forum

Timing/offset

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
OutcastAlias
Firstly I'm unsure if there is a thread that already explains this and I'm unable to find it, so sorry if this is already explained.

Not sure exactly how the offset affects the song if someone could explain it to me and give an idea on where to place the offset on my map.

Same with the timing, Things don't seem right to me

Certain sources about the song say it is 77 bpm, while others say it is 153..ish

both to me seem close (except for 77 has to be in 1/8 or doubled to 154 to be able to go the right speed leaving a 1 point difference in the bpm from 153)

After messing with it for some time and asking some people I've decided to ask for some help before I waste anymore time with the BPM/offset

my current map I 'm working on is this one http://osu.ppy.sh/s/11601
Skyripper
Well quite simply, offset affects where the BPM actually starts (in milliseconds). Have you used the "tap here" function in the editor timing pane?

If you are still having issues timing your map, might I suggest this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=13795
Topic Starter
OutcastAlias
I have, but it is unclear to me exactly. I have a history in music and am always used to the bpm starting at the same time as the song and I am not used to doing something like this. A friend tried to help me put it in the right place but his reasons don't make sense to me
Derekku

OutcastAlias wrote:

I have a history in music and am always used to the bpm starting at the same time as the song
That's what the offset does. It matches the bpm up to the music to an exact millisecond.
Topic Starter
OutcastAlias
From what I'm understanding you're pretty much telling osu! where to put the downbeat in each measure....(asked a friend and finally found the explanation thread... and there they called the downbeat.. the heavy beat...which is still the first beat no mater what you call it) Which is also what I'm getting from you.

If this is the right way of thinking then I can prance away happily thinking I'm right until hurricane weather ruins my parade >:(

Thanks for all the info .. that thread was a great point in the right direction skyripper
Derekku
You're absolutely correct. It tells where to put the downbeat. Obviously I couldn't think of what to call it at 2am. XP