forum

Why switching between 4K and 7K may be troublesome

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DrAwesomeXD
Hey, so I've been thinking about the gameplay in osu!mania recently and there is something troubling me.

These screenshots display my key/finger placement layout for playing 4K and 7K:

4K:

7K:

When I play osu!mania, I not only pay attention to WHERE the notes are but also to WHAT COLOR they have.

For instance, in 4K, white notes fall on keys D and K and purple notes fall on keys F and J. Therefore, I use my index fingers for the purple keys and my middle fingers for the white keys. In 7K, the order is "inverted" meaning that instead, I hit the PURPLE notes with my middle fingers and the WHITE with my index fingers as well as the additional ring fingers.

So when I try to play a 7K map after a 4K map or vice versa, I sometimes get confused with the keys because of exactly this reason.

The only way that I think fixes my confusion problem at the moment is to use my middle and ring fingers instead of index and middle in 4K so I'd still be hitting the same colors with the same fingers in 7K. Still, I'm posting this thread because I would like to ask you for other possible solutions that could e.g. invert the key order back in one of the modes. And while I'm at it, is it possible to make the middle key in 5K yellow like in 7K? Same story same problem.
Bobbias
It's entirely possible to coordinate the colors of a skin so that each key is the same color in every mode. Read here for info on how to modify how things look yourself: t/203554

I personally wouldn't suggest intentionally using your other fingers just so the colors coordinate (I feel like that would just make things harder than they should be)

I understand what you mean about it being confusing, but it's not as bad as you make it out to be. You've been here less than a month, so you've had no time to get used to switching between modes. Mania is not one of those games you can expect to jump into and pick up all at once. It usually takes quite some time for all the skills to be learned. You're still in the early stages of learning how to identify a note and respond to it, which makes the difference in color matter a lot more. Give it some time and you'll find it matters a lot less in a few months.
Kinac
Just like Bobbias said, you should play more. After some time you'll get used to it and have no problems in switching between 4K and 7K.
Topic Starter
DrAwesomeXD
Yea I agree about practice. However, I really feel that finger-color coordination is something I'm ALWAYS gonna be working with and it seems to me that the way it works by default is just a useless obstacle. Thank you Bobbias for the link. Can you or anybody help me out here?

This is what I added at the bottom of my 4K.ini :

SPOILER
NoteImage0: mania-note2
NoteImage0H: mania-note2H
NoteImage0L: mania-note2L
NoteImage1: mania-note1
NoteImage1H: mania-note1H
NoteImage1L: mania-note1L
NoteImage2: mania-note1
NoteImage2H: mania-note1H
NoteImage2L: mania-note1L
NoteImage3: mania-note2
NoteImage3H: mania-note2H
NoteImage3L: mania-note2L
KeyImage0: mania-key2
KeyImage0D: mania-key2D
KeyImage3: mania-key2
KeyImage3D: mania-key2D
KeyImage1: mania-key1
KeyImage1D: mania-key1D
KeyImage2: mania-key1
KeyImage2D: mania-key1D

The keys are now edited in a way that the white keys are the inner ones and the purple keys the outer ones. However, the NOTES, unlike the KEYS, are going crazy now. First, all notes became purple. Then i played a couple of games and suddenly all notes became white. What the hell is happening and what am I doing wrong?
CephiCC
4k/7k switching is all based on just your fingers getting used to what they feel as notes come in. You should try to disassociate the color with the location. It helps you to understand that raw play and experience are both necessary for success in 7k.
Tear
This is actually a very valid point, I already got used to inconsistent 4K colors but I understand why someone might want to swap them. We depend on colors more than we think, try making the middle column in 7K pink (the same as 2/6 columns) as an experiment.
Tornspirit

Tear wrote:

This is actually a very valid point, I already got used to inconsistent 4K colors but I understand why someone might want to swap them. We depend on colors more than we think, try making the middle column in 7K pink (the same as 2/6 columns) as an experiment.
Lol I played with default for a while then switched to 3 white 4 pink... was a while ago though, using a completely different skin now.
Topic Starter
DrAwesomeXD
As I said, the color difference feels REALLY critical to me. Sometimes, It's literally impossible for me to play a 7K map after playing 4K using my middle/index fingers. However, if I played using my ring/index fingers, I do quite well on even harder difficulties. If there's anybody who can help me out with the settings, I would be extremely thankful. Until then, I'm just gonna rely on the ring/index trick lol
Full Tablet

DrAwesomeXD wrote:

Yea I agree about practice. However, I really feel that finger-color coordination is something I'm ALWAYS gonna be working with and it seems to me that the way it works by default is just a useless obstacle. Thank you Bobbias for the link. Can you or anybody help me out here?

This is what I added at the bottom of my 4K.ini :

SPOILER
NoteImage1: mania-note1
NoteImage1H: mania-note1H
NoteImage1L: mania-note1L
NoteImage3: mania-note2
NoteImage3H: mania-note2H
NoteImage3L: mania-note2L
KeyImage0: mania-key2
KeyImage0D: mania-key2D
KeyImage3: mania-key2
KeyImage1: mania-key1
KeyImage1D: mania-key1D

The keys are now edited in a way that the white keys are the inner ones and the purple keys the outer ones. However, the NOTES, unlike the KEYS, are going crazy now. First, all notes became purple. Then i played a couple of games and suddenly all notes became white. What the hell is happening and what am I doing wrong?
I am not sure why it is not working for you. Test the following.

1)Try adding those lines after a line that says "//images"
//images
//Keys
2) Add those images to your custom skin instead of using the default ones.
3) Change the order of the lines (KeyImage3: mania-key2 and KeyImage3D: mania-key2D after KeyImage2D: mania-key1D)

Also, if you want to match colors to specific fingers, you can also set ring fingers to a specific color:
For 7K, example:
7K image files
NoteImage0: mania-note3
NoteImage0H: mania-note3H
NoteImage0L: mania-note3L
NoteImage1: mania-note2
NoteImage1H: mania-note2H
NoteImage1L: mania-note2L
NoteImage3: mania-noteS
NoteImage3H: mania-noteSH
NoteImage3L: mania-noteSL
NoteImage4: mania-note1
NoteImage4H: mania-note1H
NoteImage4L: mania-note1L
NoteImage5: mania-note2
NoteImage5H: mania-note2H
NoteImage5L: mania-note2L
NoteImage6: mania-note3
NoteImage6H: mania-note3H
NoteImage6L: mania-note3L
KeyImage0: mania-key3
KeyImage0D: mania-key3D
KeyImage1: mania-key2
KeyImage1D: mania-key2D
KeyImage3: mania-keyS
KeyImage3D: mania-keySD
KeyImage4: mania-key1
KeyImage4D: mania-key1D
KeyImage5: mania-key2
KeyImage5D: mania-key2D
KeyImage6: mania-key3
KeyImage6D: mania-key3D
You need to add the corresponding images to your custom skin for this:
3: Ring Finger.
2: Middle Finger.
1: Index
S: Special Key
Blaizer
There's currently some bug in osu!mania where it messes up if you switch around the default note images, but works fine if you switch around the default key images. To get around this problem, just include all the default note PNG images in your skin folder. I've made a simple skin called Tweaked Mania which does just this. It's just some small tweaks on the default osu!mania skin. It does the colour switching and also removes the useless guidelines. Other than that, everything else is left default. Enjoy.

Skin download link: Tweaked Mania
Topic Starter
DrAwesomeXD
Works fine now thanks Blaizer.
Blaizer
This skin problem has now been fixed in cuttingedge. Feel free to delete those redundant skin images if you're on the cuttingedge update stream.