forum

Playlist - osu! songs without osu! [In dev.]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FlyingNeko

[In Hiatus]

FlyingNeko is currently busy with real life stuff and might not be able to release this soon. I will keep on working on it though.
Also, I might change the name since this will most likely be a "standalone cinema mod" instead of an mp3 player.

What does this do?
Playlist is a program which takes the mp3's from your osu! folder and plays them in accordance to:
  1. Beatmap ID
  2. Filename
  3. Random
  4. Artist
  5. Custom
Just like a playlist!
Your description sounded boring. What features will it have?
Right now, only a limited number of features could be implemented due to the scarcity of time. I plan to release this as soon as possible so a lot of updates will be on the way once it is released.

Features listed according to priority:
[High]Playlist Saving
[High]Dynamic Slideshow*
[High]Viewing Mode & Compact Mode*
[High]Smart Song Listing*
[Mid]Online Playlist Sharing
[Mid]One-click update (like osu!)
[Mid]Marathon Mode*
[Low]Live osu! Hitsounds
[Low]Syncing with osu! collections
[Low]Beatmap downloads
[Low]Beatmap video
[May Never Happen]A mobile app once Online Playlist Sharing gets implemented
What's with the italicized features?
Dynamic Slideshow
What I basically plan on making this do is to scan the song folder for storyboard images. It will display those images like a slideshow. I also have thoughts on showing the storyboard of the mapset itself.

Viewing Mode & Compact Mode
While in Viewing Mode, Dynamic Slideshow will be enabled and the background picture of the song will be displayed.
In Compact Mode, the whole window is reduced as small as it can get to avoid it from obstructing other windows and to reduce memory usage.

Smart Song Listing
Smart Song Listing tracks your most played songs and keeps it at the top of the default playlist every time you open the program. It will also track songs that you avoid (the ones you skip) and place them at the bottom of the playlist.

Marathon Mode
Marathon Mode is an experimental feature I'd like to implement which stops the current song at a random position and plays another. It will also randomly show different images with Dynamic Slideshow on.

All of these features can be turned off. Yes, that is also a feature.

Project Details | FAQ
When will you release?
I'll try to release it as soon as possible. The exact date is unknown.

What programming language?
I used C#.

Why would I use this? osu! has its own music player.
It lets you play the songs outside of osu! so you don't have to open osu! every time you want to listen to your songs. Might be useful when you're doing work on your computer and you just feel like the anime songs are calling out for you.

Will this run on my computer?
If osu! runs on your computer then this will most likely run as well.

Mac and Linux?
No. Windows-only. I'm sorry.

Sexy GUI?
I guarantee it.

I think I'll make this page look a little better.
Yay!!!

Screenshots
Nothing here at the moment.
But here's a little snip because I love you all <3

Changelog
All changes regarding the development of this application will be posted here.
[4/22/2014]Logo change because peppy
ErunamoJAZZ

FlyingNeko wrote:

Mac and Linux?
No. Windows-only. I'm sorry.
._.

GL :)
Top Bunk
This would simply be beautiful to have. I usually do a lot of work at my computer and tend to use osu! as a music player as it is. And then I always have a friend who gets annoyed that I'm logged into the game but not actually playing it with him. Working on things comes first; playing can be done later.

So I know that I would definitely use this.
Good luck with it!
Gumica
Hmm great idea. I'll definitely sign up for testing :P
However, I hope you'll take [song names, artists, bpm...] out of the .osu file Metadata, as the .mp3 files themselves don't have the correct data in their propreties.
Other than that, let me know if you need some help on the project ;)
And good luck.
Piine
I wish you luck! This sounds like a great plan as well as a future program that I might use. •﹏•
Kanegae
+1!

With a sexy GUI, I'd love to use it!
sheela
Ouhhh.... Sexy GUI....
Good luck on completing this program!
Howl
Yes, but there is still the application by Prim...
[Mid]Online Playlist Sharing
[Mid]Marathon Mode*
[Low]Live osu! Hitsounds
[Low]Syncing with osu! collections
OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD
Yellowpalmtree
That GUI though :]
Bullhax
All of these features can be turned off. Yes, that is also a feature.
Is there a feature that allows you to turn off the turning off of features? :roll:
Ephemeral
when osz2 is eventually released, all of the mp3 files normally used with beatmaps will be occluded and packaged within a specific beatmap set, so developing something like this is probably not worth it in the long term!
peppy
Consider that osz2 hasn't been released for 5 years. It's probably still valuable from that perspective.

Personally I'm against these kinds of apps because osu! was never supposed to be a music source/player. If you enjoy the music in osu!, go buy it from a CD store, subscribe to spotify or similar, which are more likely to support artists.

Please do not use the official logo or "osu!" branding for this, anyways. While I don't mind you posting it here, I don't wish for it to be associated with osu!.
Topic Starter
FlyingNeko

Ephemeral wrote:

when osz2 is eventually released, all of the mp3 files normally used with beatmaps will be occluded and packaged within a specific beatmap set, so developing something like this is probably not worth it in the long term!
That would surely be a problem... But I just read this from the wiki: "osz2 files will not need to be "extracted" and will always remain as .osz2 files in your Songs folder." and checked the osu!wiki for who's developing this new thing. It seems that Intermezzo, the guy who's in charge of osz2 is currently inactive. So my guess is that it would take a while before osz2 gets released (unless the wiki is outdated.)
Hopefully though, I would find a way to get inside those osz2 files
ikzune
thought this was something to automatically add my song files to my vlc music list o3o
Primula_old

laishiou wrote:

thought this was something to automatically add my song files to my vlc music list o3o
t/187990
Arcanine
why not make the program and post it here afterwards
Flanster
Atleast have fun developing it, playing in Visual Studio is fun :P