forum

Is this an Achievement or a Failure

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Noffy
I've been in the 50k of the rankings for a year now. Yes this includes the change in pp calculations. I went from 52k to 52k back then.
I have proof. I commented that on disqus when it happened.

Only reason August 2013 rank is in there is to show that yes there was once a time when I wasn't in the 50ks....
This is an edited compilation of my rank+pp being shown in screenshots during the past year.

On one hand, I've been rank 50k for a year, which kind of hurts my non-existent pride, which was destroyed the moment I started playing this game and began to forever be chasing the hopes of one day being a "good" player. Circles have such power.
On the other hand, I've been rank 50k for a year without dropping into the 60ks or rising into the 40ks (though I've been pretty close to both). Isn't my dependability to improve at near perfect speed that no matter how much better I get (yes I did get better I promise although very slowly and in very small amount) my rank remains around the same amazing?
It's amazing.
It's terrible.
It's the 50k paradokusu.
I don't care about it in particular (wait no that's a lie it hurts a little yeah) but thought it was ... fascinating.
Osu! is hard.
So I was wondering about those out there with similar experiences and skill-
let's be in the 50k forever and ever together :lol:
AdamMZ
this-is-normal-k-bye

Go try find a hard song and play with mods.
DahplA
Just play more. You're still getting PP quite well, just slowly. I think if you invested more time, and acquired a huge variety of maps to play, you could certainly improve your rank.
Shrik
Definitely should do what DahplA said.
It took me like 2 months to get rank 40k just cause of the variety I had. Just play moar
wasonz
try to FC some insane map please ... :D
buny
anybody can play easy maps

someone who has no dedication towards actually improving doesn't deserve a higher rank
DahplA

buny wrote:

anybody can play easy maps

someone who has no dedication towards actually improving doesn't deserve a higher rank
Bit rough, but totally correct. You should really put effort and try to become a better osu player. Try to set some goals. Eg. 2k PP, 10k Rank, etc.
cheaptricks
play some harder maps maybe? you have mostly just Hard difficulty in your top ranks.
Topic Starter
Noffy
I'm not saying "why am I not improving" because I know I'm bad at pushing myself and that is a problem- and I'm not really sure how I could play more when I spend most of my free time on osu already...
I'm just impressed that the rank given has managed to remain nearly the same after doubling my playcount this year and is nearing 20k and earning 300 pp (hopefully deserved and not decimal accumulation) or so and was wondering how many others are also remaining in around the same place.

The golden speed of slow improvement! Improving personal skill without improving relative skill! 300pp/yr!

DahplA wrote:

Try to set some goals. Eg. 2k PP, 10k Rank, etc.
My goal is escaping 50k. Maybe I need to aim higher to achieve this. A four as the first number...! The far-away goal may be reached someday.

cheaptricks wrote:

play some harder maps maybe? you have mostly just Hard difficulty in your top ranks.
Maybe. Maybe I should. Maybe I do. I've gone from being able to pass 3.7 star maps (and now I can nearly SS a 3.6 star map yay) at most to being able to pass 4.4 star maps at most in the past three months or so (strangely enough the transition happened entirely in the span of one week where I had no internet maybe I'll never log in again and there I'd go) and I'm working on improving accuracy at that so they can actually become top scores.
CXu
I've been top 1000 since score rankings. I am a stable player 8-)

No but if you actually care: start trying to work your way over to FCing insanes, which also means don't play Easy with allmods; it's not gonna help you.
DahplA
Start by playing a few more hards. Don't be scared to push yourself and improve. Gradually over weeks, build up your speed and aim and then escape your comfort zone. Try harder maps, just for a bit and see how you go.
GoldenWolf

dorothy3242 wrote:

The golden speed of slow improvement! Improving personal skill without improving relative skill! 300pp/yr!
u w0t m8
why would you color golden in purple
my feels...
YamiHikari
.. So OP wanna leave 50k, right? You can start to do higher difficulties from time to time, and to make your gameplay less stressful and more enjoyable pick your favourite songs.. or something. Should be able to achieve your goal with more effort. This thing takes time, go at your own pace. Good luck with getting out of the 50k range.
winber1

GoldenWolf wrote:

dorothy3242 wrote:

u w0t m8
my feels...
pink is kawaii

golden is kawaii

he is master of smooth
GhostFrog
I want to be like you when I grow up.

But seriously, that's pretty cool. It'll be sad to see you get into the 4xxxx's
byfar
try changing up your gear. if you have small area, switch to larger area. if you have rubber dome, buy mech. if you have cherry blue buy reds etcetc
gregest
but mech keyboard will not make you better,CookieNia plays with rubber dome keyboard
fieryrage
Tablets don't make you better unless you know how to use a tablet and are better using tablets than a mouse.
Mechanical keyboards don't make you better.

Practice makes you better.
I have a Dell keyboard and a Razer mouse (used to have a Dell mouse) with a 6-year-old mouse pad and I do somewhat decent at the game as it is.
Just adjust your sensitivity properly, get out of your comfort zone (but not to the point where you're playing AR 10s at rank 40k please oh god), and you should be good to go.

