Health problems from playing osu

posted
Total Posts
show more
deletemyaccount
Eyesight already sucks

Theres no turning back now
ksg
I got depressed a few weeks after starting osu, and now haven't slept in weeks because of playing. I quit my job and started drinking excessive amounts of alcoholic drinks. My meals consist of pizza and hamburgers. My wrists have swollen to double their normal size. All my money has been spent on new mice and keyboards, which I often smash to pieces in frustration. My spine is done for, and my leg muscles have withered so I can't even walk.

Seriously though, just take breaks every now and then and you'll be fine.
[ Stellar ]

ks- wrote:

I got depressed a few weeks after starting osu, and now haven't slept in weeks because of playing. I quit my job and started drinking excessive amounts of alcoholic drinks. My meals consist of pizza and hamburgers. My wrists have swollen to double their normal size. All my money has been spent on new mice and keyboards, which I often smash to pieces in frustration. My spine is done for, and my leg muscles have withered so I can't even walk.
If it was possible for me, I would cry for you.
jazzy9875x
I don't think Osu! can cause any damage or health issues accept for aching in the arm/hand, but sometimes it does hurt my eyes after a while from playing to long (3-4hours+ straight) If your worried about these things the easiest solution is not to play....
Wouldn't it be the persons fault for getting a lack of sleep and becoming less social? Its their fault for not sleeping and becoming less socially active, just because osu! is addictive, don't mean its to blame! :(
GoldenWolf

jazzy9875x wrote:

I don't think Osu! can cause any damage or health issues accept for aching in the arm/hand
You're wrong.
Amianki
I've noticed that a lot of the health problems I have with the game tend to get less intense when I try to not look at #osu
Topic Starter
AnimeHonor
the biggest problem i can see is your eyesight will get fucked even if you dim the screen, this is because you have to keep your eye open for a long period of time. This can cause your eye muscle to get tired and you will lose your vision

my eye is already fucked but hey it can be worse
jazzy9875x

GoldenWolf wrote:

jazzy9875x wrote:

I don't think Osu! can cause any damage or health issues accept for aching in the arm/hand
You're wrong.
Well then what else could there be? Eyesight, aching? I cant think of anything else.
Blueprint

Sulker wrote:

[ Stellar ] wrote:

How to protect yourself from these problems? Quit osu!.
Seems legit, but you are a crazy old man/woman so no. I do keep myself on IRC and take long breaks from gameplay
I would have quit a while ago if that was possible xD
Blueprint

AnimeHonor wrote:

the biggest problem i can see is your eyesight will get fucked even if you dim the screen, this is because you have to keep your eye open for a long period of time. This can cause your eye muscle to get tired and you will lose your vision

my eye is already fucked but hey it can be worse
Just watching ar 11 plays with my eyes
dung eater
My tapping fingers start to ache after extended/intensive play over several days. Haven't had problems with eyes/eyesight even though I've stared at crts for extended periods of time long before starting with osu!. I do get a headache for staring if the screen is below 80hz but that's not a problem with eyes.

One good way to make yourself take breaks is to drink a lot and pee often :3 You'll stay hydrated, too.
Topic Starter
AnimeHonor
jacob u hv been playing 100 songs a day since you joined

r u crazey
xarathas
By playing osu you are exposed to a community which consists to 95% of weebs, horse fetishists, LoL players and furries
One step for a healthier osu experience is to not read the ingame chat, at all.
also only visit the forums max. 2 times a month, as the game does not offer a lot of things you can actually talk about, people try to start discussions about the most arbitrary things imaginable, which makes you want to kill yourself by just reading the thread title
GoldenWolf

jazzy9875x wrote:

Well then what else could there be? Eyesight, aching? I cant think of anything else.
CTS
Topic Starter
AnimeHonor

xarathas wrote:

By playing osu you are exposed to a community which consists to 95% of weebs, horse fetishists, LoL players and furries
One step for a healthier osu experience is to not read the ingame chat, at all.
also only visit the forums max. 2 times a month, as the game does not offer a lot of things you can actually talk about, people try to start discussions about the most arbitrary things imaginable, which makes you want to kill yourself by just reading the thread title
ur waifu just gave me cancer u bitch
Ethelon
There's actually this part of my thumb that hurts much more compared to every other area after a long session. Usually I stretch out the other areas consistently through so it's not a problem, but I can't figure out what'd work for my thumb.

Oh well, sacrifices must be made (GG 10 hour sessions).
Sophia

AnimeHonor wrote:

You still blink while playing Osu. You keep your eyes open for most of the time that you are awake, so I doubt this is a problem, The problem is keeping your eyes open and playing with some kind of obnoxious skin that flashes the colors/playing obnoxious maps that flash the map. Stressing your eye to read the map or the beats can fall under this. But this is also present in some other games (Like how you stress your eyes playing Bullet Hell games such as Touhou to see between the gaps in the bullets and survive.)

Keep your room well lit. Take breaks from playing. If your eyesight is bad (Such as my own), you're more prone to this (say, if you use glasses - Which I do), so just be careful.
Voidn
Carpal Tunnel, for sure: http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/156184?hilit=+pain+hand+pain

Other than that, vision induced headaches, discomfort/pain from poor posture, or broken keys/fingers from mad stream smashing.

All can be prevented if you play either in moderation or practice playing correctly.
Vuelo Eluko
eye problems? you cant blink while playing? lolwut
how bad does ur reading have to be to not be able to take less than a millisecond to blink without losing your place/missing?
Espionage724

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

how bad does ur reading have to be to not be able to take less than a millisecond to blink without losing your place/missing?
There was a discussion about how some people didn't blink and/or breath even while focusing intensely on osu!. I've even caught myself a few times doing neither :p
Mizuno Yui
For a couple of days last week I forgot to blink long enough tears start pouring from my eyes -.- Had to stop playing, wipe it of and stop feeling like a retard every 20 or so minutes -.- Not even funny.
tsundoll

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

I don't think anyone would argue that you blink a lot less when focusing. There has been at least one high profile player that supposedly developed eye problems.
Topic Starter
AnimeHonor
yeah im sure you can play insanes while blinking ._.
sangu

AnimeHonor wrote:

yeah im sure you can play insanes while blinking ._.
you really might want too.... (I already wear glasses, they aren't much fun...)
aizhid
Depression b/c cookiezi left me.
Topic Starter
AnimeHonor

aizhid wrote:

Depression b/c cookiezi left me.
sorry you lost your husbando.
koalanoob
You go absolutely crazy and you should quit before you get addicted. Good luck out there warrior.
Manishh

KoalaNoob155 wrote:

You go absolutely crazy and you should quit before you get addicted. Good luck out there warrior.
Its an 8 years old post
Please check the date before posting
Darko69420

AnimeHonor wrote:

What are some health problems you can get? I know you can fuck up your wrist, tire out your forearm and bicep lose eyesight and all that. I know some people quit osu because of hand/eye problems. Any tips on protecting yourself from osu?

anyone get seizures?
my social skills are low cuz of OSU! fuck that game but I still play it ;(
Simon12

Darko69420 wrote:

my social skills are low cuz of OSU! fuck that game but I still play it ;(
lol
Manishh
XD