forum

[invalid] Separate rankings for using different hands?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Weikarczaena
I've recently gotten the urge to become (sorta) ambidextrous, and osu! is a great game for training your hand-eye coordination. So I thought, what if there was an option to switch your account's ranking to your other hand? Say you tap with your left and aim with your right (like me); it would be awesome to switch account modes to "left handed mode" (or something) and have your left hand's PP be different than your right. You could get real data on exactly how good your non-dominant hand is at coordination compared to your dominant hand! That would be sweet in my opinion.

Now I know that there are many ways to train your other hand without this feature, and (perhaps more importantly) it would literally double the amount of server space required to track all that data, but I think it would be kinda cool to see how different your left and right hands can be in the global rankings.

Some issues I can think of right off the bat would be:

"How do you know that they aren't just switching modes and playing with the same hand? Isn't that the same as just making a second account?"

--- Yeah I really can't think of a way to get around this...

"Nobody would use it and all that extra server space would be wasted"

--- Perhaps include some system where you actually have to dedicate your time to the mode for the rank to stay? E.G. if your left-handed account hasn't been used in like a week then delete the data. Or Just don't give them the space until they "opt in" or something. That is, unless the server space isn't actually a problem... In which case then this argument is invalidated.

"Can't you just log off and play left? You don't hurt your rank that way and you can still train your other hand..."

--- Yes, that is a way to do it, but I'm talking about getting officially ranked with your other hand. Actually having a whole different set of PP so you can compare the performance of both hands side by side.

That's all I've got for now. I'm open to ideas though! Thoughts?

EDIT 1:

Another idea I just thought of is if your other hand PP was only local. So, you switch modes and it essentially logs you off, but it stores your play data for your other hand on your PC. Then you can click a button to update what your global rank would be if you had played online and it'll pull all the online data it needs in order to calculate that, but it only stores it on your computer. That way it doesn't affect online ratings at all but you can still measure progress of performance by PP and global rank. Thoughts on this idea?
Bara-
How does the game know which hand you use?
drum drum

baraatje123 wrote:

How does the game know which hand you use?
Topic Starter
Weikarczaena
You simply have an option in your profile to specify "handedness". It would be the same as specifying "tablet/keyboard" in your profile but it'll be like "dominant hand is right" or whatever.
drum drum
anyone can lie about it to take advantage over other players
Deimos
it's like asking to add Tablet+Keyboard / Tablet only / Mouse only / Mouse+ Keyboard / TouchScreen Rankings

it's simply not realizable
Topic Starter
Weikarczaena

drum drum wrote:

anyone can lie about it to take advantage over other players
Yes, that's the one thing I couldn't come up with an idea of how to fix. However, as with my EDIT 1, perhaps this is just a local thing instead? It tracks your scores and such in "left handed mode" offline, and then it downloads all the necessary data required to tell you what your global rank would be if you were playing ranked with your other hand. That way, there's no global scores actually uploaded to the servers.
DENKOUSEKKA
Can't wait to see 90% of the osu! community become left-handed
WingSilent

Deimos wrote:

it's like asking to add Tablet+Keyboard / Tablet only / Mouse only / Mouse+ Keyboard / TouchScreen Rankings

it's simply not realizable
Yeah..
FrzR
lolwot

inb4 playing mouse only while using an H skin
Oinari-sama
I don't see this ever happening
Vuelo Eluko
this is dumber than the thread i made while hallucinating from a fever about letting pending beatmaps made by deceased players be taken by mutual friends.
Topic Starter
Weikarczaena

Riince wrote:

this is dumber than the thread i made while hallucinating from a fever about letting pending beatmaps made by deceased players be taken by mutual friends.
Thanks....
Bara-
Lol