forum

Disallow maps that use other ranked map's elements/part(s)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ntasuto
This came into my mind yesterday after playing this map : https://osu.ppy.sh/b/246397

I started playing it . then after ~5:30 mins i assumed the map finished but to my surprise it didn't. A new song started.
When i clicked to play that mapped i was assuming i was playing this : https://osu.ppy.sh/b/152078 but i wasn't .
The map was a compilation of https://osu.ppy.sh/b/152078 + https://osu.ppy.sh/b/181253 + https://osu.ppy.sh/s/90803

Let's get to the point now. The first 2 song/s of that map have already their own ranked maps by the same mapper and are 100% identical. 0 changes made.
Plain Copy+ Paste . Only the 3rd song in that compilation is not ranked so i guess its acceptable . That makes the map 2/3 (Copy+ Paste) + 1/3 ( new map)
How is that even allowed?

The 2 maps already exists and only the 3rd one is unique. This should be forbidden . If every mapper would start to fuse their maps into a new one chaos would occur in osu and maps would get ranked every 30 seconds, why ? Because if a mapper with 3 ranked maps decides to make a compilation of these 3 maps it should get ranked right away since the 3 maps it consists of are already ranked and passed the quality check . Now imagine 1000 mappers doing that in a period of 1 week. Boom. We end up filling the osu server with the same maps again and people playing the same thing AGAIN ,gaining pp for the exact same maps. Even if the mapper uses 2 ranked and 1 unranked this would be crazy . Just map it separately And 1 ranked + 2 unranked it still makes no sense coz you can simply make a compilation with jsut the 2 unranked maps.

This feels like promoting laziness, coz to make such maps it takes extremely little to no effort.

If someone still want's to make a compilation with his already ranked maps then he can still do it and keep it unranked or a new category could be created.

TL;DR : Disallow ranking whole maps or parts(100% copy paste) of another already ranked map in a new maps."Title"
Bara-
So a songs compilation made by mapper A can't be a compilation of maps of that song (probably by mapper A)
What the heck
Why not?
More maps like this have this, that's why it's called a compilation
So, as you say, I can't copy a stream from Ascension to heaven (let's say 17 notes) and copy paste that in my map which is completely different?
What?
This means, that in a few years not a single map can be rankable as every pattern already exists by then
If you talk about the same song, then I agree, as long as it's a standalone song; not a compilation
Lach
It's lazy as fuck, but it's not like they are stealing anything. In the case of "semantic compositions on death and its meaning" I would say it's okay purely based on the fact that the songs are from the same album and follow the same themes. Nobody is forcing anyone to play the compilation map.

baraatje123 wrote:

So, as you say, I can't copy a stream from Ascension to heaven (let's say 17 notes) and copy paste that in my map which is completely different?
In this case, he is explicitly talking about scenarios where someone copypastes a bunch of their own maps into one, slaps a bit on the end, and calls it a "compilation". See: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/185177
ikin5050
It's only okay if the creator of the map lables it as a collab difficulty and asks the previous makers permission?
Topic Starter
Ntasuto

baraatje123 wrote:

So a songs compilation made by mapper A can't be a compilation of maps of that song (probably by mapper A)
What the heck
Why not?
More maps like this have this, that's why it's called a compilation
What?
This means, that in a few years not a single map can be rankable as every pattern already exists by then
If you talk about the same song, then I agree, as long as it's a standalone song; not a compilation
Its not about just copy pasting 17 notes. its about copy pasting whole parts( kiai times or 1 min till the 1st brake) or even the whole song .
Ofc its impossible to not replicate stuff , due to the fact that all mappers map with sliders/circles ...

I jsut say having the same part for 1 min or the whole song ranked again is plain stupid . the map is ALREADY ranked. why have the same thing ranked again just because it has 1 min extra mapped or is inside a compilation ?

