forum

[invalid] Bigger Signatures or Banners?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Galaxiosaurus
I'm currently constructing my own website here: http://secretpanda.nn.pe/index.html

Before I start, I apologise in advance for if this is in the wrong place, or it's a double post. (I did try and look, honest!)

Long story short, my request is that there be an option to have a larger signature, the one put on my webpage looks pretty distorted in terms of the avatar and my username. (That being because it is just over X2 the original size)
Respectively, I did some maths and worked out that IF all 5 types of sample signature were automatically created for every account on Osu!, it would come to around 460GB and I would understand if there were storage issues that would make it a bad idea, but, saying that I'm not sure on how the data is handled by the server(s)

If this was possible, making them twice the size would make it less pixelated, but would defeat the purpose of a signature, which is why a whole new banner feature could be implemented instead? (Still noting storage of the new sizes at maximum capacity would be like 920GB+ the original 460GB so lots of data..

If the banner idea was then a thing, I would be happy to try and help with some presets or anything I could really.

If this is a really bad idea (It's not the greatest) just let me know! (:
XPJ38
osusig dev here.

ErrorsFound wrote:

Respectively, I did some maths and worked out that IF all 5 types of sample signature were automatically created for every account on Osu!, it would come to around 460GB and I would understand if there were storage issues that would make it a bad idea, but, saying that I'm not sure on how the data is handled by the server(s)
Yeah, that's not how it works :P Images are created on demand and stored for a determined period of time before being automatically deleted from the server.

I understand your need of a @2x signature but that is not their purpose. They are meant to be pasted in signatures in forums, which are traditionally limited in size, especially in osu!, hence the small size. They are also not designed to be bigger (trust me, if I had to re-create the player scorecards with twice the size, they would look differently). So as far as I am concerned, that's a no. Unless peppy or somebody else in the team wants it to happen.

If you know how to use GD (it's not complicated), I suggest you create your own banner instead with your own size and design.
Topic Starter
Galaxiosaurus

XPJ38 wrote:

I understand your need of a @2x signature but that is not their purpose. They are meant to be pasted in signatures in forums, which are traditionally limited in size, especially in osu!, hence the small size. They are also not designed to be bigger (trust me, if I had to re-create the player scorecards with twice the size, they would look differently). So as far as I am concerned, that's a no. Unless peppy or somebody else in the team wants it to happen.

If you know how to use GD (it's not complicated), I suggest you create your own banner instead with your own size and design.
I see, that was my initial concern, but not to stress! I understand that it would pretty much defeat the purpose of having a small forum signature if there's a giant 1000x200 banner in place! Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated!

That's an interesting idea, I will do that instead. Besides, I think it will help me keep to the house style of the website... and give me something to do when I'm not breaking my wrist trying to get my PP up! ;)