updates, a ranking system, and in-game features that most rhythm games lack--so there's hope that a feature like this could be even considered. Maybe if I have more support from other users, an in-game tap-to-sync function could be developed.
Maybe it's Maybelline
Or maybe it's how feature requests basically work

I'll stay neutral as I've never tried to tinker with the offset.
abraker

Transformau5 wrote:

Yotipo wrote:

Yea, I sometimes wish the hardrock was ranked (but no pp effect). Playing with flimsy timing windows really puts me out of shape.
Topic Starter
Yotipo

Transformau5 wrote:

Yotipo wrote:

Osumania feels identical to Beatmania's timing window and similar to Stepmania on Judge 6. Standard Osu mode feels like Stepmania on Judge 4 with no Marvelouses.

In any case, I can't see why I'd want to match up the hitsounds to the beat if the input doesn't match the beat. That's like saying I'm encouraged to play off beat. But maybe I'm just cursed with unfavorable hardware for rhythm games.
-Squishy
For my laptop, I need to hide the judgement line so if slow jams occur I can focus more on the music, but if there isn't any beat or music for slow parts, it's all about guessing and there's nothing right now to prevent from 100% guessing those notes with the unchanging input offset. So for some beatmaps, it's nothing about skill and just being pure lucky to get an SS or just being able to hit the slow notes on time.

If input offset can't be done, at least have the hit error meter adjustable. There is absolutely no reason to put it in a place where its nearly impossible to see while playing. I'd rather have that in place of the combo and hit score because showing the combo doesn't help and neither does knowing if you get a 200 or 300 help when you don't know if that was an early or late 200/300 to adjust instantly.
Oinari-sama
Actually there's already a thread for Offset Wizard discussions, have a read of what's been discussed in t/115695 and post your idea there instead. ;)