forum

Multilingual Speakers: Interested in FAQ Translation?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
awp
Despite the abundance of information in the FAQ there are still people popping into irc asking why their beatmaps don't work, or how to submit a beatmap to the site, or whatever. I think part of the problem might be due to the fact that not everyone is fluent in English (but we forgive you for that), so~

Would anyone here be interested in helping to translate the osu! FAQ into any languages they are capable? We are a rather diverse community, and I think this would help a number of new players out.
Echo
Topic Starter
awp
Indeed.
Sinistro
I can translate it to Greek, but I expect you would prefer languages spoken by at least a few hundred million people, right? :|
shinn_old
I can roughly translate it to Traditional Chinese. But after Writing, it needs serious editing.
Echo

shinn wrote:

I can roughly translate it to Traditional Chinese. But after Writing, it needs serious editing.
Same here :P
eirrol
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
pokedigi

eirrol wrote:

Peppy should do Japanese. I'll do Chinese.
I don't think Offset should be translate in "弱起小节开始处". Can we translate together?
shinn_old
IDK....

I'm not very fluent in Chinese...
Echo

eirrol wrote:

Peppy should do Japanese.
Interestingly enough, I don't think there are that many Japanese players around.

I can help check the Chinese translation, but like shinn I'm not that fluent.
peppy
@echo: We should look at databasing the site's content so we can easily add translations for all this static-ish content.
Loginer
Loginer sez: SWEDISH TIME >:3
Exile_NX
I can do Russian :)
luke27
I relly like the idea, I can translate it to Spanish, just contact me :)
Vic
I`ll translate it to Polish because we want moar Polish players so we need Polish FAQ. (lol)
Topic Starter
awp
I'm thinking we should bring this up at the next community meeting and organize how we're going to do it.
Echo
I think just stick it in a (new) hidden forum.

Loginer
I've already started by downloading the FAQ, translating it in Dreamweaver.
Echo
If you're translating it text is all we need.
luke27

Echo49 wrote:

If you're translating it text is all we need.
Does it mean I only must edit it and save it as plain text (.txt) or what? I started too and I have done 70% aprox...
Echo
Well, HTML is fine, but text just saves you a lot of work :P
luke27

Echo49 wrote:

Well, HTML is fine, but text just saves you a lot of work :P
But I use a WYSIWYG editor so I just change the text without entering in code...
Hymake
I can translate the FAQs to Spanish. If I can help, please, tell me ;)
luke27

Hymake wrote:

I can translate the FAQs to Spanish. If I can help, please, tell me ;)
Actually I am translating it to Spanish, although if you want to help, you are welcome! :) Contact me!
Fraeon
Well, I could volunteer to translate stuff into Finnish, but I sort of already assume that anyone who ends up here already has a firm enough grasp of English not to need Finnish documentation/anything.

Such is our country. Blah.
Loginer

Fraeon wrote:

Well, I could volunteer to translate stuff into Finnish, but I sort of already assume that anyone who ends up here already has a firm enough grasp of English not to need Finnish documentation/anything.

Such is our country. Blah.
Meh, most people do. Just do it for the sake of completion. :>
Topic Starter
awp
Bragging rights, etc. I don't see why any language should be left out if we have the bilingual speakers for it.
Olinad
Has anybody already done an italian translation?
I can do it... Do I only need to translate it in a .txt and then email it to peppy? If so I'm gonna start it right now :)
Echo

Olinad wrote:

Has anybody already done an italian translation?
I can do it... Do I only need to translate it in a .txt and then email it to peppy? If so I'm gonna start it right now :)
That's the idea :P
Olinad
Ok I'm gonna do it as early as possible :)
pokedigi
Chinese?
Topic Starter
awp
It'd be a good one to have; there are quite a few regulars that speak chinese. Shinn might've already gotten started on it; you might wanna double check/work with him.
shinn_old
I'm kinda full right now, so I can't really help :cry:

I promise to help during summer though!
Alieax
I can do jap a bit :)
[deleted user]
I would volunteer to translate the FAQ into Mandarin and Indonesian. Malay may be a bit of a problem but I don't see why I can't try. Well, I have to, at least, complete my examinations first. I'm quite competent with the other two. My grasp of Japanese isn't very good yet, so I won't want to try. D:

How's the translations coming about?
MaybeLater_x
I think translating the FAQ is a wonderful idea. :] But what about the game? Would the text in the actual application need to be translated as well, for players ease? I guess it's pretty easy to find out what buttons do what by trial-and-error, though. :P

I'm actually surprised no one's offered to do German or French. Thought they would be more popular. I'm learning them but I don't know them well enough to do a translation.
Echo
Adding multi-language support to the game is one of the long-term goals for Osu!, but it got out-voted by OpenGL support and Storyboard editor. That doesn't mean it won't be in the game, it just won't be there until much later.
Sakimichi
I could do a Tagalog [Filipino] Bisaya [Native filipino] Translation :D
James
Tagalog is hard. Thats why I don't bother translating. And IMO Taglish sucks.
Nharox
I can translate the FAQ into german.
Olinad
I sent italian translation to peppy yesterday, I hope he received it... I won't be here in the next 2 months :lol:
Koopser
Well, I can do Portuguese (Brazilian one, it's slighlty different). Just need to know how and when.
Inozuma
I can do the french one.
Olinad
OMG, the FAQs all changed with the new website! I'll wait for peppy to add other translations before translating the differences again :)
Inozuma
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
awp

Inozuma wrote:

And by the way, can we edit images to translate them into another language (french in my case)
I think the good Doctor planned ahead for this, as most images have a number-based legend to make translating them easy. For the ones that have English words written on them, it's pretty easy to edit those images.
Inozuma
Ok, thanks for the reply.
I'm going to edit them in that way.
AgentSieg
Have the german and spanish ones already been done? If not I could do them.

I could also do a catalan version.
peppy
ElfoVampiro
i can translate to portuguese!
show more