forum

Osu Academy Mini-game/Training routine

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cassie322
This system is under construction, any and all criticisms are welcome!

Osu Academy Training System

1. Introduction/purpose
SPOILER
Osu Academy is a label for a training routine I developed for self-use. It could be played as a mini-game, to improve your overall abilities gradually, or both. The general idea is to take a statistical approach to player improvement and give yourself fun, smaller goals with very obvious class-up improvements.

It is highly recommend that you have at least 5,000 beatmaps installed to use this program.

The game was inspired by a period of non-improvement and some study about different levels of competence in games in general. Every player has three different levels of play, whether recognized or not:

Your A Game:
This is when you're at your peak. You are playing the best you ever played. Most people will hit this level several times a month, but some people may experience it more often.

Your B Game:
This is when your A game falls off at the end of the session, or just a normal day. Basically when you're playing normally.

Your C Game:
You're having a really bad day. You can't do anything right. You're messing up all sorts of combos. Some time today, you hope to gain a single PP.

Osu Academy is based on the concept that the A game and the C game spring from the B game. Your standard play is what really matters, and your best and your worst are deviations from the norm. By using a rewarding system and a statistical approach, Osu Academy trains up your typical game without causing you to get extremely bored by the repetition.
2. Glossary of Terms
SPOILER
A/B/C Game: See introduction.
Bracket: A subset of your maps sorted by difficulty which contains either 50 or 100 maps.
Ranking: This is a title achieved by getting a specific set of goals accomplished within a bracket.

3. How to Use
SPOILER
While advanced in its concept, Osu Academy is easy to use. Before you can begin, you must decide on two key parts:

A. Bracket

Brackets are subsets of your beatmaps which contain either 50, or 100 beatmaps, depending on how quickly you want to advance or how many beatmaps you own. It is very important that your brackets are of attainable size, 100 being ideal, or else the ranks may be too difficult. The way you show a bracket is by typing into your search something like this (without brackets): (star>=3.35 star<3.4). You will then have an extremely limited subset of your beatmaps showing based on difficulty. Depending on how many beatmaps you own, you will have to vary the size of your star bracket. I have 18,000 maps, mostly from the mega-pack containing beatmap packs 200-300.

B. Ranking

Ranking is a fictional title which you decide for yourself, or use the recommended rankings, which indicates a specific level of mastery of a specific difficulty subset. Rankings are characterized by a list of smaller goals, many overlapping, which will indicate improvement when achieved. See the recommend rankings section for examples.

Once you have determined your bracket and ranking you are trying to achieve, usage is simple.

For example, suppose I'm trying to become a novice in 3.35-3.4:
I would need to sort my maps with: star>=3.35 star<3.4

Then I would need to do the following things:

Get at least B accuracy on 20% or more of maps with a difficulty star of 3.35-3.4
Get at least A accuracy on 10% or more of maps with a difficulty star of 3.35-3.4
Get at least C accuracy on 50% or more of maps with a difficulty star of 3.35-3.4
4. Recommended Rankings
SPOILER
Novice:
Get at least B accuracy on 20% or more of maps in the bracket
Get at least A accuracy on 10% or more of maps in the bracket
Get at least C accuracy on 50% or more of maps in the bracket

Frustrated Novice:
Get at least C accuracy on 90% or more of maps in the bracket
Get at least B accuracy on 40% or more of maps in the bracket
Get at least A accuracy on 5% or more of maps in the bracket

Adept:
Get at least 95% combo on 5% or more of maps in the bracket
Get at least S accuracy on 10% or more of maps in the bracket
Get at least A accuracy on 40% or more of maps in the bracket
Get at least B accuracy on 99% or more of maps in the bracket

Master:
Get 100% combo on 20% or more of maps in the bracket
Get S accuracy on 50% or more of maps in the bracket
get A accuracy on 95% or more of maps in the bracket
Please leave feedback!
Sophia
Looks pretty, but when you look at it objectively, it's nothing more than a thread saying "Find beatmaps of your skill level and train.", or "Find beatmaps you want to be able to beat and train."

..Which is still what many people need to hear.
Topic Starter
Cassie322

Dm1321 wrote:

Looks pretty, but when you look at it objectively, it's nothing more than a thread saying "Find beatmaps of your skill level and train.", or "Find beatmaps you want to be able to beat and train."

..Which is still what many people need to hear.
This is true. But it also gives a structured method of determining WHAT your skill level is, which I struggled with for a while.
Vuelo Eluko
ive only been at my A game twice in my life every other time it's been my C game.
Maeglwn
you need a new name

osu! academy is a tutorial system set up by ztrot
Topic Starter
Cassie322

Maeglwn wrote:

you need a new name

osu! academy is a tutorial system set up by ztrot
Noted. Thank you. I'll repost under a new name instead if this thread dies, instead of bumping.
VirtualMuffin
Very good. Now I won't have to get a lucky B on a 3.5 map and think I've mastered that star difficulty for next hour.
xasuma
I was actually hoping for a game :( as in a software that did it all automatically, lol.
WaffleEater
It would be more nice if you build a program/site that says:
What diff are you doing?
What's your result?
Conclusion:
You should play again these diffs/Should play lower diff etc...
ManuelOsuPlayer
Useless.
RamenBucket
Why are we necroing old posts this is like 4 years old
Vuelo Eluko

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

ive only been at my A game twice in my life every other time it's been my C game.
4 years later still true