forum

How should I play with my mouse?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Salad Dish
As the title asks, how should I be playing osu! with my mouse? I usually play with my elbow resting on the arm of my chair and with a mixture of palm and claw on the mouse, where I claw the top and sides but rest my wrist on the table/mouse mat. I would like to know if this is bad posture for playing with the mouse or something. If so then I would like advise on how to play better so I am more accurate with my mouse.

If you're wondering about my setup with the mouse settings, I use 1800 DPI, with Raw Input at 1.2x in game.
Lewder
whatever floats your boat
uzzi
1800, I guess that's the highest that I've seen viable. Why not set the ingame to 1.0x, and just adjust your dpi itself?
B1rd

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

1800, I guess that's the highest that I've seen viable. Why not set the ingame to 1.0x, and just adjust your dpi itself?
+1, better to adjust the DPI rather than have software artificially alter the sensitivity.

I use pretty much the same as you, my elbow on the chair armrest, 2000dpi, wrist on the mousepad, and a fingertip grip, I don't touch the mouse with my palm at all.
One piece of advice I'd give is don't use your arm at all for movement, it's not relevant at that sensitivity and it's just going to make it harder to be consistent. It's a bad habit I'm trying to get out of.
Skriggniichan

Lewder wrote:

I don't think this can be repeated enough to everyone that asks for advice
nooph

Skriggle wrote:

Lewder wrote:

yeah, it's because playing in a way that you find comfortable is how you should be playing. there isn't a magic stance or sensitivity that will make you good at the game. just pick a position and a sensitivity/dpi setting that feels right and go with it. also, don't forget to practice.

p.s. you have a nice icon, op.
stygianchaos
Imo you should just use the grip that lets you relax your hand the most, or just whatever feels more natural. Tensing the muscles in your hand can be detrimental to accuracy and if you keep it tense constantly for hours on end it have negative health effects.
Lewder

Skriggle wrote:

Lewder wrote:

It is true though, people need to stop thinking there is a formula for doing well. The only things outside of practice and having good hand-eye co-ordination and rhythm to begin with are buying a tablet; a mechanical keyboard; and, if you want to do something far-fetched and have too much money, a 120Hz monitor
B1rd
I don't know why people think sitting down and clicking circles is such a health hazard.
ArtoftheStateAT
just stick with what you're comfortable with. try to change your position while playing, just try different things till you're comfortable.