forum

Different/Complex Time Signatures [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Dusty
Right now, the only two time signatures available in the Editor are 3/4 and 4/4. Those are nice, because you can easily extend them out into the /8's, such as 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8.

However, there are other time signatures that can't be faked, such as 5/4. Because the time signature determines the pulses on the osu! main menu, the white pulses will look funny when placed onto a 5/4 or 7/4 song. (such as Kingdom Hearts's "Night of Fate" in 5/4)

Therefore, I think there should be a way to use different time signatures such as 5/4.
Derekku
As a workaround, you can manually edit the .osu file.

ms,bpm thingy,5,other numbers,etc,etc,etc

Though, additional time signature support would probably be nice. (Even though it's uncommon and thus not super important orz)
Topic Starter
Dusty

Derekku Chan wrote:

As a workaround, you can manually edit the .osu file.

ms,bpm thingy,5,other numbers,etc,etc,etc
)
Oh, thanks.
Cyclone
Last i checked, doing that messes up the metronome...
Derekku
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Larto
Bump. Songs written in different time signatures e.g. 5/4 are not that uncommon so I think this should be implemented. If you use a 4/4 section for a 5/4 song, the flashes in the main menu are all wrong! =[
And I'm really unsure if the workaround by hacking the .osu file is rankable or not. Probably not?
0_o
Yeah.
Lybydose
support
Derekku
Workarounds = :(

Re-support~
ouranhshc
support

yay time to map GO! (Mahalo Mix)
Shohei Ohtani
Well I guess I should request 2.25/ 4 time signature support.

YES IT EXISTS I PLAYED A SONG WITH IT D:.
0_o

CDFA wrote:

Well I guess I should request 2.25/ 4 time signature support.

YES IT EXISTS I PLAYED A SONG WITH IT D:.
I'm pretty sure that would have been 9/4 >_>
Shohei Ohtani
No no no each measure is 2 beats and a sixteenth note.
Derekku

CDFA wrote:

No no no each measure is 2 beats and a sixteenth note.
Then uhhh 9/16? o_o;
arien666
Support due to Tenjiku2000 orz
[orz at 5/4 timing section] ;_;

edit. Koibumi 7/4...
RandomJibberish
Support~
mm201
Support. I need 7/4 for Death and All His Friends.

Editing the .osu files works for both the menu and kiai, if you can stand the metronome being broken in the Timing tab.
Zekira

arken1015 wrote:

Support due to Tenjiku2000 orz
(support btw)

KITA FUCKING SAITAMA 2000

Card N'FoRcE
Oh i didn't support this :O

Yeah this would be really useful: at least 5/4 and 7/4 are needed (i had to map a 7/4 song using 3/4 :( )
Shulin
This would be useful.

Support!
TheVileOne
Such gems at the bottom of the forum really. We need to give this some star support.
Agka

?
theowest

Agka wrote:

?
thought so too. added?
Agka
very long ago really
TheVileOne
Complex timing signatures- as in things not x/4
Agka

TheVileOne wrote:

Complex timing signatures- as in things not x/4

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

Oh i didn't support this :O

Yeah this would be really useful: at least 5/4 and 7/4 are needed (i had to map a 7/4 song using 3/4 :( )
no?
TheVileOne

Dusty wrote:

Right now, the only two time signatures available in the Editor are 3/4 and 4/4. Those are nice, because you can easily extend them out into the /8's, such as 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8.

However, there are other time signatures that can't be faked, such as 5/4. Because the time signature determines the pulses on the osu! main menu, the white pulses will look funny when placed onto a 5/4 or 7/4 song. (such as Kingdom Hearts's "Night of Fate" in 5/4)

Therefore, I think there should be a way to use different time signatures such as 5/4.

We obviously haven't expanded into the total range of complexities. We need x/8 and x/12 support. The OPs recommendation is that 3/4 and 4/4 can be a substitute, but it's hardly the proper way to show the correct measure.
theowest
x/8 is just a doubled x/4
don't see how it's too different. I'm pretty sure all timing signatures are possible now.
benguin
If you are doing something in x/8 time, normally you can just use (x/3)/4 time with the value of each beat being 2/3rds of the value from x/8 time. So 3 quarter notes in 3/8 time is basically the same as a quarter note triplet (or "sixth notes") in 1/4 time for example. As for workarounds for other time signatures...those might be a bit harder to figure out...
TheVileOne
I'm pretty sure 7/12 isn't possible or 9/8 at least in timing measure standards. we're talking about properly landing long white ticks on measure starts, there's a lot of things we can't line up.

I wouldn't have BUMPed this if I knew this wasn't still an issue. although they may have only wanted 5/4 and 7/4, but really I BUMPed this for the x/12 scale, and things like 6/8 < the metronome is screwed up using x/4 to represent 7/8
theowest
Give me one song with such timing.
TheVileOne
theowest
can be done with the current time signatures.

I'm going to mark this as added, because they didn't have this back then. peppy has obviously cut it down to x/4 when implementing this, because more isn't needed.
TheVileOne
I'm not saying it can't be done. i'm saying the measure is wrong. Any song that's x/4 can be done in 4/4, but will the measure be right? Hell no! you don't understand the point of using a different timing signature. It's supposed to match the music, but when you got a song like this, it's not x/4 it's x/12 and we're talking about 1/6th timing, and the metronome goes really off.

So unless you're telling me that x/6/12th is supported in osu!, you can't say this song will fit. I should know I timed the thing.
Okay call it added. Tomorrow i'm making a feature request for complex timing signatures. ._.
Agka
so you support the convenience? well alright. support for more power to the people?

though there's a problem- considering the request (and this particular one since it was already added) support for x/8/12 should be in its own thread, doesn't it? the request asks for x/4

right?
TheVileOne
Well the thread title is ambiguous. the OP mentioned the most relevant ones since they had not yet been added. I mean there was no reason to ask for more complex measures back then. Start with the simple and then ask for the complex. So... technically this thread would count for any complex signature.
theowest
It would be better to start a new separate discussion as another feature request, since this got added in the past.
Agka
if people have only read the op (and what the OP mentions has been already addressed) you will have trouble getting support for this. I still say a new thread is a better idea.
benguin
TVO has a good point. For example, if only 4/4 existed, you would have issues trying to configure a 3/4 song to work in 4/4. In order to make a workaround from one time signature to x/4, you need to multiply/divide some numbers around and sometimes this will lead to x being some fraction and I'm not sure, but I'm guessing entering a fraction/decimal into the x/4 box in the time signature settings isn't such a good idea. For example, 12/8 could easily be done in 4/4, 9/8 in 3/4, x/8 in (x/3)/4. So what about 7/8? It'd be weird to work with a (7/3)/4 time signature...
Edit: lol, I was super-ninja'd by like 10 posts ._.
theowest
The older parts of this feature request no longer talks about being able to do anything above x/4
Their request has been added, so make a new request. I'll lock this btw.