forum

[duplicate] Advanced Universal Offset Wizard

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
Yes my computer sucks.

I've noticed that my laptop will vary in performance as I run different programs in the background, and as I leave it on for longer. It's so inconsistent in fact, that I often find myself switching between around +17ms and +25ms, not that I'm even sure that it's accurate. Since my computer can be unreliable like that, I suggest an easier way of finding an offset accurately. Instead of squinting at this line that's moving across your screen at a speed too fast to closely watch, I would like to use our "Tap Here" button that is used for timing songs in the editor. We can tap to the tutorial (or hopefully other songs considering they're timed correctly), and that way we can get an accurate result no matter how badly the computer is lagging.

I've also thought about having "Lag compensation profiles" for say, when my laptop is doing +17ms, or +25ms. And different offsets for laggier maps (storyboard/video etc). That's extending the request, so this alone is just an idea for now; I would like to see some feedback with the "Tap Here" button.
Derekku
anonymous_old

Derekku Chan wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29546 ?
There's a difference between audio card compensation (universal offset) and input lag compensation (that thread).

Does your laptop underclock/overclock depending on activity? That could be causing the UO to need adjustment. Try keeping it at one clock speed.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi

Derekku Chan wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29546 ?
T_T I actually had this idea about a week ago but was hesitant to post.
Also, I think the "Tap Here" solves both of our issues, I just have my additional thing at the end of the post.

strager wrote:

There's a difference between audio card compensation (universal offset) and input lag compensation (that thread).

Does your laptop underclock/overclock depending on activity? That could be causing the UO to need adjustment. Try keeping it at one clock speed.
I'm pretty sure my laptop's processor doesn't randomly change speeds. I bought it from the school who bought them from IBM(school laptop learning program), pretty sure they fucked with them, but that still really isn't the problem. Also, I've never tried overclocking before so I wouldn't know even if it were the problem. Simply put, it's most likely not a hardware issue, more like a hardware lack-of-competence whether it's been tampered by the school or not.
anonymous_old

Harris73 wrote:

strager wrote:

I'm pretty sure my laptop's processor doesn't randomly change speeds. I bought it from the school who bought them from IBM(school laptop learning program), pretty sure they fucked with them, but that still really isn't the problem. Also, I've never tried overclocking before so I wouldn't know even if it were the problem. Simply put, it's most likely not a hardware issue, more like a hardware lack-of-competence whether it's been tampered by the school or not.
Most laptops have CPU scaling support and Windows enables this by default [citation-needed]. My laptop, for example, goes to 700MHz when the CPU isn't being utilized much, and raises to 1.3GHz when it is being utilized more. Look in your power management settings to try to disable this scaling and see if it has any affect on your variable-audio-lag problem. (You can just set it to "maximum power" or whatever, and hopefully that will max the clock speed.)
peppy
I seriously doubt that will have an effect. Anyway, complaining about <10ms is pretty stupid as osu! is only guaranteed accurate to 10ms (which is plenty).