forum

Rock Band 3

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loginer
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/201 ... 0_VA_N.htm

KEYBOARD ADDED, NOT A HASBRO TOYPRO MODE WITH FULL DRUMSET, ACTUAL KEYBOARD TRACK AND REAL GUITARSTONS OF NEW SONGSPLASTIC INSTRUMENT GAME OF THE YEAR

[flash=486,412:fb181]http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9/30317506001?isVid=1&videoId=90946364001&playerID=30317506001&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true[/flash:fb181]
LuigiHann
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... -so-far-/1
(my personal favorites emphasized)

2000s
Combat Baby -- Metric
Dead End Friends -- Them Crooked Vultures
Get Free -- The Vines
Lasso -- Phoenix
Me Enamora -- Juanes
Oh My God -- Ida Maria
Portions of Foxes -- Rilo Kiley
The Hardest Button to Button -- The White Stripes

1990s
Been Caught Stealing -- Jane's Addiction
In the Meantime -- Spacehog
Plush -- Stone Temple Pilots
Walkin' on the Sun -- Smash Mouth

1980s
Crazy Train -- Ozzy Osbourne
Here I Go Again -- Whitesnake

I Love Rock and Roll -- Joan Jett
Just Like Heaven -- The Cure
Rainbow in the Dark -- Dio
The Power of Love -- Huey Lewis and the News
Sister Christian -- Night Ranger

1960s-1970s
Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen
Break On Through -- The Doors
Crosstown Traffic -- Jimi Hendrix
Rolled
Ew. I can play every instrument on insane, now I need to learn this fucking keyboard :(
LuigiHann

Rolled wrote:

Ew. I can play every instrument on insane, now I need to learn this fucking keyboard :(
And "pro mode" for the instruments you know already. You get to learn about cymbals and individual strings :D
Mogsy
Now I might actually get a Rock Band title. I'm in love with the song list, and the keyboard is something I feel like I'd already be good at. <3
NotShinta
Pretty good song list.
Yunacat
Oh wow, this sounds really cool! I almost thought it was a joke when I read "real guitar" in there somewhere, but wow...

I've been a fan already, and this makes me really want the third game. I'm interested in the keyboard despite it having so many keys... and the added features, like the party play setup and the redesigned characters are awesome! O: Definitely getting this when it comes out~~
LuigiHann
Pictures of instruments!

Look at all those goddamn buttons! It's just as Loginer predicted all those years ago

Real stringed guitar, if you want to spend the extra money! Both guitars work as real midi devices, and this one works literally as a real guitar!

The keyboard/keytar controller! It's also a real midi device

A midi-to-controller box, if you already have a keyboard or e-drum and want to adapt it for gameplay! I might be able to use my keytar after all...

Finally, a screenshot of gameplay with all instruments in "pro mode:"

Also note that all this stuff is optional, and you can play the "old way" if you want, and within a band of players you can have people playing regular and people playing Pro mode. You can also apparently play the (non-pro-mode) keyboard parts on a guitar controller, and vice versa, so you won't have to miss out on too much if you don't buy the new hardware.
Pialouize
Omg that looks so cool, I haven't seen the instuments before. Really cool.
I can't wait!! :D
Ph0X
The first 2-3 sentences in that video makes me so sick. I feel like punching him the fucking face.
How dare he show that game, which looks exactly like any other fucking gh or rb game, and say that it has the most innovation in any game ever.

LOOK, WE ADDED A NEW INSTRUMENT, NOW ITS A WHOLE NEW AMAZING GAME.

Also, the way the notes are shown on the screen for the keyboard is absolutely horrible. And it'll be even worst on expert.

[/rant]

And yes, I'm hard to please when it comes to videogames
nardii
The keyboard is cool, and I'll also be able to use it as a midi keyboard which I needed anyway! The distinction between cymbals and drums is nice as well.

Ph0x wrote:

and say that it has the most innovation in any game ever.
All I heard was "more innovation than any other music game" which isn't THAT much of a stretch.
awp
aw man Bohemian Rhapsody is the only song from that list that I'd look forward to that wasn't already in a GH title =

oh well it's hardly a comprehensive track list and 95% of the songs I like are usually in the last two tiers which MUST BE A SECRET !!!

