forum

End a map even when there is still some SB remaining.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
rust45
A simple request, add a toggle in the Storyboarding tab in Song Setup to make a map end even though there is some storyboard left in the map.

Reasons for this would be:
1. I've seen maps that had nice looking SBs that were subtle in the backgound, and would've looked nice at the end of map, but stopped so the map would stop.

2. Some maps will have one diff that goes on just a tad shorter than the other maps in the set, if you have an SB and you want this one map to not have to skip, you have to move all of the SB objects into the .osu of the other diffs. This function would allow of the SB to go into the osb regardless of the maps being uneven in length.
LuigiHann
It'd be nice if you could set a flag in the SB code that says "this is where the SB ends" even if events keep going, yeah
0_o
Yes please.
Kitsunemimi
Sounds nice and easy.
anonymous_old
Can you give an example of (1)?

I support (2), though right now you can diff-specific the other parts as needed.
0_o

strager wrote:

When you have a SB'd background that you want to still have displayed at the end of the map (Yours To Hold [Normal] for instance)
anonymous_old

0_o wrote:

strager wrote:

When you have a SB'd background that you want to still have displayed at the end of the map (Yours To Hold [Normal] for instance)
I don't see any problem with that map? It goes to the results screen a second or two after the spinner.
0_o

strager wrote:

I don't see any problem with that map? It goes to the results screen a second or two after the spinner.
It cuts to the black and white background when that diff it ends; I wanted it to stay in colour.
anonymous_old

0_o wrote:

strager wrote:

It cuts to the black and white background when that diff it ends; I wanted it to stay in colour.
Because you're fading out the colour BG in the SB...?
awp

rust45 wrote:

2. Some maps will have one diff that goes on just a tad shorter than the other maps in the set,
"a tad" is usually about 2/3 of the longer maps, but that's another argument. While I'm not against a fix for something like this, if it were up to me, I'd say just map all difficulties the same length. Shortening easier difficulties feels like laziness to me. The whole "new players have no stamina and can't play a stage for more than 90 seconds" argument just doesn't fly with me. As for the first point, I'd like the ability to fade from the storyboard right to the ranking screen, as currently I always have to fade to black first. It's not terribly annoying, but takes away from the experience slightly.
LuigiHann

strager wrote:

Because you're fading out the colour BG in the SB...?
Yes, and if he didn't fade out the color BG, then the map wouldn't end until the end of the SB event causing the color BG to display, at which point either the main BG or a black BG would abruptly show before fading out

Or think of a map where I just have a looping movement or rotating object in the background, I'd want the motion to keep happening while the map fades away to the results screen, but it won't because the map won't fade away until I've ended all the SB events.
Yingwu
Doesn't the skip button work for this anyways?

And then i don't mean the skip in the right corner because that one doesn't show up all the time but your own button (my skip button is G for example).
Topic Starter
rust45

noxie wrote:

Doesn't the skip button work for this anyways?

And then i don't mean the skip in the right corner because that one doesn't show up all the time but your own button (my skip button is G for example).
Problems with this, the skip button or space makes a cymbal crash when you use it, and most people I assume wouldn't use to escape key (which also ends maps when all the notes are gone) but rather go for skip button. And it forces the player to do something instead of waiting like they normally do, or wait for the rest of the SB events because they didn't even notice it.
Zetta
Um. I dunno if I'm correct in assuming here but I guess you want to end a map where the song keeps playing to the end but there are no notes correct? such as Nightcore - Jump Jump.

You can always press escape and that'll take you straight to the results screen.
Stefan
Bumping that.
Isn't this Feature actually added? So if I read it correctly the Maker wishs to have the option to toggle its SB when it should ends. To be honest I find that idea pretty bad. There's actually nobody who wants that his SB ends earlier that it actually should. Also..

rust45 wrote:

Problems with this, the skip button or space makes a cymbal crash when you use it, and most people I assume wouldn't use to escape key (which also ends maps when all the notes are gone) but rather go for skip button.
For that you can change your menuhit.wav file in the currently used Skin folder. Of course people might reject to do that but maybe it could be added something like "break-skip.wav", specially for this case. But well I don't want to suggest something different here. :P
TheVileOne
I don't think the behavior has changed. I could be wrong though. If the map has some storyboard left, the game will play until the storyboard ends rather than when the last note ends. It will need to be tested though since new maps that have storyboard extending past the last hit object aren't very common.
theowest

osu! gives you a skip button if the storyboard continues and you can also hit escape if there is no map left to play.

So why should we have a toggle to let it end as soon as the map ends when you are given an option to continue or stop. I always press escape at the end of maps anyway because the loading time to the results screen is somewhat noticeable.

Deny?
Stefan
It's also about that it has this Sound when you click (or press, however) on Skip. But.. this would be kinda nazi to complain it. :v
I think that this Thread is simply made on a time where the Storyboard was different as the today one I guess.
TheVileOne
Storyboard hasn't changed since nearly the time when osu! was created. It's the most untended to part of the whole game.

As to whether this idea is unnecessary, I think it is. However maybe certain sprite animations might cut into the end period of time, but you don't want the players to see these sprite animation reach full completion. It would allow the mapper to better control what the user sees at the end of the map when dealing with things that loop continuously.

Would it be that hard to add into the game really?
theowest

TheVileOne wrote:

However maybe certain sprite animations might cut into the end period of time, but you don't want the players to see these sprite animation reach full completion. It would allow the mapper to better control what the user sees at the end of the map when dealing with things that loop continuously.
As far fetched as that sounds, it does make this request more valid so I'm more neutral towards it now.
The age and lack of support dictates to that.