forum

[invalid] Solution for multi-accounting

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Ph0X
And back I am with another controversial suggestion. I'd like to a have a small discussion about this if you guys don't mind.

So, from the beginning, I had hard time understanding the rules about multi-accounting. I can see how it could get crazy if each person had a load of accounts, and it would be really hard to recognize each other, so that's an acceptable argument. But then, you need to think WHY would people be even tempted to create a second account.

The only reason that comes to my mind is for accuracy purpose, so here's my suggestion.
I know "Unranked" mods have been suggested and denied million times before, but my idea goes beyond that.

So, the problem is, let's say, someone wants to play multi for fun, nothing serious, he doesn't want to concentrate and get 99% accuracy, but then, he either has to force EVERYONE to use Spinout and have their score not count, or fail at the end, which pretty much ruins the multi experience for him.

There's also the issue to me where, score only records on one difficulty but accuracy records on all, which I find rather inconsistent and unfair, but that's a whole other discussion.

My suggestion is, why not have a whole TOGGLE for the account, where the person can simply play for fun, where no score or accuracy will be recorded at all. I know, you'll say, people will use it to practice, but are you gonna punish all the others because some bastards are gonna practice with it? They already do practice with all the different methods that I won't name. You might make their life slightly easier, but you're making the experience for all the others considerably better. [Insert DRM analogy here]

Anyway, that was my argument for it. If you think I wen't wrong anywhere in there, feel free to point it out. I personally think this would make the multiplayer experience far better, and might even solve the multi-accounting problem.

Although, their reason for having two accounts might be completely different, then I'm completely off.
Ekaru
Accuracy is already screwed up anyways, what with people quitting before their non-S gets put into the records. So I don't really care, it can go either way for all I care.

However, there are more possible reasons for someone making another account; accuracy isn't the only one. Here are a few:

-Trolling
-More mapping slots
-They didn't like their name
-They want to occupy multiple spots on a map's ranking
-They got banned on a different account
-They're weird

So this really wouldn't solve multi-accounting I don't think.
anonymous_old
Or, they just want to start over. For example, I know one ex-#1 player who tried to get banned purposefully so he could restart, because he became bored of osu!.

I'm not suggesting a "reset score" mod; I'm just stating another reason why players multi-account.

Oh, and there's cheating, of course. ^__^
mekadon_old
^ to strager

Ekaru wrote:

Accuracy is already screwed up anyways, what with people quitting before their non-S gets put into the records. So I don't really care, it can go either way for all I care. Regaining accuracy is still possible; just SS many songs until you get the accuracy you want

However, there are more possible reasons for someone making another account; accuracy isn't the only one. Here are a few:

-Trolling One of the main purpose of it
-More mapping slots
-They didn't like their name Might be true
-They want to occupy multiple spots on a map's ranking This is plain fucking show-off
-They got banned on a different account Agreed. Remember that guy?
-They're weird 99% true

So this really wouldn't solve multi-accounting I don't think.
Also I think some people would multi-account in order to give more stars?
Moral value here: -Choose your name wisely before you even want to sign up
-Work harder on playing
-Stop acting like a jerk by occuying multiple spots on a certain map
-Stop spamming and speak wisely
-Stop being wierd
Roga-don

strager wrote:

because he became bored of osu!.
+1
I have played a lot of beatmaps in Taiko mode, but I'm kind of bored, if my Scores would be reseted that would be funny to replay them !
(sorry, I haven't a good english :lol: )
Topic Starter
Ph0X
Well those are valid reasons I guess, about multi-accounting, and most of those are valid banning reasons, but this thread is more about the people who care about their score/accuracy.

I still believe it's a legitimate request to be able to play multiplayer without having to worry about the score, nor having to force everyone else to not have their score count.

I don't really see how multi-accounting could be used to cheating, but I doubt this would help them in anyway.
It would be dumb to use it as practice, since, imagine they get 100%, it would be a waste. They can simply play and quit at the end if they aren't happy with their score instead. Works far better.
Gabi
While your request seems different, it has basicly been suggested before, and it will most likley be denied. We all know peppy hates toggles anyway

But yea, your "Toggle" idea is basicly the same as having a mod where no score is recorded.
Lilac
Could a reason be to give more stars to maps without the need to get kudosu?
Topic Starter
Ph0X

Gabi wrote:

While your request seems different, it has basicly been suggested before, and it will most likley be denied. We all know peppy hates toggles anyway

But yea, your "Toggle" idea is basicly the same as having a mod where no score is recorded.
My toggle is mainly for Multiplayer, and where it's different is that it's only for you, and doesn't force everyone else in the room to play unranked games.
Feno_old
I like the idea,I personally don't really care that much about my acc and whatnot,but I do see how some people would like to have that laid back option,so to me that sounds like a good idea.
awp
Some (but not all) reasons not to multiaccount, in no particular order:

-Name: if people change names all the time, it becomes impossible to keep track of who is who in some cases. Face it: some of you don't have enough personality to be identified by anything other than a name.
-DB stats: it'd be nice if you didn't obfuscate DB stats by having multiple accounts
-Ban evasion: this is obvious
-BSS: more accounts = more available upload slots to dump more shitty shit
-Scoreboards: Not satisfied with #1? Get #1 and #2! People will like that, you dipstick
-Tournaments: No, you can't have "extra chances"

oh that's kind of off topic that's what I get for stopping after "this is the only reason I can think of why people multi-account"
TheVileOne
More thoughts on this? I think this is invalid.
Bites

TheVileOne wrote:

More thoughts on this? I think this is invalid.
It's also two years old, but regardless:

My brother is a mouse only player and has been for a while. However, he would also like to play with a tablet.

It doesn't seem like too much of a dilemma, but he's made it very clear to me that he wishes to keep all of his top ranks on his current account to his mouse only scores, and be able to register tablet scores separately.

The only way for him to do this would be to multi-account, which he knows is against rules and so he doesn't do it - so some sort of solution or compromise for this sort of thing would be wonderful if possible.
VoidnOwO
:oops: