forum

[Archived] Friends in Skype hear screeching sounds when I play Osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
- Anhedonia -
Problem Details:
Whenever I start playing a song on Osu while in a Skype call with my friends, they tell me that they hear a sort of screeching sound.
The screeching sounds seem to only occur at random times while playing Osu. It's never consistent - at least I don't think it is. I've tried to figure out what causes it but I'm at a loss.
Does anyone have any possible solutions?
I have a Turtle Beach X12 Headset, if that helps at all.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
Screenshot of Skype settings when not playing and mic is muted http://i.gyazo.com/a7ebd6bbc8b9d4004315141cef962321.png
Screenshot of Skype settings while playing Osu while my mic is muted http://i.gyazo.com/6143c1bc41641ace5a8a0b69fc0d358c.png

osu! version: 20140615.12 (latest)
Piine
Have you check if Skype using the whole sound driver or the Microphone itself?
FappyBabes
could it be your keyboard?
Topic Starter
- Anhedonia -

Sulker wrote:

Have you check if Skype using the whole sound driver or the Microphone itself?
How would I be able to check that?
Topic Starter
- Anhedonia -

prky wrote:

could it be your keyboard?
I've used two different keyboards and the screeching has occurred while using both keyboards.
Top Bunk
Possibly electronic interference. Playing requires moving the mouse around a lot more which could cause the inconsistency. That's my guess at least.

Either that or you have a subconscious habit of screeching whenever you play.
Topic Starter
- Anhedonia -

SlasherZX wrote:

Possibly electronic interference. Playing requires moving the mouse around a lot more which could cause the inconsistency. That's my guess at least.

As I highly doubt it's the second option(lol). I did think that it could electronic interference. I have a similar problem with my monitor passively producing a humming noise. I've read that the cause of that might be electronic interference. I've recently moved things around in my room, could that be a possible cause for these interferences?
Top Bunk

TheFearedTurtle wrote:

SlasherZX wrote:

As I highly doubt it's the second option(lol). I did think that it could electronic interference. I have a similar problem with my monitor passively producing a humming noise. I've read that the cause of that might be electronic interference. I've recently moved things around in my room, could that be a possible cause for these interferences?
It's possible, I've heard of other people with similar issues before. The only way to really confirm or deny if it's really electronic interference is to go through your nearby electronics and moving them away/turning them off one by one. Never hurts to try it at least. If the problem still persists, then unfortunately I'd be out of ideas. But best of luck to you.
Zallius
Some of this is gonna be technical so apologies if you don't understand all of it:

1. If you have a laptop, it could be fans kicking in and reverberating through the microphone.

2. If its a desktop PC and you are confident with working inside your box, take a look at the cable that feeds your headphone and microphone socket on the case to ensure it is not of cheap quality, and is not running close to any noise producing items (electrical noise) (GPU, CPU areas of the mainboard) and high speed SATA cables.

Processor PWM control on mainboards and gpu's is VERY noisy these days, as are craptasticly manufactured PC power supplies. These can introduce noise when you get heavy loading on the system and if you have a poor quality audio jack cable, you may need to change it out, re-run it or add a ferrite choke over the cable to stop induction.
Topic Starter
- Anhedonia -

Zallius wrote:

Some of this is gonna be technical so apologies if you don't understand all of it:

1. If you have a laptop, it could be fans kicking in and reverberating through the microphone.

2. If its a desktop PC and you are confident with working inside your box, take a look at the cable that feeds your headphone and microphone socket on the case to ensure it is not of cheap quality, and is not running close to any noise producing items (electrical noise) (GPU, CPU areas of the mainboard) and high speed SATA cables.

Processor PWM control on mainboards and gpu's is VERY noisy these days, as are craptasticly manufactured PC power supplies. These can introduce noise when you get heavy loading on the system and if you have a poor quality audio jack cable, you may need to change it out, re-run it or add a ferrite choke over the cable to stop induction.
Wow, thanks for the response! This does make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I am not very knowledgeable about these types of things. But I will have a friend of mine look into this!
FappyBabes
In the first place. Why do you even skype when playing Osu?
O_o
Topic Starter
- Anhedonia -

prky wrote:

In the first place. Why do you even skype when playing Osu?
O_o
Don't bother with irrelevant questions! lol