forum

Mouse players, do you anchor your wrist?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xayne
I'm not sure if this is a new habit or if I'm just now noticing it with the harder/faster maps, but I have a tendency to anchor my wrist and play with nothing but wrist movement, if I try to slide along my wrist it feels insanely awkward and I typically miss notes. The issue is I can't jump from one side to the other with any kind of speed or accuracy this way and it's greatly hindering my ability to pass harder maps. I've been contemplating on whether or not I need to up the sensitivity or just learn how to play with my wrist off of the pad. How do mouse players typically handle this? I play with a claw grip so taking my wrist off feels that much more awkward.
AdamMZ
Yes and always.
Noobsicle
ya but for fullscreen jumps gotta let go yo
N3bby
I did this too but recently switched to a tablet.
It also made jumps easier for me. I've only been playing for 3 months now, so I don't know how much my words are worth tough :p
RaneFire
It really depends on the kind of jumps.

If they are linear back & forth large jumps or follow a distinct flowing pattern with consistent (fast) cursor speed, I tend to involve my arm.

If they are not following a distinct pattern and the speed or angle at which I move my cursor continuously varies, that's where I plant my wrist and use wrist movement.

Although using my arm is faster and lets me move the cursor faster, the more complex multi-directional movements actually get a bit harder to execute because of the extra inertia (stopping). It's also important to snap with a mouse as a checkpoint on jumps to check if you are drifting and by how much, otherwise while you may only just hit the first note on a flow-through, but miss the next one (hypothetical).

Sometimes I will move my arm a bit and plant it again to do certain patterns, so it all depends. My style is a bit of a hybrid in this regard, but I know when and where to do what.
Zare
^ tl;dr ^

be flexible
I Give Up
I play lifted wrist all the time. Only anchor for spinners.
winber1
my wrist slides around on the mouse pad

since i'm best mouse player you guys are all wrong and should feel bad
ZenithPhantasm
Not sure what you mean by anchored but here's what my arm looks like when I play
ERA Puzzle
I used to play with mouse, had dpi of 2200 set on mouse and would anchor my wrist. Sensitivity probably had something to do with the fact that I could anchor, but I found that if I didn't I felt a lot less comfortable and my accuracy dropped as well.

I imagine if you're using a lower DPI setting you may not be able to move your mouse across the whole screen and anchoring wouldn't be very comfortable and might throw you off. But I certainly don't recommend upping your sensitivity either.
B1rd
my wrist is pressed against the mouse pad and slides a little when I move.
buny

winber1 wrote:

can vouch, arms like spaghetti
AmaiHachimitsu
I don't get the topic really.

I, for example, can't control the whole playfield with just wrist. + the mouse drift does its job.

SO, the solution is simple. When YOU HAVE TO, you should slide your wrist along, when you don't have to, you don't. Of course it can feel awkward, but nobody who knows about the game will tell you that the best way is the comfortable way.
Topic Starter
Xayne

DJPuzzle wrote:

I used to play with mouse, had dpi of 2200 set on mouse and would anchor my wrist. Sensitivity probably had something to do with the fact that I could anchor, but I found that if I didn't I felt a lot less comfortable and my accuracy dropped as well.

I imagine if you're using a lower DPI setting you may not be able to move your mouse across the whole screen and anchoring wouldn't be very comfortable and might throw you off. But I certainly don't recommend upping your sensitivity either.
The DPI of my mouse is 1000. It's not adjustable so I've been using raw input and osu sensitivity settings. I've slowly come down from 1.08 to 1.00. I like the added control of lower sensitivity, but I'm thinking maybe I need to go back up to 1.02 because quick jumps are just insane now. I think it's just at that point where it's a bit too awkward to go ham with movement, but anchoring and using nothing but wrist isn't enough. I may just have to adjust sensitivity.
Topic Starter
Xayne

buny wrote:

winber1 wrote:

can vouch, arms like spaghetti
Mom's spaghetti?
ZenithPhantasm
Will having macaroni fingers help me stream 300bpm?
E m i

this is the only good grip
thumb, ring finger and pinky all touch the ground
Kouya-

KukiMonster wrote:

I play lifted wrist all the time. Only anchor for spinners.
SatireSacrifice

Xayne wrote:

I'm not sure if this is a new habit or if I'm just now noticing it with the harder/faster maps, but I have a tendency to anchor my wrist and play with nothing but wrist movement, if I try to slide along my wrist it feels insanely awkward and I typically miss notes. The issue is I can't jump from one side to the other with any kind of speed or accuracy this way and it's greatly hindering my ability to pass harder maps. I've been contemplating on whether or not I need to up the sensitivity or just learn how to play with my wrist off of the pad. How do mouse players typically handle this? I play with a claw grip so taking my wrist off feels that much more awkward.
Hm, I'm not a super good player or something like that, but I use the Basic Optical Mouse* from Microsoft. (I know it's kinda odd to use that instead of a gaming mouse but for me it works fine.) I use my fingers to change the postition of the cursor instead of moving my wrist. The back of my mouse usually doesn't even touch my palm so my fingers have the only, and the full control. My wrist stays int he same place and doesn't move at all, I hope this answers your question in some way?

*The mouse:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/_base_v1/products/basic-optical-mouse/mk_bomblkv2_productdetails.jpg
manjumochi

SatireSacrifice wrote:

Xayne wrote:

Hm, I'm not a super good player or something like that, but I use the Basic Optical Mouse* from Microsoft. (I know it's kinda odd to use that instead of a gaming mouse but for me it works fine.) I use my fingers to change the postition of the cursor instead of moving my wrist. The back of my mouse usually doesn't even touch my palm so my fingers have the only, and the full control. My wrist stays int he same place and doesn't move at all, I hope this answers your question in some way?

*The mouse:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/_base_v1/products/basic-optical-mouse/mk_bomblkv2_productdetails.jpg
I don't remember which MS's mouse was recommended before (but I remember that was a basic mouse), so there are some chances to be one of them.
Rokusho
How the hell can you lift your wrist and aim properly D:
show more