forum

Less patronizing tutorial

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
Fearlesskoga
I've been trying to get some of my friends to play osu!, and they are always very excited to try it until they play the tutorial. When I first started playing osu! myself, the tutorial really turned me off to the game, because it's so patronizing. It makes me feel really stupid, especially as it's hard to hit the circles and such when you first start playing. Plus, it takes forever to give very simple directions. I think that the tutorial map which comes standard with a download of osu! could really use an update...
Bara-
Not needed
The first time you ever play a rhythm game, it's really hard to get used to it
The tutorial is fine as it is
I do agree there should be multiple tutorials, to also show harder parts
Yauxo

baraatje123 wrote:

The tutorial is fine as it is
I do agree there should be multiple tutorials, to also show harder parts
This. While I agree that the tutorial feels like it's assuming you're the biggest idiot there is, it really teaches you how to play the game, even if you have no damn idea about games.
Having multiple tutorials (maybe also with a new-styleish mappingstyle) would be pretty cool.
- Marco -
peppy said that he want somebody to do a new tutorial
Granger
Topic Starter
Fearlesskoga
@Granger Ah, thank you. I will download that and see if I like it any better...

EDIT: Oh, this is much better. Why can't this be the default still? O.o
Yauxo

Granger wrote:

Hi.
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/19928
As long as this one isnt bundled with the client (assuming it isnt?), probably no new player will ever see this until someone shows it to them.
Mofu kun
if you don't like the tutorial play an easy map or something
Saranghae_old_1
The tutorial in my opinion is fine as it is. I mean, it's not recommended that all of its users play the tutorial.
As someone in the comments said, " Find an easy map in which all players can play it."
In all honesty, just explaining the fundamentals of each mode to them and letting them find out for themselves are tools for essentially finding that enjoyment and that self-improvement.
Bara-
Would be better if it was an all mode tutorial
So also explainig how to play Taiko/CtB/Mania
MilkyTaste
The real problem I have with the tutorial is the production quality.

It's good in that it teaches you everything you need to know but it's just so poorly produced. And being that it's typically a persons first experience in the game, it's not a good indicator of the game you are going to be playing.

This being said, the 3 other people I've had play osu! have all said "Oh I keep forgetting I need to hold the slider", so I might need something there.
Dazdy_old
Personally, I think it'd be good if the osu!stream tutorial was used for osu!, minus the stuff exclusive to osu!stream like hold notes and stream switching. It's easy to understand, explains everything on the screen and is really well-made.