forum

[How To] Split osu! on several drives or directories

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kagu-chan
Hello,

today I´ve reinstalled my computer and using Win7 now.
Often (on my Laptop, earlier computer configurations etc.) I had the problem, that I dont want to reinstall osu since I dont want to redownload all my songs - or backup it, because it takes a lot of time.

While looking for other stuff related to my configuration I found out, that symlinks are added to Windows with Windows 7.
So I tested it with osu! and it works fine (No issues, no performance problems or else).

Pros
  1. Small osu! installation on your programms directory
  2. Easy backup your songs and / or replays since it could be a own partition on your harddrive
  3. Move your songs everytime you want, osu! don´t take care about it
  4. Additions to osu! take no care about it and should work fine
  5. ...
Cons
  1. Win7 or higher
  2. Not testet if some additional programms throw errors, but it should be fine
Example
SPOILER

I moved the directories
  1. "Exports" (With a lot own mapped maps it could be big)
  2. "Replays" (Because i export nearly all and dont want to grow up my system partition for this)
  3. "Screenshots" (Could be big with the time - maybe move it at your pictures folder on system?)
  4. "Skins" (Could be big too)
  5. "Downloads" (Dont know if it could very big while downloading a lot, but dont use system partition if it not required)
  6. "Songs" (Will be big!)

How to?

1. Move Your directorys from osu! to your destination location (osu! should be closed)
  2. Press Windows-Key
  3. Type cmd
  4. Rightclick it and start as administrator
  5. Go to your osu directory with the console (See at "How to navigate with console")
  6. Type the following command for each moved directory: (Example for Songs directory)
    mklink Songs D:\Songs /D
    So it is "mklink" (the command), the osu! directory you need to link (here "Songs") and the new destination (absolute path). The parameter /D is for directories, if this parameter missed it dont work!
  7. Finnished - Play osu! as before
How to navigate with console
  1. dir list all files and directories in current directory
  2. drive: change your harddrive, so "c:" switch to C, "d:" switch to D: on your drives. Dont forget the ":" here
  3. cd .. Go to directory above
  4. cd dirname go to named directory (if it contains spaces, you have to pack it into ", e.g. "Programm Files")
  5. exit close console

I hope I could help someone with similar problems. If you couses any issues, let it me know.
Sorry for my bad english and sorry if it the wrong section in forums, let me know if it and feel free to move :)

Greetings, Kagu-chan
Bauxe
Alternatively, osu! can just be moved into another drive.
Zallius
I don't see the point. You can install osu! anywhere you like and splitting the location of game files just complicates things.
RBRat3

Zallius wrote:

I don't see the point. You can install osu! anywhere you like and splitting the location of game files just complicates things.
Heh the real point is on dev builds where you need content for testing and dont wanna move files but beyond that there really isn't :D
MillhioreF
You can already specify a custom songs folder location in the .cfg if you really want. None of the other folders are so big that copying them should be a huge burden on disk space (unless you have a billion skins...)
Oinari-sama

MillhioreF wrote:

You can already specify a custom songs folder location in the .cfg if you really want. None of the other folders are so big that copying them should be a huge burden on disk space (unless you have a billion skins...)
While we're on this topic, is there a way (without symlink) to specify full directory address in BeatmapDirectory =? I tried specifying the address using "" but it crashes the client (new release system testing ver.) immediately.
Topic Starter
Kagu-chan
Oinari-sama, since it is a ini-file you dont need to use " - its working line by line as i know.
I dont know that it is possible to specify it in osu itself.

Alternatively, osu! can just be moved into another drive.
- It could be, but e.g. at my laptop i need to reinstall osu! complete - so i had to backup data what i dont want.
- same point

None of the other folders are so big that copying them should be a huge burden on disk space (unless you have a billion skins...)
Someone has this as i know. I have more than 15000 replays, it uses a lot of space with the time.
peppy
Use the config specification.
Oinari-sama
omg I've been living in the stone age =.=

It just works :D