Liking the "real guitar" guitars, though it just means I'll be bad at it. Also yay 600 dollar drum set fully compatible with RB? That is nifty. oh wait Guitar Hero already did that a couple years back and it's what I'm using now
Ph0X

nardi11011 wrote:

Ph0x wrote:

and say that it has the most innovation in any game ever.
All I heard was "more innovation than any other music game" which isn't THAT much of a stretch.
elite beat agent? audiosurf? ddr?

Arguably, you could say that GH1 or RB1 were the most innovative games, since it brought the most new stuff. Everything else was just adding couple little extra features.

I still believe that the display for the keyboard will be unreadable.
LuigiHann

Ph0X wrote:

elite beat agent? audiosurf? ddr?
Nowadays, when people say "music game," they're referring to the "toy instruments" genre which includes RB, GH, and clones of RB and GH. I hate that, it sucks, and people who do it are stupid, but that's what he means and in that sense, RB3 does appear to genuinely be the largest step forward in this sector of the genre since it was initiated in GH1. I do agree that there have been abstracted music games that have been more inventive, but RB3 will likely be the game that brings the most to the table in terms of representational instrument simulation.

Ph0X wrote:

I still believe that the display for the keyboard will be unreadable.
I don't think so. I mean, you can see it in the screenshots:

The second picture is only 490 pixels wide, and the keys in the track are pretty distinguishable. If you're playing with a full band on a CRT television, you might have some trouble, but in all other situations you should be fine. The colored sections also help break it down into a more easily digestible chunks. Having the keyboard lanes shift to show different parts of the keyboard will be an interesting element.

Not to mention that you can start on Easy Pro keyboard and work your way up, or if you hate new things you can play the non-pro keyboard mode, which just uses 5 keys GH-style, or you can even play non-pro keyboard parts on a guitar controller if you don't want to buy new stuff.

For readability, I am more worried about the "Pro Guitar" mode, with all its tiny strings and numbers, but again starting on Easy Pro and working one's way up should help to overcome those mental hurdles so it's not too overwhelming. Although I don't think I'll buy either of the new guitar controllers, at least not right away.
Topic Starter
Loginer
Really looking forward to playing Pro Mode (haters gonna hate).

Remco32
This looks really fun. I'm looking forward to this!
Rolled
Full setlist:

SPOILER
Amy Winehouse – Rehab
Anthrax – Caught in a Mosh
At the Drive-In – One Armed Scissor
Avenged Sevenfold – Beast and the Harlot
The B-52s – Rock Lobster
The Beach Boys – Good Vibrations (Live)
Big Country – In a Big Country
Blondie – Heart of Glass
Bob Marley & The Wailers – Get Up, Stand Up
The Bronx – False Alarm
Chicago – 25 or 6 to 4
The Cure – Just Like Heaven
David Bowie – Space Oddity
Deep Purple – Smoke on the Water
Def Leppard – Foolin’
Devo – Whip It
Dio – Rainbow in the Dark
Dire Straits – Walk of Life
The Doobie Brothers – China Grove
The Doors – Break on Through (To the Other Side)
Dover – King George
Echo & the Bunnymen – The Killing Moon
Elton John – Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting
Faith No More – MidLife Crisis
Filter – Hey Man, Nice Shot
The Flaming Lips – Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1
Foreigner – Cold as Ice
Golden Earring – Radar Love
HIM – Killing Loneliness
Huey Lewis and the News – The Power of Love
Hypernova – Viva la Resistance
Ida Maria – Oh My God
INXS – Need You Tonight
The J. Geils Band – Centerfold
James Brown – I Got You (I Feel Good)
Jane’s Addiction – Been Caught Stealing
The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Crosstown Traffic
Joan Jett – I Love Rock N’ Roll
John Lennon – Imagine
Juanes – Me Enamora
Lynyrd Skynyrd – Free Bird
Maná – Oye Mi Amor
Marilyn Manson – The Beautiful People
Metric – Combat Baby
The Muffs – Outer Space
Night Ranger – Sister Christian
Ozzy Osbourne – Crazy Train
Paramore – Misery Business
Phish – Llama
Phoenix – Lasso
The Police – Don’t Stand So Close to Me
Poni Hoax – Antibodies
Pretty Girls Make Graves – Something Bigger, Something Brighter
Primus – Jerry Was a Race Car Driver
Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
Queens of the Stone Age – No One Knows
Rammstein – Du Hast
The Ramones – I Wanna Be Sedated
Raveonettes – Last Dance
Rilo Kiley – Portions of Foxes
Riverboat Gamblers – Don’t Bury Me… I’m Still Not Dead
Roxette – The Look
Slipknot – Before I Forget
Smash Mouth – Walkin’ on the Sun
The Smiths – Stop Me If You’ve Heard This One Before
The Sounds – Living in America
Spacehog – In the Meantime
Steve Miller Band – Fly Like An Eagle
Stone Temple Pilots – Plush
Swingin’ Utters – This Bastard’s Life
T.Rex – 20th Century Boy
Tears for Fears – Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Tegan and Sara – The Con
Them Crooked Vultures – Dead End Friends
Tokio Hotel – Humanoid
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers – I Need to Know
The Vines – Get Free
War – Low Rider
Warren Zevon – Werewolves of London
The White Stripes – The Hardest Button to Button
Whitesnake – Here I Go Again
The Who – I Can See for Miles
Yes – Roundabout

