forum

#mod-request; #mod isn't working. [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Ekaru
#mod was created because people ignored the mod requests in #osu and it was disorganized. It worked for a while.

However, many people decided that they were special and that #mod was now their new home because, and I quote, "#osu is too random".

So your mod request often gets bumped off in like 30 seconds, is often ignored until who knows how long of sitting there reposting, etc... Just like in #osu. Possible solution?

Make #mod-request and rename #mod to #modImASpecialSnowflake.

A name makes a world of difference. See, simply having it stated outright that the channel is for requests and only requests will make it so people will either post a request or go, "got it!" and then presumably do some PMing or go to #mod-norequests to talk about the modding.

#modImASpecialSnowflake would exist just so they won't flock to #mod-request. No one would post their requests in #mod because the people there would go "post in #mod-requests" like they currently do in #osu. Likewise, people would chat in #mod instead of #mod-request because there's the -request there and #mod is their designated chat zone.

Sure, there are mod queues, but sometimes you just need a quick playtest (not at the stage for real modding yet) and reposting crap every few minutes until someone decides to check it out is just plain annoying. However, trying to change #mod would not work well. #mod-request is the easiest solution I see to this. People would adjust soon enough I think.

So I say it should have a test run for a week or two. If it works, horray! If it doesn't it can just be deleted and we can go back to the current set-up, so I don't think there's much harm in getting it a testrun.
Sakura
Love you for this +1 Support
DeathxShinigami
Oh my...My resist urge to +1

Nah..its a test run after all, well thought out Ekaru <3

+1 support. I'd shoot stars at this if I could...
LuigiHann
I wouldn't be opposed to renaming the channel. I assume you're joking about the snowflake thing.
DeathxShinigami
or whatever name that isn't as attractive is what I think Ekaru meant.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
The snowflake thing was a joke, yes.

EDIT: Though assuming #mod was kept for the test run it could be renamed to, say, #mod-chat.
Beuchi
Yeeeah... I support this, #mod has being quite annoying and it's slowly becoming another #osu, so yeah -w- +1
Shohei Ohtani
So this is in effect now and #mod and #mod-norequests died.
Derekku
What's stopping #mod-request from becoming what #mod once was? i.e., A mass of requests with either no one to fill them or no one that cares. Sure, #mod gets spammy at times, but without conversation, it would be a stream of requests and just that. #mod has become a family of modders that helps others. When it seems like someone is getting ignored, it's usually because they're being annoying by spamming their request half a dozen times or just come in out of the blue with "mod my map plz (link)" and say nothing else.

tl;dr- I'm not sure if a new channel would be a sensible option.

EDIT: whattttttttttttt :(
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Derekku Chan wrote:

What's stopping #mod-request from becoming what #mod once was? i.e., A mass of requests with either no one to fill them or no one that cares. Sure, #mod gets spammy at times, but without conversation, it would be a stream of requests and just that. #mod has become a family of modders that helps others. When it seems like someone is getting ignored, it's usually because they're being annoying by spamming their request half a dozen times or just come in out of the blue with "mod my map plz (link)" and say nothing else.

Read my request again.

I specifically requested that a new channel was added but that #mod would still be there so that #mod-request would not be infected and modders could still talk without clogging up the mod request channel. *shrugs*
Derekku

Ekaru wrote:

Derekku Chan wrote:

Read my request again.

I specifically requested that a new channel was added but that #mod would still be there so that #mod-request would not be infected and modders could still talk without clogging up the mod request channel. *shrugs*
Exactly what I said. The process would start over; #mod-request would be spam of requests and no in that cares or just a dead channel. Or eventually, it would become how #mod is now with conversation and few requests.

Meh, #mod never really worked in the first place. Modding queues are the best way to get mods nowadays, but #mod shouldn't be deleted just on the basis that it's not for requests. :/
Shohei Ohtani
Without #mod, many people wouldn't have become successful mappers.
Sakura
Ok so now #mod-norequests --> #modHelp and #mod --> #modReqs

Let's see how this works out
NoHitter
Sadly, it isn't.

People talk on both #modReq and #modHelp
Derekku
Give it more than 5 minutes. xp
Topic Starter
Ekaru
It's working now. Someone just picked up a request.

It went smooth. They didn't have to wade through a bunch of shit. There were some requests just sitting there. He just went in and picked it up and told the person he was modding/DLing it. Oh and someone else just did the same thing.

This is how #mod used to work, guys. And with #modHelp you guys can talk and people can actually get shit modded. There'll be the occasional convo, yes, but it won't be nearly as bad as before.

Thank you peppy for the quick response. :D
anonymous_old

Ekaru wrote:

It's working now. Someone just picked up a request.

It went smooth. They didn't have to wade through a bunch of shit. There were some requests just sitting there. He just went in and picked it up and told the person he was modding/DLing it. Oh and someone else just did the same thing.

This is how #mod used to work, guys. And with #modHelp you guys can talk and people can actually get shit modded. There'll be the occasional convo, yes, but it won't be nearly as bad as before.

Thank you peppy for the quick response. :D
Welcome to early morning GMT (like ... every other early morning GMT?).
Topic Starter
Ekaru

strager wrote:

Welcome to early morning GMT (like ... every other early morning GMT?).
It was better than other early morning GMTs. People posted some crap but it was in #modHelp. #modReqs did have some chatter but it was modding-related.

Though yeah, we'll have to wait until 3-5 PM our time to see how it truly goes. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly enough.
Fuuko

I don't even know from where I should start.

It's true I was almost quitting #mod for the horrible walls of spamming, with maps getting ignored and stuff.

But, #mod was more than that. #mod was a family, to us all. I used to mod a lot there, when I had time. I still do, randomly. What I'd suggest is more active BATs there to silence spammers.

Like some guys that goes "OHO" "OHOHO" "OHOHOHOHO" or something. It's really annoying. I won't mention names. =/

#mod was once a good place, and I am sure it could be like that once again.

I still vote on keeping the #mod-request, and renaming #mod to #modders/mappers or something. It's better than hanging at #osu, IMO, and would solve the problem.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
I like how your suggestion is exactly what this request was and exactly what happened.
Sakura
However we need more control on #modReqs
Shohei Ohtani

Sakura301 wrote:

However we need more control on #modReqs
Wait what.
DeathxShinigami
Obviously CDFA isn't getting the whole point of why the channels were renamed and traffic was moved to hopefully minimize derailing and off-topicness. Read the topic thread a couple times and read the thread. Makes perfect sense to me I co-wrote parts of this though...