Album Title doesn't belong in "Source" field, and other tips

posted
Total Posts
18
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Not every song needs something in the "Source" field. The source is only for songs that are "from" something, such as a video game theme song, or something from the soundtrack of an anime. Regular rock and pop songs can just leave the source field blank.

Under "Tags" is where you can put the album title if you choose, along with specific subgenre information.

Here is the FAQ entry for specific details:
You should enter this information before you create a second difficulty, to ensure that the text will be consistent across all of the maps in the set.

Artist: The band, singer, or group that performed or created the song. osu! will pull the artist from the mp3 file, but please double check it to make sure it is spelled and punctuated correctly. Anime/Game titles or companies do not belong here. You can usually find the composer for anime and game songs on Wikipedia. Foreign names should be presented in the same name order as used on Wikipedia (generally, Given Name followed by Family Name, the western order, for consistency).

Title: The name of the song. Again, it will be pulled automatically from the mp3 file, but double check for spelling or capitalization errors, especially if you got the mp3 online.

Beatmap Creator: That's you. osu! should handle this automatically, so you shouldn't edit this. If you are including a guest difficulty made by someone else, their name belongs in the Difficulty field below, not here.

Difficulty: While the other fields should be identical between all maps in a set, the Difficulty field is filled differently for each map, to indicate which ones are harder than others. You can select one of the default names, or create your own name. While it's good to be creative, try to make it very clear which one is harder than others -- Ambiguous difficulty names can annoy players. This would also be the field where you indicate a guest mapper, if this is their difficulty (e.g. "Larto's Hard"

Source: This field should generally only be included for Anime or Video Game songs, and occasionally for Novelty (Movies, TV, or Internet) songs. If the song is from an anime or video game, or is most famous for its use as a TV or movie theme, the title of that source goes here. Rock and Pop songs should generally leave the field blank: This is not to be used for things like album titles, and video games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero, which use already-popular songs, should not be named here.

Tags: This is a good place to put sub-genre information, for specific genres not represented on the Beatmap Listing (such as Punk or Metal). If the map is associated with a rhythm game like Rock Band or Guitar Hero, that game can be named here. If the song is from a game or anime, the company that created it can be named here. If your map has "collab" elements mapped by other mappers, their names can go here. Tags are separated by spaces.

Again, to avoid issues, please make sure that everything (aside from Difficulty name) is filled out identically for each difficulty.
RemmyX25
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Metroid
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Metroid wrote:

What about albums? I tend to put the album names in the source field.
Album name does not belong in Source.
Source is displayed more prominently in-game than Artist is, so unless the song has a source more famous or recognizable than the artist, it should be left blank.

Album title can go in Tags.
Vanmonky

LuigiHann wrote:

Metroid wrote:

What about albums? I tend to put the album names in the source field.
Album name does not belong in Source.
Source is displayed more prominently in-game than Artist is, so unless the song has a source more famous or recognizable than the artist, it should be left blank.

Album title can go in Tags.
When someone say "Source", the first thing I think about is the album of the song. Source means where the song from, it's the album. I have 1 ranked map which the Source was filled with the album of the song. I think it's okay to fill the Source with the album.

Why we shouldn't fill Source with the album title? Is there any reason?
Gabi
because if you hold your mouse over the source box it will say "If this song is from a series/game, name it here"
Vanmonky
peppy could change it to "If this song is from a series/game/album, name it here."
RemmyX25

VanMoNky wrote:

peppy could change it to "If this song is from a series/game/album, name it here."
No.
0_o
Source is displayed more prominently in-game than Artist is, so unless the song has a source more famous or recognizable than the artist, it should be left blank.
This pretty much sums it up right here. Album title is an relatively irrelevant piece of information compared to the artist.
Breeze
If it's a Russian song or Indian song (And other language that isn't specified in beatmap listting) should add Russian/Indian etc. to tags :/
I think ablum name in source is ok then
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Breeze wrote:

If it's a Russian song or Indian song (And other language that isn't specified in beatmap listting) should add Russian/Indian etc. to tags :/
Yes, exactly.

I think ablum name in source is ok then
Still no.
ouranhshc
wut if the Album name has the artist's name in it, for example, "The Epic of Zektbach". Zektbach is the artist. Would I have to remove zektbach from the tags.
0_o

ouranhshc wrote:

wut if the Album name has the artist's name in it, for example, "The Epic of Zektbach". Zektbach is the artist. Would I have to remove zektbach from the tags.
I don't think so. If you search for the album in-game it will only appear if the the entire album title is in the tags anyway.
Detective Tuesday
I kinda sorta get where your coming from, but I have to argue the contrary.

Album title as source just makes sense. It's quite literally the source of the material as the artist intended. Even if the song is made famous through it's inclusion in a movie or an anime, it existed in some format before that. Thus, to site the song as a piece of the grander work from which it originated would be the most proper representation.


LuigiHann wrote:

Source is displayed more prominently in-game than Artist is.
I feel like it's in light of this fact that your argument does make some sense, given the fact that most people who play or at least know about osu! are gamers (or otakus, perhaps) to some extent, and a nice big "BLEACH" would probably catch the eyes of several.

So while I disagree with your argument, it isn't that it doesn't make sense, but rather I disagree with the very circumstances they make sense under. That is to say: the source really shouldn't be emphasized more than the artist. Essentially, this is a music game, and where does music come from but an artist? Unless it's specifically made for a video game, music doesn't come from a video game... And the artist themselves certainly aren't offspring of the game either. Even IF a song is made specifically for a video game, in which case the Source would indeed be "Super Videogame 3: Original Sountrack" (or whatever), that's not grounds to emphasize the source over the artist. It's a music game, not a game game. When I think of music, I don't think about how it's featured in popular culture before I think of the artists that make it. To me, those features in animes, games, or movies are what really belong as Tags.

Just my two cents. Maybe I'll bring that argument up in Feature Requests, unless someone else wants to.
RandomJibberish
The reason Source is shown more prominently in game is because Source is for when there is a more recongisable "source" than the actual artist. For example I don't know the composer (or artist) of many game themes but I know the game it comes from, which is what I'd put in source.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Maybe someday we'll add an Album field. I can see how that would be useful.

But let me put it this way: We wanted a field for game/anime/series titles, and "Source" was the best name for that field. Just because an album literally qualifies for the definition of the word "source," it doesn't fit with the purpose of that field. The writer of the song, or the url where you downloaded the song, or the store where you bought the song would also literally fit the definition of the word "source," but that is clearly not what the field is there for, and neither is the album title.

In relation to your second argument, I feel like when the source field is used properly, it makes sense to emphasize the source over the artist.
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! - Training ~ Credits
just makes more sense, visually, than
Y. Kaneoka, A. Nakatuka, K. Yamamoto - Training ~ Credits
If people actually utilized Source consistently, then we could actually implement Source consistently, and it would make osu's song lists better-looking and easier to browse, but since currently it's a hodgepodge of nonsense, we're stuck with the kind of tacky implementation that we have right now, at least until osz2 rolls around and then I can manually overwrite every bad source myself.
Larto
Unstickying. This may have been important some time ago when people were all like "OMG PUT ALBUM IN SAUCE KDS PLZ", but now no one does that anymore anyways and this topic is only quoting an FAQ entry.
Gonzvlo

Larto wrote:

Unstickying. This may have been important some time ago when people were all like "OMG PUT ALBUM IN SAUCE KDS PLZ", but now no one does that anymore anyways and this topic is only quoting an FAQ entry.
Please visit: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Song_Setup for further information

Locking and changing to Standard.
Please sign in to reply.

New reply