forum

How to cope that I won't improve ever

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rematyar
Play more? I've heard that more than a thousand of times. I know I rarely get 1000 plays per month, but that's after how busy I am with real life. So I think it's time to give up. I can never play more, the only advice everyone will give me after looking at my profile.

Take a break? My ass. That shit never work. At least for me.

Even if I know that I won't improve since I can't play more, I felt stressed whenever I missed on nothing on my favourite songs. How can I cope with this? I don't want to play osu for improvement anymore, but I just can't mentally. I was always a competitive person, but I physically can't play any more than whatever I have right now. I just want to play osu for the good songs, but every misses always stresses me out.
Voidedosu
The simple answer is that you need to reframe how you approach and interact with this game and what you want out of it given whatever limited time (real or imagined) that you have to spare.

The longer answer is probably the same but with some kind of framework that you can base a plan of action on, but I have no idea how to make that myself regardless of how much or how little you tell me of your life and all that. I'm just fairly certain that if you're stuck between wanting to play and the mental troubles of how you play and whatnot, recontextualizing your view of the game, your goal and your life should help you get things into perspective. It also means you have to be ready for the fact that the end result means you'll have to truly give up the game after all, or at least relegate it to the "ohey I used to play this, lemme hop on and play a random bunch of songs/maps I like" bin.

That's about all I can say from this end. The rest is on you to make that introspection happen.
Topic Starter
rematyar
So my biggest problem is my mindset, then. I don't think I could 100% step back from the game, though. Since every time I'm not busy, I'm just bored af (no hobbies :c) so I played osu just because I'm bored, I guess.
Happy Satoko
Retire, semi-retire just playing easy maps, or transition to mapping. What is this game really doing for you anymore? Every topic you make is just despairing about this game for a long time now. There's only so much you can try. You put in a lot of time so far, but that doesn't justify putting in more when it only hurts you. Even if you improve, you'd be back to making posts like this later on when you hit another plateau because improvement won't fix the negative impact the game has. You'll be able to find something else to do if you give yourself time. This is a dying game, it is not worth this much stress and doesn't deserve this much mental space. Be kinder to yourself.
Voidedosu

Happy Satoko wrote:

Retire, semi-retire just playing easy maps, or transition to mapping. What is this game really doing for you anymore? Every topic you make is just despairing about this game for a long time now. There's only so much you can try. You put in a lot of time so far, but that doesn't justify putting in more when it only hurts you. Even if you improve, you'd be back to making posts like this later on when you hit another plateau because improvement won't fix the negative impact the game has. You'll be able to find something else to do if you give yourself time. This is a dying game, it is not worth this much stress and doesn't deserve this much mental space. Be kinder to yourself.
dying? Lol. I think I'll believe that when I see it.

But yeah, find yourself something new. Broaden your horizons. At the very least find another game to play.
Aizuuya
If every miss stresses you out, you will never enjoy this game. Personally I have a terrible mindset for this game just like you, but yours is on a different level. Recently I farmed for a week straight, minimum 3 hour sessions but usually much longer. I didnt get a SINGLE 400 (the only amount that gains me anything) until today, and that play only brought me to the rank I was 10 days ago. Genetics are a massive factor in this game, I am on the side that suffers immensely mentally and improvement wise in this game due to genetics. You have similar hours that I had at that rank.

Do not succumb to your competitive nature. This is a game, its just for enjoyment. If you cant enjoy it, dont play it. If you do enjoy the game, play through your shit improvement like I have. The game will become enjoyable once you just accept the fact this game is unfair and stop caring about ranks. Stop caring about missing, ranks dont matter. Just enjoy the songs. One guy can spend 400 hours playing and get 4 digit, meanwhile others can spend many thousands just to be stuck at 5 digit. (Someone like Miles Naismith) Comparing yourself to others will only hurt your mental more and more, play maps outside of your comfort zone (maps with like 10+ misses) for a LONG TIME.

I grinded tournament play for skill improvement the entirety of 2023, and I still only gained 4k ranks since Jan 2023. I know from experience giving a fuck about this game is pointless. It only sets yourself up for despair. People who thrive from genetics in this skill-based game will deny their existence to you and say "just play more". But they could never understand the true despair people like you and I go through. Either get out while you can, or learn from my mistakes and change the way you view this game. Thats the best advice I can give you from my 4 years of experience in this game as a player similar to you.
Topic Starter
rematyar

Happy Satoko wrote:

Every topic you make is just despairing about this game for a long time now. Even if you improve, you'd be back to making posts like this later on when you hit another plateau because improvement won't fix the negative impact the game has.
Yea mb LOL I made those posts just because I felt like I could improve, but something was holding me back (and I can't find out what or where). So I asked lots of stuff here :p

I think this is my last post of this improving shits (hopefully) and just try not to shitpost about these anymore.
Happy Satoko

rematyar wrote:

Happy Satoko wrote:

Every topic you make is just despairing about this game for a long time now. Even if you improve, you'd be back to making posts like this later on when you hit another plateau because improvement won't fix the negative impact the game has.
Yea mb LOL I made those posts just because I felt like I could improve, but something was holding me back (and I can't find out what or where). So I asked lots of stuff here :p

I think this is my last post of this improving shits (hopefully) and just try not to shitpost about these anymore.
I understand, I'm sorry if that came off judgmental because I didn't mean it that way. It hasn't been about improvement, but I've had my own frustrations with this game that affected me negatively. From experience, it just really isn't worth it to let osu impact you like that. If you can't change your mentality about the game or solve this problem in another way, then just try to allow yourself to let it go. Most of us have had dreams about what we'd achieve in osu, and most of us fall short of those dreams for one reason or another, so it's no unique failing of yours. I know it is difficult to have a taste of your potential just to let it all go, but 10 years, 20 years from now, you don't want to have only bad memories of the time you spent in this game.
I AM VERY SMART
You will never improve if you tell yourself you're not going to improve ever.

Never take a miss as an admission of failure, but rather as a lesson to help you go even further. Even the best of the best miss on nothing and don't feel like improving, but they always find a way to get back up because they simply enjoy the game. It's more than just a game to get better, it's a passion.
BlueChinchompa
Give Score or SS farming a try
Voidedosu

BlueChinchompa wrote:

so I get more competition?
I AM VERY SMART

Voidedosu wrote:

BlueChinchompa wrote:

There are hundreds of players who also score/SS farm
Nanofranne
You can turn yourself into casual player for once. There will be another day for you to shine again, someday. Take breaks, play just for the sake of enjoying it, play with friends, do daily challenge
Voidedosu

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Voidedosu wrote:

BlueChinchompa wrote:

There are hundreds of players who also score/SS farm
They aren't here in G&R, are they?
kujubuo
Just focus on having fun and dont care about improvement lol