forum

Life Drain is a bit much for me.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bomberdude
So, obviously I'm not that great at osu!.
My cap (for maps I've practiced) seems to be about 3.6 star maps, and those are pretty hard for me in the first place, as I don't always pass them anyways.
(My cap for first time maps is probably less than 3 stars, I'm pretty bad at new maps until I get the hang of them.)

Regardless, I feel I've come a long way from back when 2-star maps were my absolute cap and I think I'm almost through the barrier to a few insane songs. Unfortunately, some maps seem to think that 8 HP drain is "difficulty", which would be fine if it was a map with consistent notes and streams (no slow parts). However, when half of your map has slow sections with minimal notes, and getting full 300s LOSES you HP, and then missing one note loses half of your entire health bar, I think you're being a bit ridiculous.

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/54373 (I like this map. It's well made, unreasonable HP drain though and I feel like the map would be easy if I lowered HP drain, ironically)

I'm not very good, but I know when missing 2 notes causes instant failure, your map isn't hard; it's unreasonably punishing.

(ranting section over)

On a seperate note, does anyone have tips for getting more accurate? I find my two big issues are that I'll consistently miss notes (miss a note every 50x for example), and/or the longer I sit through a song, the sloppier I get. (Get 100% for one minute, then drop to 90% the next.)

(Also, this is my first post here, yay)
Vuelo Eluko
i agree that life drain doesnt really have a home on rhythm games but once you get used to it you just accept it. i only fc'd that one recently and i dont think i was able to play that map when i was your rank... well, it was in ppv1 so maybe its different now... but yeah just practice and the maps with higher drain wont kill you because you wont mess up on them. simple as that. either that or nofail and i dont recommend that.

and your playcount is also abysmally low, i was still struggling to pass hards at that playcount let alone touching ar9 insanes. same reason your acc probably goes down so fast. that and you might be getting nervous, ive gone from 95 to 91% at the end of a map from nerves
Topic Starter
Bomberdude
Yeah, I hear you. I figured "practice" was the most obvious advice, and I know my playcount is low, but I'm pretty sure I just either got lucky or did the right thing with how I practiced, because as soon as I could even get close to a harder song, I went straight for it and let it hand my ass to me until I beat it.

Hell, that was my strategy with Airman [Hard], which I just recently beat. That thing whooped my ass a lot until I finally got precise and fast enough to beat it. And I'll probably do the same thing until I beat 4-star insanes, although fast AR on high BPM maps is my nightmare.

airman hard (the map i was talking about) - https://osu.ppy.sh/b/340104&m=2
nrl
If you think 8 is bad, wait till you get to 10. I regularly drain out because of a few inopportune 100s.
El Koko

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

If you think 8 is bad, wait till you get to 10. I regularly drain out because of a few inopportune 100s.
true suffering when just a few 100's kill you, freaking drain
laref

Kokozord wrote:

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

true suffering when just a few 100's kill you, freaking drain
Dying on the ending spinner is the worst feeling ever
GhostFrog
Drain sections are a part of this game. They have few notes, so you really shouldn't be missing any of them (how hard is it to hit one note every beat or two?). If you find that you're dying from missing 2 notes, either the map is way too hard for you that you're missing in the drain sections or your accuracy isn't good enough (i.e. you died because of the 10 straight 50s you got before missing the 2 notes, not because you missed those notes). Honestly, I'm not a fan of high hp drain either, but to say that "missing 2 notes causes instant failure" on that map is just making excuses.
nrl
I don't see any HR in your top ranks GhostFrog, so I think it's safe to say you have very limited experience with HP10. There are absolutely maps where two missed notes will fail you all on their own, and there are absolutely drain sections where missed gekis will fail you on their own. Such extreme situations are not the norm, but they happen, and they get more common as maps get slower and your play gets less accurate. OD10 HP10 is not a forgiving place.
GhostFrog
That's all well and good, but this map is not HP10, nor OD10.

92.62%, 13 miss play

2 misses most certainly does not insta-fail you in this map, even with bad acc.
nrl
Yeah, I realized after I posted that you were probably referring to the OP, in which case I agree with you.
GhostFrog
Ah, okay. I should have made the first half of my post more clear.
timemon
When I get too many 100's, my life get drained both in game and irl.
Topic Starter
Bomberdude
To GhostFrog:

The first thing I said was that I was bad at this game.
There are two arguments I have to make, though.

One: 13 misses TOTAL, not in a row for completion of that song. I found missing two notes almost entirely drained my HP bar, whereas missing one takes perhaps a third to half away, so it's 100% possible to miss more than two notes in the entire song and still pass.

Two: This is a 4 star map. Missing a couple notes should not immediately fail me on a 4-star map, I'd expect that out of something 5 stars or higher, but it just feels like this map uses HP drain as a cop-out for difficulty.

All HP drain really does is let the creator decide how hard they think their map is; and I feel like the creator has poorly judged the overall difficulty of the map, because there are a few sections in it where I miss a couple notes in succession and immediately fail, whereas the rest of the time I'm hitting solid 300s with a few 100s strewn about.

