forum

[duplicate] More video formats

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
JasperNL
Hello there :)

My suggestion to Osu! has to do with the video formats. Right now only AVI-formats are allowed, and so far as I know only AVI files (DivX encoded always works) are the only file formats that are supported. The problem with this file format, is that for some quality it takes a lot of MB's...

In the recent years the sizes of videos went down rapidly (to allow streaming and viewing on the internet) and formats like webm and vp9 have a very high quality and uses little hard drive space (the same goes for mp4, but that files are still quite large).

When these formats can be used, videos of higher quality could be played, and the downloads will become smaller.

Thanks for reading :)
Flanster
WMV and FLV are also supported. This has been requested before.

t/97868
t/202006
Topic Starter
JasperNL
Thank you for noting the duplication of the question. The issues with WMV and MP4 is that the quality to the size of the videos does not weigh up to other encoding formats such as these used by other codecs such as webm and vp9.

Especially the first topic you note is relevant to my question since it's more about the encoding format than about the file format, but unfortunately this topic had no responses for years. Since standards such as webm are being used more and more on the internet (just think about twitch or youtube) in the recent years, I think it would be great if the video-formatting issue would be reconsidered.

Could someone lock my topic?