forum

What is the best way to improve mania skill?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Keihyan
Hey guys I started to play mania 2 days ago, but I dont know what to do. some easy diffs are 4k but others are 7k. I fell 7k is so difficult for me now.so Should I practice 4k only?? or both of them? or play all keys (5k 6k )
I also want to know keysettings I use default setting , is that ok??

I hope I got lots of imformation and I can be better mania player
Jinjin
Judging by your recent osu!mania plays, you have been playing autoconverts (which are maps that are meant to play for standard mode, but was converted to mania mode)

One of the problems about autoconverts is that it converts the easier difficulties to 4k and harder difficulties to 7k. Obviously, this is going to make new mania players discouraged from playing 7K because they feel that it is insanely hard.

I suggest that you go look for beatmaps that have been SPECIFICALLY made for osu!mania. The patterns that you will see in osu!mania only maps are much better than what you would get from an autoconverted map.

Besides this, the only way to improve in mania is to play and play and play. Getting exposed to new patterns and adjusting yourself to getting to read the notes well takes time, but you'll see yourself improving.

You can start out with 4K at first, but if you feel ambitious, I suggest that you get used to the higher key modes too. Try 5K and 6K if 7K feels too difficult at the moment.

I hope that helps ^^
Topic Starter
Keihyan

iJinjin wrote:

Judging by your recent osu!mania plays, you have been playing autoconverts (which are maps that are meant to play for standard mode, but was converted to mania mode)

One of the problems about autoconverts is that it converts the easier difficulties to 4k and harder difficulties to 7k. Obviously, this is going to make new mania players discouraged from playing 7K because they feel that it is insanely hard.

I suggest that you go look for beatmaps that have been SPECIFICALLY made for osu!mania. The patterns that you will see in osu!mania only maps are much better than what you would get from an autoconverted map.

Besides this, the only way to improve in mania is to play and play and play. Getting exposed to new patterns and adjusting yourself to getting to read the notes well takes time, but you'll see yourself improving.

You can start out with 4K at first, but if you feel ambitious, I suggest that you get used to the higher key modes too. Try 5K and 6K if 7K feels too difficult at the moment.

I hope that helps ^^
thanks! I downloaded the map for mania! Im gonna practice hard , I want to know the best key setting. DO u know?
IamBaum
Hi there
There is actually no "best key setting", they differ from person to person.
But most key setups are very similiar, just the actual key position is different for most people.
my setup for example is (German keyboard layout):

4K: SD KL
5k: SD Space KL (There are some ppl who use the 3rd key with space, and some others without space).
6k: ASD KLÖ
7K: ASD Space KLÖ
8k usually has 2 different kinds of setup a 7+1k setup and a 8k setup. I'm not quite sure, but i think most o!m players use a 7+1k setup.
The difference is, that 7+1k will be handled as a 7k setup, just with another special key on the outer left/right side, that special key will usually be used less often than the rest.
8k will be handled as a symmetrical key setup, where no key get's considerd as a special key, so they all will be used the same way.
7k+1: Shift ASD Space JKL
8K: ASDF JKLÖ

So basically Asymmetrical key setups will usually be played with a "special key" in the middle, and almost everyone uses the space bar to trigger that one.

I think this should already be enough for keys, try to concentrate on 4k-7k at the beginning, most ppl don't even bother with 8k+ and 1-3k.

Btw here is also a link for a guide, which may help u to improve faster in mania :)
lenpai
Just something, although starting with 4k will make get a good grip of osu mania and have a quicker learning pace. Learning how to play 7k first can do better in the long run since scaling down the keycounts is easier than starting with 4k then play 7k.

If it so happens that 7k is just too hard, it doesnt matter (ignoring pp) if you play lower keycounts as long as you enjou the game.
rmroy1114

Kei1koh2 wrote:

Hey guys I started to play mania 2 days ago, but I dont know what to do. some easy diffs are 4k but others are 7k. I fell 7k is so difficult for me now.so Should I practice 4k only?? or both of them? or play all keys (5k 6k )
I also want to know keysettings I use default setting , is that ok??

