forum

[Archived] How do i install skins with .rar into my osu! ???

posted
Total Posts
show more
abraker

Kurokami wrote:

Seriously man, its not that hard.
Mac is Mac, unlike Windows. I compare it to a box that allows you to do as advertised, and everything to prevent you from doing anything else with it.

Kurokami wrote:

Or alternatively just rename "foldername.rar" to "foldername.osk" and drag it to the osu! window.
I hope the extensions are not hidden. Have you tried this?
lenpai
Mac user to the rescue:
Here's a thing, if you extract lets say "someskin.rar" does a folder named "someskin" come about? Make sure you have a program that can extract .rar files.
When the file is extracted you can do either these (with a theoretical example "someskin")
1. Convert the skin folder "someskin" to .zip and then change the extesion to .osk then open that file.
2. Copy the folder and, assuming that the directory of your osu is installed in applications, right clilck osu and click "open enclosing folder" or some similar command and go to osu then skins then paste that folder. Dont forget to restart oss if you did this eith osu open
Topic Starter
Kirito6554
It says that i can choose the "Skin name" (and i choose it) and then i go to a random song, it's still the normal osu! skin.
Please go to the link below:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn16 ... 4hzetv.png
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn16 ... sotnei.png
Niko-nyan
edit : :<<< double click the .osk file maybe helped tried this before
TheVileOne
.osk is nothing but a renamed zip file. If you can extract it somewhere and drag it into your Skins folder osu will detect it.
lenpai
Oh lol it is a .osk file
Right click the file and click "open with..."
Find and select osu
Oinari-sama

Kirito6554 wrote:

It's not working D:
I put the extracted file into User, and am i supposed to keep the skin.ini file?
Why did you delete skin.ini =.=

skin.ini is the most important file that controls the colour and behaviour of several components of the skin.

Kirito6554 wrote:

It says that i can choose the "Skin name" (and i choose it) and then i go to a random song, it's still the normal osu! skin.
Please go to the link below:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn16 ... 4hzetv.png
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn16 ... sotnei.png
Make sure the map you're playing doesn't already come with its own skins. For maps with custom skinning files, you'll need to disable it via Visual Settings to play with your own skin instead.
Topic Starter
Kirito6554
Niko-Nyan can you please describe better? (i don't really understand what you mean)
TheVileOne i already tried extracting it and putting it into the skins folder but still not working
Lenfried- I tried doing that but still said failed to import skin thingy
Oinari-sama i thought this might happen so i put it in a new folder. (Put it back already). I already disabled that option, but still doesn't work.
drum drum
could you provide a link to the skin please
Topic Starter
Kirito6554
Oinari-sama
Did you check whether the skinning files are sitting in the correct directory structure like I said?

Oinari-sama wrote:

Extra the RAR and place the skin folder under osu!\Skins

Make sure you double check that the skin folder has not repeated itself, ie:

Correct: osu!\Skins\skinname\*.png
Wrong: osu!\Skins\skinname\skinname\*.png
If you simply extracted that RAR into osu!\skins you'll get the incorrect repeated folder name, ie osu!\skins\WWWskin v1.5\WWWskin v1.5
Kurokami
No wonder renaming to .osk didn't worked then. orz
Topic Starter
Kirito6554
I also tried with .orz but still didn't work
Also it's not repeated
Niko-nyan
the problem that i think is the size. 116 MB for a skin is too big i think?
Kurokami
No, if it contains audio files as well.
Topic Starter
Kirito6554
Yeah it does
TheVileOne
I downloaded that skin file and extracted it without issue into the Skins folder and it worked. I used 7-Zip to do the extracting.
CalmirageD88
Hello Kirito6554!
If you already extract the skins to correct path of osu's skin folder, you must activate the skin in your game.
Open osu! game, click option, search "Current Skin", change it to your recently downloaded skin..

Hope helps ;)
ziin
http://www.unrarx.com/

So he's on osx... which doesn't open rar files natively. You have to download an app.
Topic Starter
Kirito6554
Hello,
I used unrarX to extract it but still doesn't work, and i also tried dragging the extracted folder into the skin area, but it said failed to import skin.
memecena

Kirito6554 wrote:

Hello,
I used unrarX to extract it but still doesn't work, and i also tried dragging the extracted folder into the skin area, but it said failed to import skin.
i used 7zip extracted put it into osu folders didn't work so i tried to replace rar with osk then dragging it in there said failed to import skin
Bara-
Please don't bump old marked threads, make a new thread regarding the issue the next time
As for the issue, just extract it. For example, a Yandere skin should be in osu!/skins/Yandere/Location of the files
You shouldn't put the elements in the main folder, but in that 'Yandere' folder. You should also not have a folder in said folder