Total Posts
show more
E m i
budget?
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

[ Momiji ] wrote:

budget?
Here it is in conversions more or less ofcourse will like something less!

£700
$1000
€950
Gumpy
24 inch 144hz monitor now go.
Vuelo Eluko
nice pp
separated@birth
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

Riince wrote:

nice pp
separated@birth
oh chit LOL! hi Twin!
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

Gumpyyy wrote:

24 inch 144hz monitor now go.
I wont be playing other games at all so I think it would be a waste to buy a 144hz monitor and I want something bigger to watch por..err alot of TV shows/movie with ;)
Gumpy
But 144hz is great for osu!... and if you have that budget I don't see why?
E m i
pretty much any 27 inch monitor with the same aspect ratio your old monitor had (16:9?)
apparently there exists a pretty good monitor named 'ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q'
could be a nice option, I suspect that its aspect ratio is the same as your old monitor.
Saphirshroom

Gumpyyy wrote:

But 144hz is great for osu!
144hz is 144% useless.
I don't know why people buy this shit thinking it will make a difference. The only thing that's different is GPU and electricity usage and that's not exactly a positive change either.
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

[ Momiji ] wrote:

pretty much any 27 inch monitor with the same aspect ratio your old monitor had (16:9?)
apparently there exists a pretty good monitor named 'ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q'
could be a nice option, I suspect that its aspect ratio is the same as your old monitor.
it is the same. I had a look at those monitors which people say is super sexy for playing games especially fps stuff but for that price i can get like a 40" smart tv as a display. Unless it can make a somewhat big difference in osu! Cuz i obsess over it i dont think overall its money well spent.

My only concern is will i got through the learning to play again stage if i get any thing bigger then my current display
E m i

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
I don't know why people buy this shit thinking it will make a difference. The only thing that's different is GPU and electricity usage and that's not exactly a positive change either.
1. motion blur reduction, taiko/mania/ctb. (significant) and standard (unsignificant)
2. 144 effective FPS, feels a lot smoother compared to 60hz.
it's just a parameter
Vuelo Eluko

Kwonaiden wrote:

Riince wrote:

nice pp
separated@birth
oh chit LOL! hi Twin!
and we both started in october and are within 100k total hits
numbers are a scary thing
B1rd

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
144hz doesn't make a difference? you obviously don't have one and don't know what you're talking about.

@OP don't worry, getting a new monitor will not make you need to relearn osu!

But I do think a 144hz monitor like the ASUS one would be a good idea. They are designed for gaming and have low latency, quick response times and the high refresh rates make moving objects look very smooth. Buying a TV for gaming is a bad idea has they often have a lot of input lag and stuff.
And I don't really know why you would want a really large size, it just results in the image being stretched more. You could just move close to the screen. 24" seems really big to me.
Kairi

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
This post gave me cancer.
uzzi

Kairi wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
http://ask.fm/layneCA/answer/124906855444
everyone agrees.
Callum

Kairi wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
iceandele

Kairi wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
E m i
Why are canadians flooding this thread? :?
ac8129464363
i dunno
Gumpy

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
ivan
x
Saphirshroom

[ Momiji ] wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
1. motion blur reduction, taiko/mania/ctb. (significant) and standard (unsignificant)
Exactly.
ac8129464363

[ Momiji ] wrote:

2. 144 effective FPS, feels a lot smoother compared to 60hz.
I can exclude things I want to exclude too
Gumpy

Saphirshroom wrote:

[ Momiji ] wrote:

Exactly.
Effects standard too in a big way makes high AR reading ez as pie.
Cold

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
LMAO
Purple
For media pleasure you should get an Ultra HD monitor, or maybe two or three HD ones

For gaming you should definitely get a 120-144HZ monitor. For osu! it wont matter which monitor you get as long as it works... in fact getting a really big one might become a hindrance, so, yeah. You want to keep a playfield of an adequate size.

144hz is 144% useless.
Saphirshroom

Gumpyyy wrote:

The difference is 9-10ms at largest. I've never played AR11, to me it doesn't sound like a whole lot, considering the circle appears 300ms before you have to hit it - but maybe these are the fractions of a second you need to read it properly.
If you're out for framerate/fluency on other games, fair enough. I rather buy a 4k screen for the same money.
Gumpy

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

The difference is 9-10ms at largest. I've never played AR11, to me it doesn't sound like a whole lot, considering the circle appears 300ms before you have to hit it - but maybe these are the fractions of a second you need to read it properly.
If you're out for framerate/fluency on other games, fair enough. I rather buy a 4k screen for the same money.

seriously tho try it before you try to sound smart
cheezstik
op: With a budget that big, I'd get a G-Sync monitor (or FreeSync if you're running an AMD GPU), and still have a lot of leftover money.
B1rd

Saphirshroom wrote:

144hz is worth it just for the fluidity and realism of motion in osu! and other things, it makes everything look so much better.

