forum

Older maps harder?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
otonashi-senpai
Well I noticed that I have a lot of problems with older maps. It seems that my acc. there is lower than newer maps in the same star range.
Can someone please tell me why this is so?
MostDakka
They are often worse quality, mistimed, badly spaced etc. Older maps relied mostly on grind than your personal skill.

Thruth to be said if we only take good maps then new maps are slightly harder nowdays. Its not worth to play older maps.
Vuelo Eluko
i honestly think we need a version of pokebis' thread with newer maps but the issue is people don't seem to try anymore when it comes to mapping easies/normals since its pretty much just done out of obligation.

I guess there's also some benefits to starting on old maps in terms of reading some patterns and rhythm, but really couldn't we have some ztrot maps recommended to new players too? those are just as good for learning these things without being old as fuck.

and of course maps are harder now the players are better hah
GoldenWolf

Storm2344 wrote:

Older maps relied mostly on grind than your personal skill.
So wrong.
Nameless
Older maps aren't as high in quality. Netoge Haijin Sprechchor is a good example of this. The maps started to get better in 2011.
winber1

MintLatios wrote:

Older maps aren't as high in quality. Netoge Haijin Sprechchor is a good example of this. The maps started to get better in 2011.
what

i don't even
YukinoDesuDesu
DJPop is god
Vuelo Eluko

winber1 wrote:

MintLatios wrote:

what

i don't even
i think the example was just bad, sprechchor is amazing
GoldenWolf

winber1 wrote:

what

i don't even
shhh it's alright, just a nightmare
Zare
The people need to get away from their old-map-phobia and actually start to look at them.

They're sometimes mistimed, that's true, but they are not "lower in quality" when it comes to their mapping. (at least when you look at like DJPop maps or something similar with structure and general ideas behind the mapping)
GoldenWolf
What older maps may be lacking is eye-candy stuff, so they might appear "worse" than recent maps
Mao
As the ones before me already said: Old maps aren't bad, they are just mapped in a completely different way.
The Editor and the People have changed a lot in time and so did their mapping. Many functions we take for granted now weren't even existent back then.
Also if we take a look at older DJPop maps for instance we can see that he is one of the inventors of many stuff we have in our nowadays maps.
Mapping just evolved in time. Most old maps make actually more sense than some stuff ranked nowadays
With this "Evolution" of mapping also the players changed. You are most likely used to the Maps you are playing the most which makes it harder to play such different mapping from older maps since also the difficulties settings changed drastically (as far as I know AR9 was hard to read these days since most players were used to the more common AR8 maps, take a look at our nowadays top players, this stuff is getting crazy lol). Also mistiming can be a problem as well but this shouldn't be the case too often anymore since 2010 or so :V
deletemyaccount
Do you even James
winber1
even James can't even right now

we're fucked
RaneFire
There's some rather interesting reasons why older maps are harder, and they have nothing to do with being bad maps. Technically speaking, they aren't even harder, but they are. That makes loads of sense, yes.

Like others' have said, they're different.

Here's one of them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_fart
Older maps are more repetitive than newer ones. Your ability to concentrate on a repetitive patterns is tested more in older maps, than it is in new ones. Newer maps are much more diverse and continuously require interpretation. That keeps you more focused, than just focusing in itself.
ryza
I think one very important point that everyone is missing here is that older maps are generally linear and also lacking in what most people will call flow. Flow is a concept that most newer maps are based around, curvy sliders and patterns that make your cursor move to the next note naturally. You don't see as much of this in older maps, in fact you very often have to move in horizontal lines, or back and forth at sharp angles, etc. This alone makes most older maps much harder than newer maps at the same star rating.

I personally think flow makes a map better, so yes, often older maps are of lower quality to me due to the lack of flow, however that doesn't mean they're bad, necessarily. For the most part, it's just a different style which is not as common today. And it's definitely something that takes practice, most people won't understand how to play these older, more linear/floweless maps because of how different mapping is today... ;w;
winber1

Silynn wrote:

You don't see as much of this in older maps, in fact you very often have to move in horizontal lines, or back and forth at sharp angles, etc. This alone makes most older maps much harder than newer maps at the same star rating.
more like people aren't used to it. not like it's truly much harder at all.
Fahe
Not harder, just different. No one is used to ar 5 cs 6 od 8+ stuff anymore, that alone makes it if not harder at the very least very different from what we are used to seeing these days. Personnally I find djpop/awp maps amazing considering the timing and the pattern wise, yet I can't pass most of their maps with 85%+ accuracy, does that make the maps bad ? No, it's just that I simply suck way too hard at this game :D
FrzR
DJPop osu!std maps. *hides
winber1

Fr33z3R wrote:

DJPop osu!std maps. *hides
you are a shame to humanity if you cannot stand up fearlessly to the true glory of the osu!-race

best maps na
CXu
ZenoDiac
Ya'll better bow down to DJPop
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/6037
FC will release you