I hope I got lots of imformation and I can be better mania player
I think you should concentrate 1st on a standard mod like 4k or 5k like me.
I reached 3 star maps on 4k and now practicing on 5k+ its easier than playing 7k at 1st try on mania.

so sorry about the grammar i dont speak english much :lol:
Bobbias
The more time you spend at lower key modes like 4k and 5k, the harder it gets to learn to play higher key modes. It takes longer to get used to higher key modes, but if you learn high key modes early, it's very easy to learn to play lower key modes later. Remember, rhythm games reward dedication.
Cuppp
As Bobbias said, play 7k and you'll get better at the lower key modes in the process.
-Maus-
And what if he can't play 7k for shit, will you force him to?
Sadisticpenguin
Back in my days there is only 7 keys! (O2jam) *Kidding don't take it too seriously*.
I would really recommend start with 7keys though, the only issue i had was the dam spacebar so i always focus on hitting the spacebar note and make sure i hit it.
dennischan
Do I need to practice 8k?
I started with 7k and 4k and can play anything under 7k, but cant do 8k.
abraker
I started playing 4k and it took me a several weeks to reach 2 stars. By the time I started doing 3 star maps 4k maps, I started to do some 7k maps. Eventually I started Acing 2 star 7k maps. I tried doing 8k as well and that took me some time to get used to. But it this early stage, I suggest just getting used to the keys and possibly check out some skins.

Later on you will run into problems though There was a point until very recently where a hit a rock solid wall and couldn't improve on anything more than 3.6 stars. I watched myself gradually go down by about 1,000 ranks over the course of 4 months. Look at my play count, I played every day with little or no improvement. Lesson #1: More practice DOES NOT equal to more improvement. The key is to play regularly, not obsessively.

I also like a good challenge. Don't quit just because a map is too hard for you. Play through it and see how long you can last without failing. Put on on the no fail mod and aim for a personal highscore. You will see improvement throughout time. Also it's really sad for me to see players afraid of higher keymodes. I started out playing 1 star 9k for several weeks until I got used to the keys well enough to do 2 stars. Even now I mess keys up in 8k. A trick I use to test key fluency is practicing doing rolls/stairs in break times. The more fluent your rolls are, the less likely you are to mistake a key for another.

A couple months ago I finally was able to do 3 star 7k and about a month ago I started passing 4 star 7k. With the 9k and above keymodes added, I started playing 9k and 10k from time to time. Currently I can almost S 4 star 4k, B 4 star 7k, and pass 3 star 8k, 9k, and 10k. As for improvement, I'm trying to break 5 star barrier in 4k, get better accuracy in 7k, improve on 8k,9k, and 10k, and figure out how to play 12k. So given a year, this is where I am up to; it will take time and patience to get better, but as rrtyui famously said, "plz enjoy game".

Here is my mania graph since I joined just for the record:
Bobbias

Transformau5 wrote:

And what if he can't play 7k for shit, will you force him to?
Nobody is ever forced to play anything. I don't play 8k because the extra column completely obliterates my ability to play anything. It'd be better if I did, but I don't care enough to force myself to do something I don't enjoy.

The most important thing about playing Osu!Mania is having fun.

The thing about when people ask how to improve is that often (but not always) the best ways to improve may not be particularly fun. If that's the case, it becomes a choice: do you play purely for fun and ignore the advice, or do you take the advice, grit your teeth, and hope that the payout is worth it?

I hated the transition from playing 4k only in stepmania to playing 7k in o2jam. It took me something like 3 months to pass a level 10 o2jam chart (and yet some people START learning o2jam by playing level 10's). It was awful, but at the time I was willing to spend that time playing terribly easy crap until I learned to play o2 well enough to begin enjoying myself.
-Maus-

abraker wrote:

Breathtaking story of improvement, training and stuff
And I was asked by a friend whether I heard of osu
and I didn't like standard
so I played mania as I had passed Guitar Hero not long before
and then I stopped
and then in last year's August I started playing again, I was rank 80k and learned 2* 7k then
then I found out what ranked maps were and in 6 months got to this position
Now I'm the guy you give hard af maps to xD
End of story