Lach wrote:

It's lazy as fuck, but it's not like they are stealing anything. In the case of "semantic compositions on death and its meaning" I would say it's okay purely based on the fact that the songs are from the same album and follow the same themes. Nobody is forcing anyone to play the compilation map.
I understand that they are not stealing but still as i mentioned above why have the same thing ranked again if it already exists. we are talking about 100% identical maps/ parts that are jsut copy pasted. and about the " Nobody is forcing anyone to play the compilation map." I can map a stupid +weird+extremely hard + unreadable map and demand it to get ranked. Then as you said i will jsut say . "Nobody is forcing anyone to play it ". Makes no sense does it ? .

ikin5050 wrote:

It's only okay if the creator of the map lables it as a collab difficulty and asks the previous makers permission?
Ok or not my point is that this shouldn't be acceptable .
Lach
You're making this a problem when it isn't a problem.
Topic Starter
Ntasuto

Lach wrote:

It doesn't have to be classified as a problem. Many other things are not a problem but still there are some rules.
Kibbleru
well, as lazy and bad as it is, they aren't stealing anything so i don't think there should be a rule around it.

gdi our avatars look so similar i thought i accidentally double posted
Topic Starter
Ntasuto

Kibbleru wrote:

well, as lazy and bad as it is, they aren't stealing anything so i don't think there should be a rule around it.

gdi our avatars look so similar i thought i accidentally double posted

I never said anything about stealing. Its about ranking the same thing.
Charm

Ntasuto wrote:

If every mapper would start to fuse their maps into a new one chaos would occur in osu and maps would get ranked every 30 seconds, why ? Because if a mapper with 3 ranked maps decides to make a compilation of these 3 maps it should get ranked right away since the 3 maps it consists of are already ranked and passed the quality check . Now imagine 1000 mappers doing that in a period of 1 week. Boom. We end up filling the osu server with the same maps again and people playing the same thing AGAIN ,gaining pp for the exact same maps.
why do you think this isnt happening then? it also takes alot of consistency to fc compilations like that so the pp is well earned imo
neonat
We don't see them getting ranked every 30 seconds right now and we do not have such a rule, I believe we can trust the sensibility of the mapper and anyone else involved this is just a minority here. Don't expect people to always want to make compilations, I'd like to believe people prefer to make new things, rather than to recycle old stuff
Yauxo
I really dont see the problem in using Map A, Map B and Map C for Compilation A, IF the three songs have the same origin (say, a EP with these three songs for example, making it an "EP Compilation".)
(same would count for yuikonnu Compilation, Knife Party Compilation, World of Warcraft Music Compilation etc.)

Then, if multiple people mapped the same song (say, Player A, Player B and Player C have mapped Bad Apple) and Player A wants to make a Collab out of these three maps and Player B and Player C are okay with that, then that itself would be fine imo. Shoot it forward.

Though, if there are three completely different songs (say, yuikonnu, Justin Bieber and Mozart (wat)), then I'd agree with you, that they shouldnt be ranked. They can act as a random unranked Compilation.

I dont think that there has ever been a problem with that.

tl;dr

Lach wrote:

Redon

Yauxo wrote:

I really dont see the problem in using Map A, Map B and Map C for Compilation A, IF the three songs have the same origin (say, a EP with these three songs for example, making it an "EP Compilation".)
(same would count for yuikonnu Compilation, Knife Party Compilation, World of Warcraft Music Compilation etc.)

Then, if multiple people mapped the same song (say, Player A, Player B and Player C have mapped Bad Apple) and Player A wants to make a Collab out of these three maps and Player B and Player C are okay with that, then that itself would be fine imo. Shoot it forward.

Though, if there are three completely different songs (say, yuikonnu, Justin Bieber and Mozart (wat)), then I'd agree with you, that they shouldnt be ranked. They can act as a random unranked Compilation.
I think what Ntasuto is complaining about is when a map that is already ranked is ranked again as part of a compilation. It's not about the song or how they fit together into a compilation, but whether it should be allowed to just copy-paste a ranked map into a compilation and try to rank it again.
Yauxo

Redon wrote:

Yauxo wrote:

I think what Ntasuto is complaining about is when a map that is already ranked is ranked again as part of a compilation. It's not about the song or how they fit together into a compilation, but whether it should be allowed to just copy-paste a ranked map into a compilation and try to rank it again.
Thats what I tried to say. My post wasnt about the music (though I used song and artist names as examples), but the map itself.
Did I write it in a confusing way?

Map A is ranked
Map B is ranked

Compilation of Song A and Song B (because they're on the same album) -> copy pasted with Map A and Map B
Lust
No adequate wording/proposition has been given here. Flaming.

Give me a poke if you wish to continue this