forum

Why do top players have such a short playtime???

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
YE irp
I've been surfing through top players' & random users' (relatively high ranked) profiles, and I noticed how top players' playtimes weren't so astonishingly high but rather short compared to much lower ranked players. What's the secret here, or are they simply extremely gifted?
DM FOR MUTUAL
There's a lot of players that were unbanned so their playtime doesn't count their playtime before and during their ban. Examples that I can think of are Chicony, Xootynator, Whitecat, Chocomint, but there's probably a lot more. On the other hand, guys like Ivaxa are just built different.
I AM VERY SMART
There's also the case when players mainly spend their time offline and farm/set insane scores on bancho
Topic Starter
YE irp

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

There's a lot of players that were unbanned so their playtime doesn't count their playtime before and during their ban. Examples that I can think of are Chicony, Xootynator, Whitecat, Chocomint, but there's probably a lot more. On the other hand, guys like Ivaxa are just built different.
I see....but what about Mrekk, Accolibed, and the majority of top players who have around 100 days of playtime? It still seems really short, because I often see 3/4/5 digit players with the same playtime.
Naiad
Dunno what to tell you other than that you're wrong. Top players definitely have more hours on average than lower ranked players.
DM FOR MUTUAL

YE irp wrote:

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

I see....but what about Mrekk, Accolibed, and the majority of top players who have around 100 days of playtime? It still seems really short, because I often see 3/4/5 digit players with the same playtime.
100 days of playtime is actually very long for osu standards, because it's generally really hard to rack up playtime in osu, especially if you grind skill. Compared to other games, osu only counts time actually playing maps and not menuing, and unlike other games where you can play all day without breaking a sweat, osu will absolutely gas you if you play for 3 hours while actually playing stuff that's challenging for you. There also the fact that unlike other games where you can actually get a decent return from playing them, such as if you're a streamer or a competitive player, osu doesn't really have stuff like that, or at least to the extent where you can make a living by simply racking up 1000s of hours.

And at the end of the day top players are a lot more gifted than the average player. You don't get to the top of something as competitive as osu without having some sort of advantage over other people, whether it be something like genetics, motivation + life situation to be able to grind, or just being lucky to figure out how to get better in the right way or whatever. And what Naiad said is probably also true, that top players have more playtime on average than lower ranked players. A ton of top players will have 100+ days of playtime, but the vast majority of lower ranked players won't, it's just that there's a ton of lower ranked players so there's also tons of lower ranked players with high playtimes, even though the average playtime is lower.
kujubuo

YE irp wrote:

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

100 days playtime is a lot. Also most people doesnt actually play for improvement all the time unlike the 3/4/5 digits or play the wrong maps
Melnight
105 days of playtime is 2,520 hours of playtime.
Aizuuya
Because this is a very intensive skill-based game, genetics will always play a large role in how fast each individual person improves. The people at the top are of course the ones that are most gifted.

Its important to not let this deter you from trying to improve. Everyone can always improve, even if it may take you thousands of hours more than these top players to get to the same level.
Naiad

Aizuuya wrote:

Because this is a very intensive skill-based game, genetics will always play a large role in how fast each individual person improves. The people at the top are of course the ones that are most gifted.

Its important to not let this deter you from trying to improve. Everyone can always improve, even if it may take you thousands of hours more than these top players to get to the same level.
prepare to fight a 1v9 for telling the truth
I AM VERY SMART

Melnight wrote:

105 days of playtime is 2,520 hours of playtime.
I wonder how many players have reached this milestone
_mp1506
simple example. see Shinchikuhome currently top 1 Taiko ranked.
DM FOR MUTUAL

Naiad wrote:

Aizuuya wrote:

prepare to fight a 1v9 for telling the truth
I'll join so it's 2v9