forum

[resolved] Straight line lock (map editor)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
onechop
I'm new to mapping and one thing I noticed is I find it hard to accurately go along the grid in either horizontal, vertical or diagonal.

Generally beats should be placed randomly along with using distance snap unless you map with symmetry and shapes, I understand that but sometimes I think it would be great to have a 45 degree snap tool without having to mess about reducing the grid level.

The way this would work is a bit like drawing straight lines in paint or photoshop with the paint tool.
When using the circle or slider tool and grid snap is on, you put the cursor to a point that you want to move in any 45 degree angle. When you hold the assigned button and move the cursor towards one of the 45 degree angles, your cursor will lock in that particular angle and will only move in a straight line along the grid until you let go.

This tool should only be used rarely and not constantly as we don't want boring 45 degree snapped beatmaps. I would use it mainly for finding the horizontal/vertical/diagonal middle of beats so I can align a beat much further away which would end up not being a 45 degree angle from the last beat.
It would also be useful for making square or triangle placed beats and could also work with distance snap.

The assigned shortcut would be usually something like shift but since that is already taken, why not C, don't see the point in two pause/resume shortcuts.

Any thoughts/opinions?
Lach
Hold alt+shift and move the circle around (just shift if you have distance snap toggled on by pressing Y key) It will snap to 45° angles.
Topic Starter
onechop
Ah, okay thanks. I got that to work. It doesn't work exactly how I expected though but I guess I can put temporary beats in to create a point of alignment :D
Topic Starter
onechop
My only problem with this is, it won't snap them to the grid. Maybe a seperate shortcut for this would be better.

Also it seems to be buggy I think, it only lets me adjust the distance when I turn distance snap way up to x2. If I hold shift and alt, it dosen't snap at all. If I have distance snap completely turned off, holding shift does not work.