forum

Snapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Oskur
I'm practicing how to snap at the moment, and I've noticed that my tablet hand tenses up as I try to snap, tiring and sweating much more than I would if I went back to just hitting notes as the approach circle hits them.

So I have a couple of questions;
1) Does your hand tense as you snap, or does your hand remain relaxed?
2) Any general "do not"s when practicing how to snap?

Notes accumulated:
  1. Warming up may help with tenseness
  2. Avoid being too tense, but some of it is to be expected
  3. Treat like exercise, stretch after and routine praaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactice will develop ability
1. Keep your hand relaxed, it's easier to play that way.
2. Don't do an AR you're not comfortable with.
Topic Starter
Oskur

Faces3 wrote:

I know it's "easier", per se, but I wanted to know if it was common to tense up while snapping; whether or not I should is beside the point.
AmaiHachimitsu

TMoI wrote:

Faces3 wrote:

I know it's "easier", per se, but I wanted to know if it was common to tense up while snapping; whether or not I should is beside the point.
Tensing is unhealthy, it's a common sense to avoid tensing too much. However, it happens, yeah.
Topic Starter
Oskur

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Tensing is unhealthy, it's a common sense to avoid tensing too much. However, it happens, yeah.
Alright, thanks.
yoyomster
1. When I start playing, I'm not warmed up yet, so my hand is always tense during the first 15-20-ish maps. At any rate, it takes a while for it to go away.

2. It's not general advice but i think there's nothing more to it than finding the right maps for your level to practice snapping, which is not easy and depends on luck rather much. To me that would mean maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/112817 [Insane] and https://osu.ppy.sh/b/52275 [Insane], which have high AR, good "flow" (helps creating smooth movements) and relatively few hit objects for an Insane diff.
Topic Starter
Oskur

yoyomster wrote:

1. When I start playing, I'm not warmed up yet, so my hand is always tense during the first 15-20-ish maps. At any rate, it takes a while for it to go away.

2. It's not general advice but i think there's nothing more to it than finding the right maps for your level to practice snapping, which is not easy and depends on luck rather much. To me that would mean maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/112817 [Insane] and https://osu.ppy.sh/b/52275 [Insane], which have high AR, good "flow" (helps creating smooth movements) and relatively few hit objects for an Insane diff.
I'm just tensing as I snap, to make them more accurate. I'm trying to force myself to relax my hand, and it's kind of working but my snapping has deteriorated some. But that's to be expected, practice will make it improve.

The range of difficulties I enjoy playing and practicing is kind of broad; the Yousei Teikoku map you linked is a bit too easy for me (and Insanity is too hard), so I'll try my hand at snapping with the FT map you sent. (Or not; I don't play AR8 much but I guess I'll use it since it's good practice) Much appreciated.
Oinari-sama
Doing cursor dance to warm up may help

/runs
Topic Starter
Oskur

Oinari-sama wrote:

Doing cursor dance to warm up may help

/runs
cursor dancing while playing 8-)
yoyomster

TMoI wrote:

I'm just tensing as I snap, to make them more accurate. I'm trying to force myself to relax my hand, and it's kind of working but my snapping has deteriorated some. But that's to be expected, practice will make it improve.
Oh i see, so you're probably warmed up already by that time. But this makes me wonder: is it really necessary to relax your hand at all times?

I'm learning to play the piano and me being a beginner, my fingers tense up a lot while playing too. I'd gladly play without any tension at all if I could, but just don't think that's actually possible. So for now, I'm trying to release the tension as soon as possible after striking the keys.

Following that train of thought, if tensing up a little somehow sharpens your focus, I don't see why it's all that bad to get tense as long as you try to make your hand relax as soon as possible while moving between the beats.
Topic Starter
Oskur

yoyomster wrote:

TMoI wrote:

Oh i see, so you're probably warmed up already by that time. But this makes me wonder: is it really necessary to relax your hand at all times?

I'm learning to play the piano and me being a beginner, my fingers tense up a lot while playing too. I'd gladly play without any tension at all if I could, but just don't think that's actually possible. So for now, I'm trying to release the tension as soon as possible after striking the keys.

Following that train of thought, if tensing up a little somehow sharpens your focus, I don't see why it's all that bad to get tense as long as you try to make your hand relax as soon as possible while moving between the beats.
Ah, it's kind of alright now. I can snap without tensing except for exceptionally large jumps now; thanks for the input though.
Kaitou Kid
you can snap with tablets :o
nooblet
I get hand cramps in my right hand after playing long CS5 maps without breaks, probably similar to what you're experiencing here. I just take it as exercise, and stretch my fingers after finishing the song. Yeah, my hand is pretty much crippled afterwards, but it's just like finishing a deathstream map. Muscles will develop over time.
Topic Starter
Oskur

nooblet wrote:

I get hand cramps in my right hand after playing long CS5 maps without breaks, probably similar to what you're experiencing here. I just take it as exercise, and stretch my fingers after finishing the song. Yeah, my hand is pretty much crippled afterwards, but it's just like finishing a deathstream map. Muscles will develop over time.
oof cs5

Alright, sounds good, thanks.