I would buy it just for the simple fact that they brought back Freebird. Have this shit marked on every calendar in my house.

Also:
Harmonix has confirmed that it is updating the entire Rock Band catalog to work in Pro Mode with the drums -- for free. That's more than 2000 songs, including DLC and all imported songs.
I'm more curious about adding keyboard tracks though :( Keyboard/guitar tracks are going to be 100% interchangeable in RB3, though. As in, using a keyboard for guitar/bass, and vise versa.
awp
Yeah, I'd seen this setlist, LH linked it a week or so ago. Honestly, I think I'm less interested in RB3's set list than I was in Rock Band's. And my picks from Rock Band were pretty thin - I wouldn't import it into RB2 even if it were free.

It's actually quite an insult that they added keyboards to the game and didn't include a single Dream Theater song. Oh well. DLC, thanks
LuigiHann

Rolled wrote:

Also:
Harmonix has confirmed that it is updating the entire Rock Band catalog to work in Pro Mode with the drums -- for free. That's more than 2000 songs, including DLC and all imported songs.
I'm more curious about adding keyboard tracks though :( Keyboard/guitar tracks are going to be 100% interchangeable in RB3, though. As in, using a keyboard for guitar/bass, and vise versa.
Yeah, the pro drums charting is already there, in the files we already have. It's just been unused until RB3. There have been some murmurs about gradually/eventually adding keyboard and multipart vocal charts to existing DLC, but no real announcement or confirmation about when that might happen, or how it will be handled.

awp wrote:

It's actually quite an insult that they added keyboards to the game and didn't include a single Dream Theater song. Oh well. DLC, thanks
They did seem to mostly shy away from hardcore metal stuff on this setlist, probably because even average rock songs will be mind-numbingly difficult in Pro Mode, until people get used to it, so the disc needs to have a broad learning curve. I wouldn't be surprised if they break out some metal DLC shortly after the game launches, though. And Dream Theater was supposedly going to release some stuff on RBN, but nothing ever came of it... now that it's been confirmed that RBN will soon be able to have keyboard charts, they might do it.
awp
I was expecting that.

I'm also kind of hoping they extend the 10-minute limit to 15 or 20 though to make room for more proggy songs.
LuigiHann

Rolled
That was your top priority on release? Its cool though, lol. I've been playing pro keys pretty much since midnight, and I still get raped by medium. I have a lot of top 10s though, but I have maximum hours into the game atm :X It's bed time, though.
LuigiHann

Rolled wrote:

That was your top priority on release?
Always. My initial path through tour mode was based on unlocking those blazers first and foremost, then unlocking some chaps for Starr.

