forum

Authentic scoring option [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Senor Cardgage
While playing Don't Stop Me Now for about the ten-gazilionth time, I got to thinking, and what I'd really like to see sometime is some sort of option in the editor that allows for scores to be calculated with the Ouendan/EBA formulas (i.e. Hit score * ((Combo - 2) * .04) for Easy, Hit Score * ((Combo - 2) * .1) for Normal, and Hit Score * ((Combo - 2) * .2) for Hard and Insane). The map creator should be able to enable/disable this option and choose which formula they want for a particular beatmap (since, as is often the case, osu! may grade a map as, say, a Normal when the creator intended for it to be an Easy/Hard).

Again, this feature would be completely optional, and chances are most people wouldn't use it anyway, but it would definitely help authentic/pseudoauthentic maps feel even more authentic. It's the only thing keeping Don't Stop Me Now from truly feeling like a true-blue EBA level to me. If the fact that it may adversely affect player ranks is too much of a problem, might I suggest instead of making it an editor option, making it a mod instead, so that the player has the option of using authentic scoring. Their final score could then be adjusted, according to the scoring formula the player chose, to more accurately reflect the score the player would've gotten had they not used the mod.

Again, it's more of an aesthetic idea than anything.
Nakata Yuji

Senor Cardgage wrote:

While playing Don't Stop Me Now for about the ten-gazilionth time, I got to thinking, and what I'd really like to see sometime is some sort of option in the editor that allows for scores to be calculated with the Ouendan/EBA formulas (i.e. Hit score * ((Combo - 2) * .04) for Easy, Hit Score * ((Combo - 2) * .1) for Normal, and Hit Score * ((Combo - 2) * .2) for Hard and Insane). The map creator should be able to enable/disable this option and choose which formula they want for a particular beatmap (since, as is often the case, osu! may grade a map as, say, a Normal when the creator intended for it to be an Easy/Hard).

Again, this feature would be completely optional, and chances are most people wouldn't use it anyway, but it would definitely help authentic/pseudoauthentic maps feel even more authentic. It's the only thing keeping Don't Stop Me Now from truly feeling like a true-blue EBA level to me. If the fact that it may adversely affect player ranks is too much of a problem, might I suggest instead of making it an editor option, making it a mod instead, so that the player has the option of using authentic scoring. Their final score could then be adjusted, according to the scoring formula the player chose, to more accurately reflect the score the player would've gotten had they not used the mod.

Again, it's more of an aesthetic idea than anything.
This wouldn't be great, because people would abuse it.
Will it make my score higher? Ok, let's turn this mod on.
It's going to lower my score? Screw it.

It sounds good, but the repercussions aren't as great.
Torran
WWHHAATT!?!?!? osu! doesn't use Ouendan's scoring algorithm? Though that might explain the different scores on osu! for authentic maps when compared to the game.
Topic Starter
Senor Cardgage

Nakata Yuji wrote:

This wouldn't be great, because people would abuse it.
Will it make my score higher? Ok, let's turn this mod on.
It's going to lower my score? Screw it.

It sounds good, but the repercussions aren't as great.
That's exactly why I suggested the mod option. Like I said, as with most mods, it would add a score modifier so that, either way, the player's score would be, if not exactly, at least extremely close to what it would be had the mod not been turned on at all.

Of course, now that I think of it, that would require a score recalculation after the map was finished (as opposed to in-game score recalculation with the other mods), so I guess the issue would be whether peppy feels like implementing that new recalculation in or not.

soradg123 wrote:

WWHHAATT!?!?!? osu! doesn't use Ouendan's scoring algorithm? Though that might explain the different scores on osu! for authentic maps when compared to the game.
Nope. I think osu!'s algorithm involves a calculation that includes the map's numeric difficulty rating.
RemmyX25
FAQ Entry on scoring:

http://osu.ppy.sh/?p=faq&n=2&c=7#c7

That said, i think the current system is fine as it is.
peppy
No.