forum

Things or places you'd like to do or visit in Japan?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
truonant
I'm in the process of creating my 3-week itinerary for Japan (Travelling West from Tokyo to Kagoshima with stops wherever in between). So the question is: If you went to Japan, what are a few things or places you'd like to do or visit and why? Also, if anyone is interested, I can share my itinerary afterwards.

Where i'm going:
Mt.Fuji
Tokyo
Nikko
Takayama
Kanazawa
Kyoto
Nara
Osaka
Temple Koyasan at Mt.Koya
Bunny Island @ Hiroshima
Nagasaki
Fukuoka
Yakushima @ Kagoshima
Friendan
I LOVE sushi
I love Japan, period!
(mumbling)
the tea ceremony...
J ROCK!
yeah...
GIRUGAMESH
oh yeah!
I LOVE ANIME!
yeah!
AND MANGA!
(squeal) YEAH!
AND GAY MEN
oh yeah!
Aww, DDR
yeah!
SMiLE.dk
yeahh....
ayy
Sakura-Con igi maaaaa!!!!
Don't just talk about it, check out Sakura-Con, April 10-12th. Check sakuracon.org for all the details.
Aurani
I could write a whole essay on what I would find most interesting, if you want.
Topic Starter
truonant

Friendan wrote:

I LOVE sushi
I love Japan, period!
(mumbling)
the tea ceremony...
J ROCK!
yeah...
GIRUGAMESH
oh yeah!
I LOVE ANIME!
yeah!
AND MANGA!
(squeal) YEAH!
AND GAY MEN
oh yeah!
Aww, DDR
yeah!
SMiLE.dk
yeahh....
ayy
Sakura-Con igi maaaaa!!!!
Don't just talk about it, check out Sakura-Con, April 10-12th. Check sakuracon.org for all the details.
Haha i'm going in August. So i won't be there for a sakura-con D;

Aurani wrote:

I could write a whole essay on what I would find most interesting, if you want.
Maybe highlight some things from each major city? =P
Aurani

truonant wrote:

That's not how it works. :V
Well, considering it can't be cheap at all, and it's something you probably won't be doing again in your life, I strongly suggest you pull up a map on Google, outline the route you will follow, then open another Google tab and manually search for everything available in those prefectures. For that kind of money, I'd be analyzing it for a week, at the very least.

Oh, right - if you're going there purely for shits 'n' giggles, Anime and whatnot - I'll personally come to you and assassinate you with a rusty cake knife. :p
Topic Starter
truonant

Aurani wrote:

truonant wrote:

That's not how it works. :V
Well, considering it can't be cheap at all, and it's something you probably won't be doing again in your life, I strongly suggest you pull up a map on Google, outline the route you will follow, then open another Google tab and manually search for everything available in those prefectures. For that kind of money, I'd be analyzing it for a week, at the very least.

Oh, right - if you're going there purely for shits 'n' giggles, Anime and whatnot - I'll personally come to you and assassinate you with a rusty cake knife. :p
Of course. This is going to be an expensive vacation so i'm doing full out research so I can get the cheapest prices on hotels while trying to see as much as I can. I already have the skeleton of my itinerary (the places i'm going and the main attractions within those cities), I just need to flesh it out with some more ideas and things to do as a back-up. For example what if it rains on the day that I plan to go to Miyajima.

Edit: http://puu.sh/g4rj1/76ec5e2aef.png
Here's an example of what I have for Takayama. The things in blue are my core attractions, and the things in red are extra stuff that I could do if I happen to have more time in my schedule, otherwise I would skip them to stay on track. I have routes and maps on my other pages.
Aurani
I certainly hope people here in Off-topic provide you with some ideas, but don't count too much on that, as this part of the Forum is mainly populated by children.

With regard to what you might do if plan A fails, the simplest solution would be to (once again) hang out on Google as much as possible. The reason as to why I'm so obsessed with Google is that you probably came here because you don't have a magical Japanese friend who just happened to have visited every prefecture in his country, and while I do admire you for your high spirit, I also strongly suggest you heavily rely on your own research, rather than this section of the Forum.

I kind of forgot to mention that I would love to hear everything about your plan, as I myself will be visiting Japan in the near future, so any help you receive (and any ideas you might have) would also benefit me in the long run.
IppE
The countryside, especially sapporo.

Also mountains because that one cartoon with the lolis climbing mountains.
Bweh
This is a nice question. Regrettably it deserves to be in Surveys.

Would've liked to go to Sapporo for the snow sculptures

Akihabear is a nice choice

I'd definitely want to check out the Shinkansen and check out temples like the Ryoan-ji and such.
Athrun
Akihabara
Odaiba to see that life size gundam
A random Bandai store to buy Gundam
A hot spring in the winter
Topic Starter
truonant

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

Akihabara
Odaiba to see that life size gundam
A random Bandai store to buy Gundam
A hot spring in the winter
Speaking of hot springs, I might consider going to Beppu to see the 8 Hells of Beppu: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4702.html
and the Ryuumon Waterfalls

And I just discovered Kawachi Fuji Garden today, I thought it was a painting at first: http://twistedsifter.com/2013/02/wister ... shu-japan/
Dazdy_old
I'd try and get as many waifus as I could.
Sorry.
Seriously though, I'd just try and do as many things and visit as many places as I can, minus the food, but that's just me. Asian cuisine makes me sick.
Athrun

Dazdy wrote:

I'd try and get as many waifus as I could.
Sorry.
Seriously though, I'd just try and do as many things and visit as many places as I can, minus the food, but that's just me. Asian cuisine makes me sick.
You've betrayed everyone who was Asian....
-Nya-
Anime stores, anime stores, anime stores . . .
Hm, I think I forgot to mention something . . .
Oh yeah . . . Anime stores! >.<
Necturion
Hachiko memorial and my japanese friends' places <3