forum

How to hit the fast parts?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SwagBoyOnOsu
So I'm at a point where I tend to miss due to songs having really fast jumptrills and rolls, stairs, however you refer to repeated 1-2-3-4s and any variation of it. It's caused me to fail quite a few times, especially with rolls. I just can't seem to muster up the speed required to hit them. I'm looking for advice on how I can develop the speed for the fast parts in songs, the mentioned cases especially where I can't rely on the max casual speed I have.
AruRinh
play more you'll naturally get faster
playing jack maps also help
Wimpy Cursed
I found that playing simple streams and increasing the BPM of those streams, my speed has gotten faster. This is still true even after a long break.

1-2-3-4s are a very easy to learn and improve at, but it can also be scaled to a much harder difficulty by simply adding a shit ton of them. They could go from 1-2-3-4 to 4-3-2-1, or they can be something like 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3, 1-2-3.
Of course, the density will always be different throughout maps.

So, what do you generally want to aim for to improve at these repeated patterns? Start off on a slower bpm, then build up. Also, take note on the density of the patterns. This will be your stamina part, and it is important. Which maps will keep you engaged? Maps that will make it difficult for you to "take it easy," but also aren't too hard?

Scale the speed and density of maps that you already play. IMO, I think looking at maps with 95%+ accuracy of said patterns are a good way to start. Push to 98%+ afterwards. This way, you are improving with consistency. Sometimes it is okay to test yourself with speed, density, or both.

I also recommend looking at simple stream maps for training. I don't mean taking a look into JS or HS, though don't stop playing them completely. It may not be what you're targeting, but those are good patterns to improve at streams in general.

tldr; play maps with 95%+ accuracy that have simple streams, and aim for 98%+ accuracy.

Jacks

AruRinh wrote:

play more you'll naturally get faster
playing jack maps also help
Yes, playing chord jack maps specifically can improve your tapping speed, but does not improve familiarity with the stream patterns.