forum

Let's talk score overriding

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
bigfeh

Sh0keR wrote:

It happened me the other day, I passed a map with 98 acc , let's say it gave me 10 pp (not really, just as an example) then the next day I played it again got a higher score, but I had only 94 acc, and the play was worth 3 pp, so basically i lost 7 pp for getting better score with lower acc.

and yes the numbers are just made up but you get my point
This, exactly this

Also you can definitely make plays that are worth more pp than your current "top play" but with less score, hence also ripping you of your pp and throwing it to shit. This happens way more (and way too) often
E m i
happens too often with Team Double Time - Can't SS OD10 [Holy Shit! It's OD9!!] PP farming
Barusamikosu

bigfeh wrote:

Are there many maps in which this can happen?
Yes. I was playing a map for fun while warming up yesterday, beat my old score with 1% less accuracy and lost PP. I had to spend about 30 minutes replaying the map to get my accuracy/PP back.

So the moral of my story is to stop playing for fun because you will lose PP. :^)
drum drum

Barusamikosu wrote:

So the moral of my story is to stop playing for fun because you will lose PP. :^)
but playing for fun means not caring about pp generally
E m i
but getting pp is fun. well, i only care about pp once every few days.
piruchan
secret
osu! is secretly a game made by the world government to train perfection of future super gundam pilots. Which is why you need to defeat every enemy (score) and be accurate (accuracy) while doing it. Both matters, and you are only considered as improving (more pilot points) when you are able to pass a miniature assignment program with a better score and and accuracy. After all, the number of take downs (score) and ability to hit enemy robots when they're at their weakest (accuracy) are what matter on real fight outside of the game. Note that the world government consider failing to hit a target appropriately (combo break) is a sign of weakness and should be avoided at all cost, hence the severe impact it has on your score.
Happened to me several times, usually on "omg I might FC this, my hands can't stop shaking" moment. Yes, it is annoying. But I don't think it should be changed, because a game needs to troll its players in one way or another.
Yuudachi-kun

drum drum wrote:

Barusamikosu wrote:

but playing for fun means not caring about pp generally
Fcing is fun.
Purple
The reason the scoring system hasn't changed is because it would change the leader boards which is something you really never want to mess with. The best solution is to add alternative leader boards that use a better scoring system. PP alone would kind of suck because it would result in way too many tied scores, so... yeah

deep fried catfish is best deep fry
E m i
just make it PP>score, as in scores with the same amount of PP are not tied, but sorted based on their score (so SS = spin competition)
Banksia
Why not keep scoreboards, and have a separate scoreboard for pp?
That way both your highest score on a map, and your best performance on said map are tracked separately if different.
Topic Starter
bigfeh

Banksia wrote:

Why not keep scoreboards, and have a separate scoreboard for pp?
That way both your highest score on a map, and your best performance on said map are tracked separately if different.
Thought of this too. Best solution that came to mind yet
winber1
alternative solution: get better at accuracy

SPOILER
1)but i suck at accuracy!
-->suck it up bich

2)but it was such a great run until the last moments!
-->suck it up bich

3)why can't you be nice
-->have a basket of cookies

there is a feature request thread requesting this, and it's been around for like years, so it's not like people haven't been talking/complaining about it. You might as well go find that thread and post there/revive it.

t/220119 the original thread might have started as something different than what you are asking for, but there is quite of lot of other discussion there about other things as well, including what you guys have said.

alright, maybe it wasn't years ago, but time doesn't exist.
Topic Starter
bigfeh

winber1 wrote:

alternative solution: get better at accuracy

SPOILER
1)but i suck at accuracy!
-->suck it up bich

2)but it was such a great run until the last moments!
-->suck it up bich

3)why can't you be nice
-->have a basket of cookies

there is a feature request thread requesting this, and it's been around for like years, so it's not like people haven't been talking/complaining about it. You might as well go find that thread and post there/revive it.

t/220119 the original thread might have started as something different than what you are asking for, but there is quite of lot of other discussion there about other things as well, including what you guys have said.

alright, maybe it wasn't years ago, but time doesn't exist.
Sure, but then you get better at accuracy and instead of going from 150pp to 120pp, you go from 180pp to 150pp. I know it works but the system's still kinda broken. The very need of a "workaround" is proof of that (you don't need to work around something that works)

SPOILER
1) acc doesn't suck too bad, kinda sucked it up

2) fucked up in the last combo multiples times, already sucked it up

3) thank you for the cookies
-JaZe-
If you care about pp, memorize the accuracy of your top score, and restart on the last part if your score would override it with lower acc. (I'm assuming you care because you made a thread about it)

It's really easy to do, and built in solutions are a pain to implement, so that's probably why nobody's actually fixed it yet.
Topic Starter
bigfeh

-JaZe- wrote:

If you care about pp, memorize the accuracy of your top score, and restart on the last part if your score would override it with lower acc. (I'm assuming you care because you made a thread about it)

It's really easy to do, and built in solutions are a pain to implement, so that's probably why nobody's actually fixed it yet.
Nope, I don't give a shit, yes, I've thought of that, nope, higher acc doesn't necessarily mean higher pp and yes, I just posted it because the system is broken. I intend to care about it some day
Bladesu
I remember playing a map months ago on hard with DT and i SS'd it got me like say 66 pp i think
then i played it with DTHD and got 2x 100 it was better than my old score but i lost pp...
it made me really sad...
-JaZe-
I remember reading somewhere that Tom intends to make it so that if you override your score with different mods, the higher pp score will be counted. I think this is a necessary change, because if you override your HDHR SS with a HDFL play, I'm pretty sure you generally lose pp.

I believe that he has no intention of doing that within the same mod. Either way, this has been discussed to death already. The people who care have a workaround, and the people who don't can do whatever they want. Seems good enough to me.
Yuudachi-kun
Today I tried to fc a song with better acc and I did it. Too bad it had a ninja note after the spinner and I lost pp.

I then spammed it to increase my acc again and I got the FC.
Topic Starter
bigfeh

Kheldragar wrote:

Today I tried to fc a song with better acc and I did it. Too bad it had a ninja note after the spinner and I lost pp.

I then spammed it to increase my acc again and I got the FC.

illuminati confirmed
Yuudachi-kun
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/399738?m=0 was the map, not battle for everyone's souls that gained me +200.
-JaZe-
That one's on my list of things to grind for pp when I can play it. I remember seeing it in so many people's top plays.
whyterice
Happened to me 4 or 5 times total, the last one being just a bit ago -

map:
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/486619?m=0

97.47 sliderbreak @ 93% of the song =151pp
95.15 FC next try = 145

6 or 7 more tries after to try and fix acc with misses/sliderbreaks, started getting worse and worse, argh

I think it would be nice if there was an option to completely remove a score you have from your pp/rank- when i first FCd DMC a couple months ago with 84% acc and couldnt do it again, felt pretty bad about it being my top play and tanking my overall acc for so long.

Or maybe someone wants to delete a score to try and get it back for the challenge, clearing their scores when switching playstyle, coming back from a break, climb ladder again, etc.