forum

Any Mouse Tips?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ Bodex ]
So yea, I'm practicing some 4 stars maps with NoFail, and the only trouble I have with the maps I'm comfortable are jumps and squares. Any tips for improving on those two? I would usually miss jumps by that small bit of space left and for squares, I tend to move around in a circle motion instead of going in a square motion, which is what that's annoying me, I tried moving in a square motion before but I just end up missing everything since its extremely slow for me, and most of my movements are kinda curvy instead of going straight. ANY HELP? Other than playing more :/
Yuudachi-kun
Step 1. Play easier maps that you can fc and gradually increase the difficulty when you stop gaining ranks so rapidly. (Yes, start at 2.5 - 3 stars)

I don't know about other people, but I only use NF for maps that 1. I'm playing for fun and are too hard, or 2. Mapss that I haven't played before and I want to not fail at the end. (See every 0108 map)

2. Get a tablet.
Mahogany
You shouldn't practice maps that are that far above your level, it'll teach you bad habits. You'll get good enough in time.

Learn snapping though if you're insistent on playing with a mouse, otherwise

Kheldragar wrote:

Get a tablet.
Bakanowy
read more of the forum which has all the answers you could ever need

(why does no one ever do this?)
Topic Starter
[ Bodex ]
Getting a tablet isnt ideal for me though, so I try my best to stay with the mouse since I'm left handed when it comes to holding pens and stuff, getting a tablet would mean that I have to tap with my right hand, which isnt comfortable for me, and I play the difficulties until I get used or comfortable with it, 4 stars from 3 stars was kinda a big leap since its where all the streams, jumps starts appearing, but my curvy play style makes it difficult for me to adapt to the gameplay.

I'll try to learn snapping :3

and I kinda don't like a long wall of text so I avoid reading the guides and stuffs.
Yuudachi-kun

xZombify wrote:

Getting a tablet isnt ideal for me though, so I try my best to stay with the mouse since I'm left handed when it comes to holding pens and stuff, getting a tablet would mean that I have to tap with my right hand, which isnt comfortable for me, and I play the difficulties until I get used or comfortable with it, 4 stars from 3 stars was kinda a big leap since its where all the streams, jumps starts appearing, but my curvy play style makes it difficult for me to adapt to the gameplay.

I'll try to learn snapping :3

and I kinda don't like a long wall of text so I avoid reading the guides and stuffs.
You can also consider using a tablet in your right hand since it's nothing like writing. And define being "comfy" at a difficulty. Does it mean you can pass all the time? Does it mean you can fc it with little thought or effort in one or two tries? Somewhere in between?
Bakanowy
i'm left handed and i felt the same way when i started with mouse. The ideal that your playstyle is your weakness is most likely a delusion. its just because you dont have enough experience. as you go you'll learn what works for you
-JaZe-
In my honest opinion, if you are regularly getting Bs and Cs on 3 star songs, you shouldn't even be looking at 4 star songs. I'm sure somebody has told you this already, but it's so important that it's worth repeating.
dung eater

-JaZe- wrote:

In my honest opinion, if you are regularly getting Bs and Cs on 3 star songs, you shouldn't even be looking at 4 star songs. I'm sure somebody has told you this already, but it's so important that it's worth repeating.
i get bs and cs in 3 star songs, too. it's fine 8-)
Yuudachi-kun
I get Cs in some 4 star songs
leepdesu

Kheldragar wrote:

did you forget to remove flashlight mod?

@OP try mastering 3 star songs (as in fc without much retries) first before moving back to your 4 star practice
get your basics down
Yuudachi-kun

-LeeP- wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

did you forget to remove flashlight mod?
No, I forgot I don't play 130bpm ar8 maps. 8-)
7ambda
Don't imagine it as a square. Think of it as jumping from a note to the next note each time.
ZenithPhantasm
Make sure that your mouse and settings doesn't have any acceleration as jumping relies almost entirely on muscle memory.
Yuudachi-kun
Some people say jumping is muscle memory; some say it's reading.

I notice that when I actively look at the centre of every circle instead of from the corner of my eye, my jumps have better results.
bigfeh
When the jumps are too far away from each other, I stare at the center of the screen and read the jumps. I hit most of them without an issue.

I can say it's not muscle memory because I've done that in a number of first plays. You need to read the jumps for obvious reasons, and while muscle memory helps, that's not really what you should be relying on
ZenithPhantasm
Its both reading AND muscle memory.
Vraxxel
It's mostly muscle memory and how you apply the memory you have. If you've made a jump many times before you can apply the same movement if you see it again with adjustment based on where it is on the screen. Reading only helps if you either don't have a good idea where the center of the note is and you aim at the wrong place albeit maybe only slightly which screws up your positioning for another jump, or if the map is slow enough to adjust for the jump. Muscle memory helps on new maps btw because you've moved your mouse like that many times before not because you can read the notes because if you can read the notes but can't move your cursor to the note their is no point.