As for staying in the same rank for a while, I've been in the rank 29-31k range for a while now. It's hard to rank up since there's constantly new players and people that beat your PP. Think of it this way: Don't strive for rank, strive for PP. That's what I'm doing right now, and I'm finding this game a lot more enjoyable as a result.
Akari-
like the others said, start playing insanes

you gain skill (and eventually boosted return on ranks) by playing things higher than your level

you gain ranks (and a smaller amount of skill) by farming pp on maps at your level

you gain nothing (no skill, no ranks) by farming for ranks on individual maps if they are significantly lower than your level

those easies and normals? they're like the soda in your fridge, feels amazing when you drink it but you feel like shit at some point later. the solution? eat yo veggies and play harder stuff

i was in pretty much the same situation as you and this map (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/30012) is what i spammed to get out of that rut. it doesn't have to be the exact same map, but pick something that challenges you aim/speed/pattern wise
kevpwns
Think of it this way. You can farm and be overrated, or not give a shit about rank and play for fun (which I think is less stressful and more fun).

There are people who take the game seriously, but what is getting top 40k, 30k, etc. Gonna prove? That you're better? Honestly I wouldn't even think about rank till you're 4 digits.

If you really want to rank up there are plenty of easier insanes that are around the 4-4.5 star range which are definitely not too hard to fc.
- Marco -
Play ▶ more
cheezstik
Think of it this way, rank is inversely proportionate to dick size. Anyone telling you otherwise has a small dick.
ZenithPhantasm

cheezstik wrote:

Think of it this way, rank is inversely proportionate to dick size. Anyone telling you otherwise has a small dick.
I think the proper term is e-penis.
buny

cheezstik wrote:

well, pp does mean penis points so yeah
YamiHikari

cheezstik wrote:

That logic.
winber1

xYamiHikari wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

That logic.
he did graduate from harvard with a phd in logic, you know
byfar
no nono no don't listen to this cheezbox
cheezstik

xYamiHikari wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

That logic.
No need to be mad, dw, I'll share you the secret of how me and most others got to 4 digits:

Better value than the akwilla network guaranteed!
winber1

This guy's an expert alright. he's got that technique damn cold.
Vuelo Eluko
595 plays - Hatsune Miku - Yellow [Hard]
167 plays - Jin ft. MARiA from GARNiDELiA - daze [No Dap's Easy]
103 plays - Hatsune Miku - Nightmare Party Night [Hard]
102 plays - Jin - Outer Science [Hard]
100 plays - Hatsune Miku - Cruel Clocks [Hard]
99 plays - Kagamine Rin & Len - Jutenija [Breeze]
97 plays - Kagamine Len, Hatsune Miku & ClapTrap - Borderlands! [Insane]
97 plays - Jin - Yobanashi Deceive [Hard]
94 plays - Yucha-P - Thieves Night Trick [Hard]
93 plays - Jin feat. MARiA from GARNiDELiA - daze (short ver.) [Easy]
89 plays - Jin - Outer Science [Normal]
89 plays - Giga-P - Electric Angel [Normal]
87 plays - 96Neko - Paintings? Oh, yeah. [LRJ's Hard]
80 plays - Kagamine Ren - Kumo no Iseki [Hard]
80 plays - Jin ft. MARiA from GARNiDELiA - daze (TV Size) [Yuki's Easy]
you really need to push yourself more, my historical is full of maps that i retried the fuck out of because i couldn't initially pass them, i could never retry easy maps so many times and not get bored... I practically melted my brain playing Scream Hard as You Can as many times as I did, Can't see how you could stand Yellow for nearly 600.

you wont get better unless you get out of your comfort zone
Topic Starter
Noffy
I have no idea how I played Yellow so many times either. It was a 4 month journey. One session of Yellow lasted 8 hours back in February. My goal was SS Yellow because... well, SS is Yellow. That's the entirety of my logic. I'm trying to improve my play before trying to SS insane. The trick to retrying easies too much is that's what I do when my concentration is beginning to fail again because slow and boring maps are great for helping with that. If my concentration is truly failing it tends to only get worse if I play hards and insanes. I learned that the hard way... The other half of my most played maps are from playing them until I could pass them though, just some of them are really really old and haven't been touched in two years. There's also the fact that a lot of those playcounts are a result of my playing the same maps but on different modes? Like Taiko. I'm terrible at Taiko.

cheezstik wrote:

Wh-what do I do if I don't have a dick-

winber1 wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

u w0t m8
my feels...
pink is kawaii

golden is kawaii

he is master of smooth
Golden and pink/purple are supposed to go perfect together according to art class. Complimentary colours!

GhostFrog wrote:

I want to be like you when I grow up.

But seriously, that's pretty cool. It'll be sad to see you get into the 4xxxx's
I think I might have to have a memorial service for that 5 on the fateful day when I leave the 5xxxx's for good. The 5 has been with me all this time through these ups and downs, after all. We've bonded. It'll be a sad yet joyous parting.
AdamMZ
Don't SS unless you wanna be crazy. Just FC + S a song. :)
gh0st-

AdamMZ wrote:

Don't SS unless you wanna be crazy. Just FC + S a song. :)

The legend

https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3759860
cheezstik

dorothy3242 wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

Wh-what do I do if I don't have a dick-
Then you have no rank!

Anyway, srs time, doesn't matter if your rank doesn't go up. If you'd rather have this "achievement" then keep at it, this game is for fun, and if you have fun by going for SS's (even spending 500 tries, fuck that) or staying at 5xxxx rank, then do it, this game can be played any way you like. I personally don't have fun by going for SS, all of my SS were first try (which is why I only have 1 insane SS to this day) and in multiplayer lobbies when pwning noobs, and multiplayer is the only time I would play something easy enough to SS first try.