I've been playing a lot of standard 5-button keys on Hard just to get the feel of the keys, but also playing a few songs on Easy and Medium pro keys from time to time. I'm also excited about Pro Drums but I can't do that too much in the middle of the night sadly
awp
stop making me want this I can't afford the room and would prefer not to expend the cash
Behon
The game is great, but everything involving the website launch has been fucked up terribly. Wait until next week before game linking and battle sharing? That stuff should have been there at launch.
Remco32
Just played 5 hours straight with 3 friends. Such a great game!
Rolled
Anybody else having problems synching key calibration with guitar? (haven't tested drums) I can get one or the other perfect, but not them both :/

Also yeah, there are quite a few bugs in the game that I hope will get patched up, but I don't count on it. I have #1 place scores on rock lobster keys, centerfold keys, and one more that I forget, and none of them updated to the high score boards :/.
Behon
Anyone else want to share usernames on the official site so we can follow each other?

http://www.rockband.com/users/Behonkiss
Topic Starter
Loginer
It's been over two weeks since release now, and not a single shipment of RB3 instruments has reached Sweden yet. No ETA available, either. Fantastic.

Also, Viacom's selling Harmonix for some reason.
awp
Yeah apparently Rock Band 3 is an awesome game and selling very poorly. When it released in the UK, it was the 26th best selling game that week. It sold some 7000 copies in its first week which is pretty pitiful (again, I think that's just UK statistics, but still food for thought)
LuigiHann
Rock Band always sells terribly in the UK because it's not advertised or displayed in most stores.

RB3 sold reasonably well in the US. And for the announcement to come when it did, Viacom must have been planning on selling the company well before the game even launched
Behon

LuigiHann wrote:

RB3 sold reasonably well in the US. And for the announcement to come when it did, Viacom must have been planning on selling the company well before the game even launched
Are you sure? I heard it sold less than 100k copies and only reached #15 in the monthly charts, both really bad for a high-profile game.
Lybydose

Rolled wrote:

Anybody else having problems synching key calibration with guitar? (haven't tested drums) I can get one or the other perfect, but not them both :/.
I've only play Rock Band like twice ever. It seemed like the keyboard was synced poorly. As in, I was hitting all the notes super early and missing because of it (or maybe I was hitting super late, I don't remember). By contrast, the drums and guitar felt fine to me, but I'm incredibly terrible at the guitar.

Also, half the charts are impossible for me to read without the speed increase mod, but everyone else I was playing with (that's played more than twice) would bitch if I turned it on. They need to make that player specific rather than applying it to the entire band.
yeahyeahyeahhh

Lybydose wrote:

Rolled wrote:

Anybody else having problems synching key calibration with guitar? (haven't tested drums) I can get one or the other perfect, but not them both :/.
I've only play Rock Band like twice ever. It seemed like the keyboard was synced poorly. As in, I was hitting all the notes super early and missing because of it (or maybe I was hitting super late, I don't remember). By contrast, the drums felt fine to me.
You're just bad at playing the keyboard!
LuigiHann

Behonkiss wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

Are you sure? I heard it sold less than 100k copies and only reached #15 in the monthly charts, both really bad for a high-profile game.
It's hard to tell, since googling "rock band 3 sales figures" only brings up articles about the poor UK sales, but VG Charts suggests that even the 360 version alone did better than the estimate you heard in the last week of October

But I am pretty certain that word Viacom's decision to sell Harmonix came way too soon after the launch of RB3 for the decision to have been based on the results of that launch. It may have been based on their projections of those results, but it still would have been made well before the game actually came out for the news to hit when it did
awp
they've actually started selling the peripherals for RB3 in stores around here now

I like how the RB3 KB set is something you can actually put in your backpack but I don't like how it's $150
Mashley
Thinking of getting the keyboard bundle... would it be a good purchase? It's £70, though I have a £30 gift card so it's £40 cost to me....
LuigiHann
Keyboard is fun.
OzzyOzrock
The Billy Joel songs are hard as hell on pro keys.

Mashley
Alright, keyboard bundle's getting here on Tuesday :3
Edit: Oooo, it suddenly turned up today. Pro keys are funnn, but so damn confusing ;_;