I don't really see much point in 4K, you can't really game with it, and what media is actually 4K? The only apparent benefit I can think of is the extra workspace which might be useful if you are a media creator or something.
Saphirshroom

B1rd wrote:

I don't really see much point in 4K, you can't really game with it, and what media is actually 4K? The only apparent benefit I can think of is the extra workspace which might be useful if you are a media creator or something.
I think there are some 4K movies already, and Youtube along other websites support 4K. In a year or two there should be many more.
Buying a 4K monitor is somewhat subjective though. A friend of mine got one and I think you can really see the difference. Personally I don't think it's that worth it - especially with Windows 8 still having some issues with scaling UI elements. If those get fixed I could see 4K becoming a thing.
cheezstik

Saphirshroom wrote:

B1rd wrote:

I think there are some 4K movies already, and Youtube along other websites support 4K. In a year or two there should be many more.
Buying a 4K monitor is somewhat subjective though. A friend of mine got one and I think you can really see the difference. Personally I don't think it's that worth it - especially with Windows 8 still having some issues with scaling UI elements. If those get fixed I could see 4K becoming a thing.
4k tv's @40"+ at the very least might be good, but for something like a 27-30" monitor, 1440p is already more than enough pixel density. You'd be able to notice a much bigger difference between 60hz and 120-144hz than 1440p and 4k.
deletemyaccount

cheezstik wrote:

op: With a budget that big, I'd get a G-Sync monitor (or FreeSync if you're running an AMD GPU), and still have a lot of leftover money.
This. I recently bought a benq 144hz with the new firmware and improved motion blur reduction using blur busters; everything is just much easier on the eyes after switching from 60hz. I personally haven't tried the new adaptive vsync monitors coming out now, but they would definitely work out better if you play other games besides osu!standard because of no screen tearing.

If you don't want to wait, just get an asus/benq 144hz and you should be satisfied.
jasian

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

If people need to offset in-game audio by 5-10ms to feel comfortable playing by ear then seeing objects 10ms earlier as well only makes thing easier.
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden
Thanks all,

I looked into the feedbacks and did alot of research yesterday and looking around.

Initially I was going to get the Samsung 40" http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/flat-tvs/UE40H6670STXXU

When it says it has a refresh rate of 600 hz I was skeptical so I researched more into it and read that all manufacturers TV have their own made up numbers for refresh rate (for samsung its known as Clear motion rate) and the true refresh rate is 120hz.

This link maybe helpful for people who plan to purchase a TV for Media or gaming use.

http://www.rtings.com/info/fake-refresh-rates-samsung-clear-motion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion

I don't mind the size for osu because I can play windows to adjust the play area and I am a designer by profession but the deal breaker was indeed the input lag which b1rd meationed. It was 44ms+ avg and thats kinda disgusting when my current one is around 12ms..and will make this game kinda unplayable

Guess today I will be ordering the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 27 inch
Gumpy
Good job doing some research yourself aswell.

Did you laugh at Saphirshroom?
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

Gumpyyy wrote:

Good job doing some research yourself aswell.

Did you laugh at Saphirshroom?
lol Can't really laugh at him because it was his opinion! :o

Oh man if it wasn't for input lag ;( Some tv's have crazy refresh rates up to 240hz, picture playing some really crazy high speed games
B1rd
I doubt they're really 240hz, I think they just double the refresh rate or something.
Knit_old_1
Get a CRT monitor.

CRT is a much better technology than LCD.

1) Perfect black levels
2) Flawless off-axis viewing
3) Much faster refresh rate than LCD
4) Warmer, more natural image (thanks to scan lines and small granules)
5) Far longer life-span
6) Not subject to manufacture problems such as dead-pixels
7) Good range of compatibility with lower or non-standard resolutions without blurring

Given ultimate space and money the world's best CRT could easily crush the world's best LCD. So tell me G&R, why do you like your inferior screens that companies such as Samsung have brainwashed you to think is better than what already existed? The only cost-savings are on their end.

And the funny thing is you guys keep buying this crappy LCD technology and giving away your free CRTs on Craigslist. A fool and his dollar are soon parted I guess.

And before you start yapping about IPS panels:
Enjoy your slow G2G response to switch pixels already, not to mention that hidden input and scalar lag. Luckily, CRT has no such bullshit.

The only semi-legitimate point I've heard against CRTs regards weight, but you don't bitch about the weight of a prospective couch while furniture shopping, do you? Didn't think so.
cheezstik

B1rd wrote:

I doubt they're really 240hz, I think they just double the refresh rate or something.
^This. TV's don't really use 600hz or 240 whatever, I don't remember the exact details, but it's just 600hz with some fancy method of refreshing the same frames 10 times or something. Same with that new 240hz gaming monitor, it's just 120 with the same method, not true 240.

jayysen wrote:

Get a CRT monitor.

CRT is a much better technology than LCD.

1) Perfect black levels
2) Flawless off-axis viewing
3) Much faster refresh rate than LCD
4) Warmer, more natural image (thanks to scan lines and small granules)
5) Far longer life-span
6) Not subject to manufacture problems such as dead-pixels
7) Good range of compatibility with lower or non-standard resolutions without blurring

Given ultimate space and money the world's best CRT could easily crush the world's best LCD. So tell me G&R, why do you like your inferior screens that companies such as Samsung have brainwashed you to think is better than what already existed? The only cost-savings are on their end.

And the funny thing is you guys keep buying this crappy LCD technology and giving away your free CRTs on Craigslist. A fool and his dollar are soon parted I guess.

And before you start yapping about IPS panels:
Enjoy your slow G2G response to switch pixels already, not to mention that hidden input and scalar lag. Luckily, CRT has no such bullshit.

The only semi-legitimate point I've heard against CRTs regards weight, but you don't bitch about the weight of a prospective couch while furniture shopping, do you? Didn't think so.
Yes ok, lemme pay $1000+ for some shitty hard to find monitor which weighs a ton (gg shipping price) and looks like it came straight from the 90s, and also runs a shitty non standard res anyway. Not to mention how much space they take up, with some desks, you won't have anywhere to put your mouse and keyboard (and tablet).

I think I'd rather take a regular 120hz-144hz thin monitor with the 1ms of unperceivable delay. Sure, if you have the money and space for a crt monitor, it might be a good choice, but they aren't for everyone. Badass sales pitch though, I like it :P
show more