And of course I'm making excuses, nobody LIKES to admit that they're complete shit, but that's what I took the time to do as the FIRST statement in my post to avoid people saying "dont make excuses you suck".
GhostFrog
I agree that the drain in that map is higher than is warranted, but I missed 3 straight notes in that replay (and 2 straight notes 3 times, I think) and didn't fail. The problem you're having isn't that you're missing 2 notes and losing your entire health bar and that's why I said you're making excuses. You're either missing easy notes (notes in drain sections), which I doubt, or your accuracy is killing you. That is to say: the problem isn't the thing that you can't deny to yourself that you have a problem with (i.e. missing 2 notes); the problem is something subjective that you're making excuses in order to not believe (your accuracy isn't good enough).

If you weren't looking for people to tell you what to improve, I don't really see what the point of your post was anyway? Did you make this thread to call out one specific map as being a bad map? Turn on nofail and just have fun with it if you hate the drain so much that you made this thread just to complain about it.
FlyingKebab
Play maps above your skill level with NF and try to enjoy yourself.

Just my 2 cents

EDIT: Because my first 300 plays were NF 4....5....6 Insane maps and now i play the occasional "Everything Will Freeze [Freezing] (6,7 Star AR10 cluster **** with NF, because i just love getting destroyed but see my accuracy go up by 1 to a few% on similar maps afterwards

EDIT2: 240BPM streams are just so flashy to do <3
Sophia
This is a rhythm game and you're getting punished for having bad accuracy.
I don't see how that's an issue.
nrl
GhostFrog makes some good points, but I'd like to point out that it's also quite likely that the density of the map (or lack thereof) is allowing your life to sit below full for extended periods of time due to the drain, and this is what's allowing you to instant-fail yourself with two misses.

But in all reality, it's probably a combination of the two. As you get better you'll wonder why this was ever a problem.
B1rd
HP OD 10 sounds harsh. I always die from drain at OD10, but I think that's reasonable since I get like 50% 100s
On normal maps sometimes I get annoyed at drain at slow sections making me fail, but I think in most cases if you are in risk of dying from drain you're not going to be setting that amazing of a score anyway.
nrl

B1rd wrote:

I think in most cases if you are in risk of dying from drain you're not going to be setting that amazing of a score anyway.
Depends what you consider an amazing score. There are definitely maps where a few missed gekis (not even misses, just a few badly placed 100s) can fail an otherwise perfect play, and on low density maps all it really takes is a string of 100s to deal irreparable damage. I've failed without missing a note plenty of times.
B1rd

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

B1rd wrote:

I think in most cases if you are in risk of dying from drain you're not going to be setting that amazing of a score anyway.
Depends what you consider an amazing score. There are definitely maps where a few missed gekis (not even misses, just a few badly placed 100s) can fail an otherwise perfect play, and on low density maps all it really takes is a string of 100s to deal irreparable damage. I've failed without missing a note plenty of times.
well my statement applies to the maps I play, just no-mod insanes mainly. Are there really any 'normal' maps with that much drain?
nrl
Depends what you consider normal. I doubt there are very many maps sitting at HP10 OD10 no-mod.
Mystrian_old

Dm1321 wrote:

Play maps with "perfect" mod.
buny
Stop playing songs you obviously can't do and it won't be a problem.

I used to complain about drain too, and then I improved. Just accept the fact that if you're doing terrible on the song then you can't consider it a pass, and simply either play an easier map or use no-fail mod.

Hardly any map fails you when you miss 2 notes, and when it does, you're most likely on hr with 70% acc on a slow section.

Riince wrote:

i agree that life drain doesnt really have a home on rhythm games
Use no-fail mod? Chances are if you're dying to life drain your score is low enough to not matter - so if your score isn't in the top50 then it really doesn't matter if you use it or not.

Mystrian wrote:

Dm1321 wrote:

Play maps with "perfect" mod.
Except it's not as extreme, and the hp drain gives plenty of room for mistakes.

Mappers set hp drain to scale with difficulty. Don't like it? Force yourself to use no-fail and pass "ERMAHGERD HIGH DRAIN PLS UNRANK" maps with D's and C's to give yourself a false sense of achievement, or rebel and don't make any scores on those maps.

On a side note, improve accuracy simply by being smart on what you play and focusing more on beats. More indepth guides are stickied in this forum.

Oh, and also:

Bomberdude wrote:

I'm not very good, but I know when missing 2 notes causes instant failure, your map isn't hard; it's unreasonably punishing.
Not all maps are forgiving, do you expect a cookiezi and hot chocolate each time you miss?
If you think about it from the other side of the spectra, the map is perfectly normal and other maps are unreasonably forgiving
Vuelo Eluko

buny wrote:

Use no-fail mod? Chances are if you're dying to life drain your score is low enough to not matter - so if your score isn't in the top50 then it really doesn't matter if you use it or not.
i think you're misinterpreting my post. i just don't think life drain belongs in a rhythm game. no other rhythm games have it because it's fucking stupid, not that im dying.

also, i could SS this with DT and still fail because i cant spin 400 rpm for 50 seconds. drain really is dumb sometimes.

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/24611
sasakura
HP drain rate is too cruel :(
show more