forum

Is learning how to play hidden a good way to improve?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Saucee_old
I wanna know if it can help you get better in general.
B1rd
It will help with hidden.
Topic Starter
Saucee_old
Holy balls thanks for the quick reply! But could you be a bit more specific? Like will it help with getting better at reading maps or with accuracy for example.
Bauxe
Play osu! to get better in general.
Synpoo
it helped me get better accuracy but when i tried playing without hidden my acc was shit for the longest time again anyway
Barusamikosu
You don't need to learn hidden unless you want to.

I think you should be playing more nomod and easier maps. (If you still want to play HD, try playing the map nomod first)
Endaris
Hidden changes your perception of high AR. It's a good way to improve when you're playing ARs you're comfortable with but if it's too high AR it doesn't really do much for you as the thing Synpoo wrote is pretty much guaranteed to happen in that case.
Good thing about hidden is that it makes your jumps 23% snappier. And it looks cool. And you learn to play more by ear than by eye.
Therefore it will mostly help with playing hidden as B1rd said.
Saphirshroom

Endaris wrote:

And you learn to play more by ear than by eye.
Not very much, only if you're not familiar with the AR. And if you're not familiar with it, you can also learn that by playing nomod.
Endaris

Saphirshroom wrote:

Endaris wrote:

And you learn to play more by ear than by eye.
Not very much, only if you're not familiar with the AR. And if you're not familiar with it, you can also learn that by playing nomod.
There are 2 ways of achieving a hit that's right in the middle of the hit error bar.
The first is listening closely and tapping perfectly on time
The second is watching the approach circle really hard and tap when it's at the perfect point.
You still have sort of an orientation through the note disappearing but you lack an accurate measurement of when to tap therefore having to focus more on the first method. Especially for a beginner Hidden shows when you just press your keyboard because there's a circle and not because you're focusing on the music.
Vuelo Eluko
your snapping gets better

seriously
DahplA
Yes this actually does. I tried it once for about a week and it helped me improve. It only works if you can read hidden though, but yeah it generally improves your snapping, reading and accuracy.
Vuelo Eluko
but to be fair any kind of playing will bring improvement
I Give Up
If you want to get good at hidden then play more hidden. If you want to get good at nomod then play more nomod.
gregest
become a perma hidden player,get good acc and free pp
darkmiz

Riince wrote:

seriously

trebby
It trains your reading and aim. And, as Endaris said, it changes your perception of high AR.
Vuelo Eluko

darkmiz wrote:

Riince wrote:

seriously

where's the DT? its funner with it, in my soon to fc folder
gh0st-

B1rd wrote:

It will help with hidden.

CptBlackBird wrote:

become a perma hidden player,get good acc and free pp

Barusamikosu wrote:

You don't need to learn hidden unless you want to.

I think you should be playing more nomod and easier maps. (If you still want to play HD, try playing the map nomod first)
I don't agree with this last sentence. If you want to learn HD, you should play new songs on HD (sight read).
JonQuy

gh0st- wrote:

I don't agree with this last sentence. If you want to learn HD, you should play new songs on HD (sight read).
I agree. I am two months in and can fc up to 4.5 with hd. If you believe you can achieve.
Barusamikosu

gh0st- wrote:

I only said that because I wasn't sure what that would do to his acc/reading in the long run, but if high acc sightread FCs on complex maps are possible for him with HD, then I guess it can't hurt.
ZenithPhantasm
It helps with actually listening to the rhythm.
dung eater
Learning how to play really is a good way to improve.
Raniemi
Definitely helped my accuracy by making me less reliant on approach circles.

Also gave me a ton of pp!
Yuudachi-kun

Raniemi wrote:

Definitely helped my accuracy by making me less reliant on approach circles.

Also gave me a ton of pp!
I've finally caught up to the 100% acc guy.
Raniemi

Kheldragar wrote:

I've finally caught up to the 100% acc guy.
This 100% accuracy thing is limiting my farming potentials to a great extent :(
Yuudachi-kun
And I used to be happy with 93% fcs.
Saphirshroom

Raniemi wrote:

This 100% accuracy thing is limiting my farming potentials to a great extent :(
Why do you not use Perfect in your top plays btw?
Isn't it kinda risky because you could get 100 on the last note? Or do you then just replay until you get the SS?
Raniemi

Saphirshroom wrote:

Isn't it kinda risky because you could get 100 on the last note? Or do you then just replay until you get the SS?
I don't use Perfect because it feels like there is more pressure when I'm playing.
If I get a 100 on the last note I would just replay it for a SS
Yuudachi-kun

Raniemi wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

I don't use Perfect because it feels like there is more pressure when I'm playing.
If I get a 100 on the last note I would just replay it for a SS
Have you ever have a map that did this to you but you couldn't SS it right away?
Raniemi

Kheldragar wrote:

Have you ever have a map that did this to you but you couldn't SS it right away?
Yes.. I have had a map where I had to retry it ~200 times
-Makishima S-
@Raniemi - respect, big respect for self-discipline, patient and conscientiousness. Hard to find such a player in any game.

On topic, i feel like HD is more and more funny to play, honestly i am afraid that i will stick to it for longer time. Just my curiosity, you can get bad habits from playing it? I mean, like in my case playing "unplayable" maps gives button mashing bad habit which i try to avoid. Should i take special care about something?
pandaBee
I would not recommend anyone near your rank to start learning HD
-Makishima S-

pandaBee wrote:

Can i get logic explanation of this?

My feeling while playing hidden:

Since i figured out that my reading problem is based on putting eyes betwin notes, grouping them and not threating every single one as "single note" (dunno if this is clear Oo), also lack of ability to read numbers in fast succession which means failing weird groups like stars, repeatable squares etc, i found that playing HD force me to do this in case to not fail map. Additionaly aim issue, somehow hd makes me pass some map parts easier than nomod.

Another reason - i literaly hate DT/NC, i cannot play disorted songs, literaly. As someone who life with music in ears, when i try to play DT, it's just disgusting for me, there is no song what doesn't sound like shit with either DT mode, so i am left with HR/HD mods.

If someone experienced with HD feels like make good explanation what HD affect in good and bad aspect, i will be greatfull, thank you right now.
pandaBee

aisakatayga wrote:

pandaBee wrote:

Can i get logic explanation of this?
Because you can progress way faster by just playing standard, nomod. If you're doing it for fun, then that's different. Do whatever the hell you want to do.

But if it's for improvement, then why even think about mods at such a low rank(skill level). Just focus on learning the basics without any fancy mods to distract you from what's important.
show more