forum

Going back to our roots?!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
emilia
September 16th, 2007. The day where osu! is born from peppy's womb. Between the years 2008-2009, it was the reign of the old maps.

I propose every 16th September, the editor of osu! be made into the older version, and maps that are pumped out are made old. But they have to comply with certain rules of mapping, such as no overlapping notes, generally correct timing. But the twist is that there can be lesser than ENH or NHI, with maps with only one difficulty, and the song choice must be of an older generation, in other words no TV Sizes, no recent pop music, just old stuff. But, the BATs and QATs still take control of the ranking system, so they still rank these maps. This may last for a few days or even weeks, then after its over everything reverts back to normal. During this time, no maps that aren't old can't rank.

Will be pretty cool seeing some old-style stuff ranked again, back to the old days. And will be pretty funny to watch too.
Howl

Estellia- wrote:

September 16th, 2007. The day where osu! is born from peppy's womb.
uh yeah... what strange terms you use in... such a post...
Between the years 2008-2009, it was the reign of the old maps.

I propose every 16th September, the editor of osu! be made into the older version, and maps that are pumped out are made old. But they have to comply with certain rules of mapping, such as no overlapping notes, generally correct timing. But the twist is that there can be lesser than ENH or NHI, with maps with only one difficulty, and the song choice must be of an older generation, in other words no TV Sizes, no recent pop music, just old stuff. But, the BATs and QATs still take control of the ranking system, so they still rank these maps. This may last for a few days or even weeks, then after its over everything reverts back to normal. During this time, no maps that aren't old can't rank.

Will be pretty cool seeing some old-style stuff ranked again, back to the old days. And will be pretty funny to watch too.
so first
so second
might be a great idea, if not the fact of ranking maps mapped in an old style. urgh. please no. an easter egg might be fine, but not the fact that only old maps can be ranked.
formi
are we talking about good maps of "old" songs?
if people want to create and rank those.. well.. they can!
why would you want to force mappers to map and rank songs they wouldn't in the first place??
-> NOPE!
Lust
I, for one, would love to see more old maps being ranked today.

There are a few oldies out there still pumping out maps, and maybe - just maybe - we'll see one ranked soon.
xxdeathx
No no no no no, who are you to tell mappers what they can or can't rank? You can try to encourage people to participate in old style mapping for a period of time (not that I would be interested) but I doubt the BAT are gonna refuse to rank regular things to accommodate this idea of yours.
Mashley

Lust wrote:

I, for one, would love to see more old maps being ranked today.

There are a few oldies out there still pumping out maps, and maybe - just maybe - we'll see one ranked soon.
Lol if anyone wants to rank any of my 71 graveyarded maps feel free. Lot of ancient shit in there.
Karuta-_old_1
Even if you ranked old maps, people would just play the new ones so I doubt that idea of yours is going anywhere
and some mp3 file of older beatmaps doesn't even support surround sound

It's a nice idea but think there's a better approach?
XinCrin
Let me try to make a beatmap with old mapping style
ErunamoJAZZ
like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/8993 ?
just map many circles in OD9 AR7 :)

btw, why this in development subforum??, why not in 53 (Beatmap Projects)??
Stefan

Estellia- wrote:

But they have to comply with certain rules of mapping, such as no overlapping notes, generally correct timing.
These things are necessary and things like bad overlapping and wrong timing are bad. That's not really related to old-school mapping

Estellia- wrote:

But the twist is that there can be lesser than ENH or NHI, with maps with only one difficulty, and the song choice must be of an older generation, in other words no TV Sizes, no recent pop music, just old stuff.
The thing is: what genre classifies to be "old stuff"? That what has been ranked in 2007/08/even 09? They already were TV Sizes, pop music, etc. but not in the amount we've got it today. That also is because 4-7 years ago they were like 10% of the number of mappers we got today.

Estellia- wrote:

But, the BATs and QATs still take control of the ranking system, so they still rank these maps. This may last for a few days or even weeks, then after its over everything reverts back to normal. During this time, no maps that aren't old can't rank.
In all honest, I find this idea bad. We do not have something like "event periods" where we - the BAT group - bubble/qualify specific maps, depending on the time, genre, mode, whatever. And that is good because there is no real reason to set higher priorities to a number of maps because of the previously named requirements.

About the general idea: I always support old-school mapping styles as long they fullfil the Ranking criterias and things like CS7 should definitely be used more, especially for real harder maps.

ErunamoJAZZ wrote:

btw, why this in development subforum??, why not in 53 (Beatmap Projects)??
Moved to the appropriate forum. :P
AndreasHD
Pay Shinxyn to rank maps these days, haha :D
He had the best maps in the old days imo.
Topic Starter
emilia
I find it funny how no one senses the sarcasm yet though.

Its all k. If it becomes a serious thing then 8-)