forum

Planning to buy a new monitor, suggestions or tips

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden
Hi I want to buy a new Display peripheral for my PC.

My old monitor is 27" 60hz Samsung which I used for over 6 years planning to buy something more new however I want to know if I go for like a bigger display how much will it effect me playing Osu? or will it feel like I will need to relearn cuz of the display size?

I went to have a look at alot of monitors today and I see all this 500 hz - 1200hz stat thing I have no clue on what they mean.

Someone advice me if they game on a TV monitor who upgraded to a bigger display if it really messed up your aim and if it takes long to adapt.

I only play Osu when I have free time so I don't play anything else apart from just watching movies and stuff on my PC so I think a smart TV can be on the list and they are at a decent price so I prolly won't go for a gaming monitor.
E m i
budget?
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

[ Momiji ] wrote:

budget?
Here it is in conversions more or less ofcourse will like something less!

£700
$1000
€950
Gumpy
24 inch 144hz monitor now go.
Vuelo Eluko
nice pp
separated@birth
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

Riince wrote:

nice pp
separated@birth
oh chit LOL! hi Twin!
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

Gumpyyy wrote:

24 inch 144hz monitor now go.
I wont be playing other games at all so I think it would be a waste to buy a 144hz monitor and I want something bigger to watch por..err alot of TV shows/movie with ;)
Gumpy
But 144hz is great for osu!... and if you have that budget I don't see why?
E m i
pretty much any 27 inch monitor with the same aspect ratio your old monitor had (16:9?)
apparently there exists a pretty good monitor named 'ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q'
could be a nice option, I suspect that its aspect ratio is the same as your old monitor.
Saphirshroom

Gumpyyy wrote:

But 144hz is great for osu!
144hz is 144% useless.
I don't know why people buy this shit thinking it will make a difference. The only thing that's different is GPU and electricity usage and that's not exactly a positive change either.
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

[ Momiji ] wrote:

pretty much any 27 inch monitor with the same aspect ratio your old monitor had (16:9?)
apparently there exists a pretty good monitor named 'ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q'
could be a nice option, I suspect that its aspect ratio is the same as your old monitor.
it is the same. I had a look at those monitors which people say is super sexy for playing games especially fps stuff but for that price i can get like a 40" smart tv as a display. Unless it can make a somewhat big difference in osu! Cuz i obsess over it i dont think overall its money well spent.

My only concern is will i got through the learning to play again stage if i get any thing bigger then my current display
E m i

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
I don't know why people buy this shit thinking it will make a difference. The only thing that's different is GPU and electricity usage and that's not exactly a positive change either.
1. motion blur reduction, taiko/mania/ctb. (significant) and standard (unsignificant)
2. 144 effective FPS, feels a lot smoother compared to 60hz.
it's just a parameter
Vuelo Eluko

Kwonaiden wrote:

Riince wrote:

nice pp
separated@birth
oh chit LOL! hi Twin!
and we both started in october and are within 100k total hits
numbers are a scary thing
B1rd

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
144hz doesn't make a difference? you obviously don't have one and don't know what you're talking about.

@OP don't worry, getting a new monitor will not make you need to relearn osu!

But I do think a 144hz monitor like the ASUS one would be a good idea. They are designed for gaming and have low latency, quick response times and the high refresh rates make moving objects look very smooth. Buying a TV for gaming is a bad idea has they often have a lot of input lag and stuff.
And I don't really know why you would want a really large size, it just results in the image being stretched more. You could just move close to the screen. 24" seems really big to me.
Kairi

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
This post gave me cancer.
uzzi

Kairi wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
http://ask.fm/layneCA/answer/124906855444
everyone agrees.
Callum

Kairi wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
iceandele

Kairi wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
E m i
Why are canadians flooding this thread? :?
ac8129464363
i dunno
Gumpy

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
ivan
x
Saphirshroom

[ Momiji ] wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
1. motion blur reduction, taiko/mania/ctb. (significant) and standard (unsignificant)
Exactly.
ac8129464363

[ Momiji ] wrote:

2. 144 effective FPS, feels a lot smoother compared to 60hz.
I can exclude things I want to exclude too
Gumpy

Saphirshroom wrote:

[ Momiji ] wrote:

Exactly.
Effects standard too in a big way makes high AR reading ez as pie.
Cold

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

144hz is 144% useless.
LMAO
Purple
For media pleasure you should get an Ultra HD monitor, or maybe two or three HD ones

For gaming you should definitely get a 120-144HZ monitor. For osu! it wont matter which monitor you get as long as it works... in fact getting a really big one might become a hindrance, so, yeah. You want to keep a playfield of an adequate size.

144hz is 144% useless.
Saphirshroom

Gumpyyy wrote:

The difference is 9-10ms at largest. I've never played AR11, to me it doesn't sound like a whole lot, considering the circle appears 300ms before you have to hit it - but maybe these are the fractions of a second you need to read it properly.
If you're out for framerate/fluency on other games, fair enough. I rather buy a 4k screen for the same money.
Gumpy

Saphirshroom wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

The difference is 9-10ms at largest. I've never played AR11, to me it doesn't sound like a whole lot, considering the circle appears 300ms before you have to hit it - but maybe these are the fractions of a second you need to read it properly.
If you're out for framerate/fluency on other games, fair enough. I rather buy a 4k screen for the same money.

seriously tho try it before you try to sound smart
cheezstik
op: With a budget that big, I'd get a G-Sync monitor (or FreeSync if you're running an AMD GPU), and still have a lot of leftover money.
show more