forum

~Kyonko's Fabulous Wig Tutorial~

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Welcome to my lovely wig thread! I am very passionate and proud of my wigs! And I wish to share my expertise with the osu! community so that you can learn how to make wigs too! This tutorial can especially be useful for those who cosplay, especially those who have difficulty finding and buying wigs.

I don't really see this fitting into any other thread, so I felt like it should get its own, as it's different from the general artwork thread. Quaraezha actually suggested to me that I make this thread, and I saw it as being a good idea. So what this thread is going to be is with how I go through the process of doing the wigs that I make for myself, as well as the ones I have in my shop and do as commissions.

The demonstration I will be doing for this is for a Princess Cadance wig that was recently commissioned. The wigs for MLP characters are able to be interpreted into a human's hair in many different ways. I like to try and stay as close to how their hair looks as possible.

I'll be doing the fringe/bangs of the wig being half and half purple and pink. And the main part of the hair will go around from front to back yellow, pink, and purple respectively. With the colours, it is easier to dye the wig rather than wefting in the hairs, so I'll be doing a demonstration on how I do all of the dying for my wigs. With dying wigs, especially for selling, it allows me to keep them affordable while still being good quality.

To start off, I just get a base white wig. Since Princess Cadance's hair is pretty long, I did a 100cm wig.

Then I separate it off into equal sections with hair ties. This allows me to know which sections will be which colours without having to try and separate it all later. The section for the purple will be larger, as it's the back section and doesn't need to be separated.

For the supplies I use, with the dyes, I use acrylic dyes. I like these ones since they have droppers so it makes things a bit cleaner. I also like this brand since the dyes don't get super powdery. Some acrylic dyes get powdery even after being mixed with the rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol will stretch out the dyes for longer, as well as it helps to set the dyes into the wig. 70% seems to work the best. I use plastic bowls used for hairdye (not in the picture) for when I dye the longer parts of the hair. I use small spray bottles for getting at the base of the wig since that can't be dipped into the bowls. And then rubber gloves so my hands don't get covered and stained with the dyes.

I put all of the excess hair not being dyed up in plastic bags so none of the dye gets on the other hairs. Also, I put towels under the wig so I don't get my floor wet or get dyes on it.

Taking one of the bowls, I fill it up to the top line with rubbing alcohol, then I put in about 2 1/2 droppers of the purple. I don't want it to turn out too dark, and if I need to go over it again I can prepare more dye. Rubbing alcohol is cheap so I don't need to get conservative with it.

Then I dip the wig from the bottom all the way up to where the wig cap starts in the purple dye, letting any excess drip off. When wet, the dyes will appear somewhat darker in the wig, so you can't judge the colours til they are dry.

Any excess from the bowl, I then pour into a dropper to prepare to dye the roots of the wig on the wig cap.

I gently spray up at the roots, making sure to get under the hair so it's dyed all the way down to the wig cap. This will also appear a bit darker when wet, so if necessary it can be sprayed again when it's dry.

It is important to make sure that the main section is dry before starting another one. If not, then dyes are more likely to run together. The hairs can be bunched up or folded when dry to keep them out of the way. They should be let to sit until they are mostly or completely dry.

While waiting for the main section to dye, I will go and dye the purple part of the fringe/bangs. I am doing them in pink and purple, so I split them off half and half.

I dip them, just like with the rest of the hair, from the bottom to the wig cap, and then spray the roots like before.

Although when wet the wig will look like it's in stringy clumps, it will separate into normal hair again when it is dry.

For the pink, I use a light red dye. I only use about 1 dropper of the red so that the hairs will stay pink and not turn red.

Just like the purple, I'll then dip the "pink" the same way as before. You can tell that it turned out as a brighter pink rather than ending up red. It will dry lighter, so later I'll go over it again.

I then spray the roots carefully again like before, and being extremely careful not to get it in the purple.(I dyed the fringe/bangs after I did the main hair this time)

The pink dried a lot lighter, so as I said, I'll go over it again at the end.

Now for the yellow dye, since it's already such a light colour, I do 3-4 droppers of it for the bowl, and even after that it will still need a second dye.

Repeating the same dipping process as before. The yellow is still pretty light even wet.

After allowing it all to dry, I then flip the wig over. I flip it over so that I can get any parts from underneath that were unreachable from the top. This usually includes any hair that is directly around the wig cap, especially alone the sides. So I flip it over and will spray the said parts. Also during this, I went over all of the parts again one more time to make them darker. This also allowed me to find any places that I might have missed.

After the wig is completely dry, I will comb my fingers through it all to find any spots that I might have missed. I usually miss one or two small spaces, so I go in with the spray bottle and put some colour in the spaces. It will look darker than the rest, but it will blend in when it's all dry.

All other wigs I have done for my shop can be found here
Any wigs currently in my shop can be found here. This is where I sell all of my wigs as well as take commissions.

I hope this tutorial has been very useful to you!
Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!
ALTKID
First /o/

This is really awesome, I'm gonna try one to later *_*
Anyway I loved your rainbow dash wigs on your blog.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

AllRiseSilver wrote:

First /o/

This is really awesome, I'm gonna try one to later *_*
Anyway I loved your rainbow dash wigs on your blog.
Thank you

There are a lot more styles I have tried for the Rainbow Dash wig, but this is the one that works the best and is the most wanted.
Kaona
This is a great tutorial! Thanks so much for posting it Kyonko <3

I might look at trying this for my wigs when it comes to future conventions I'm going to cosplay at.
[ Pingu ]
Holy crap, that's amazing. *^*
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

Kaona wrote:

This is a great tutorial! Thanks so much for posting it Kyonko <3

I might look at trying this for my wigs when it comes to future conventions I'm going to cosplay at.
I hope your wigs go well go well for you <3 If you need any additional help you can always hmu on skype
ALTKID
If you don't mind would you make a tutorial for rainbow dash?
It's really awesome *_*
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

AllRiseSilver wrote:

If you don't mind would you make a tutorial for rainbow dash?
It's really awesome *_*
If someone commissions one from me or I decide to make one to sell then I will
Apex_old
This thread here is some Valhalla material.
Piine
Interesting....  ̄﹏ ̄
Xiaolin
Dat face you have, and dat pony room you have
Anyways, really nice tutorial, I'll be looking forward for other ponies, keep it up ~ ^-^
Kei
Excellent work and tutorial. That Rainbow wig in your DA looks amazing ♥
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Thank you for all the other compliments that I didn't notice!

I am currently (but slowly) working on a Nui Harime wig, so I am going to make a post on that when I finish it. I haven't taken pics as I go with it, so if I do post it, it's gonna be just pictures of the final version of it or pictures with a really long description on how I made it.
DeanAmbroseFan
That is talent good job :P