forum

What does/should running out of stamina feel like?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
xymbii
Trying to fix a technique thing so I need the input of others on a seemingly stupid question but;
on a micro scale, what does running out of stamina(failing to continue holding 300's) actually feel like? Is there a difference between macro(forearm tiredness) fatigue and micro, in the moment, fatigue that prevents you from SS'ing a singular stream? Do these rules apply while streaming with both fingers and wrist or only with one? Is there a mental aspect to tapping(not aim) fatigue, and if so how severe?

My second question would then be what is the result of running out of stamina. At what point does slowing down tend to occur, in terms of how tired you forearm feels or any other term that feels more accurate. Also, where does this point fall in relation to the point where you begin to lose finger control? Does tapping fatigue manifest itself in any way other than forearm soreness?

I often find myself losing speed and understreaming way before I start to feel anything in my forearm, and so I'm trying to figure out if i've just been cheesing streams for 6 years or if this is normal.

(separate question, when approaching higher bpm's, do you tend to think of it as controlling something that you can already mash, or speeding up something you can already control?)

Please don't hit me with a "play more" this isn't me asking for help to improve this is me asking for people's experiences. If you want to give some advice i'll take it but if you type play more i'll curse you with a stubbed toe every morning.

(sorry if this kinda sounds like a uni discussion post idk im in a mood)
Naiad
I'll try my best to offer some insight on as many of your questions as I can, but from the looks of it your tapping is honestly probably better than mine on <220ish bpm so not sure how much help I can offer on some of these.

Dirty_We wrote:

Trying to fix a technique thing so I need the input of others on a seemingly stupid question but;
on a micro scale, what does running out of stamina(failing to continue holding 300's) actually feel like? Is there a difference between macro(forearm tiredness) fatigue and micro, in the moment, fatigue that prevents you from SS'ing a singular stream? Do these rules apply while streaming with both fingers and wrist or only with one? Is there a mental aspect to tapping(not aim) fatigue, and if so how severe?
There is definitely a difference. I don't really feel a numbing, fatiguing or burning sensation when I run out of "micro" stamina, as you like to call it. My fingers simply stop being as quick and responsive, and it's harder for me to "feel" each individual tap. As for the mental aspect, I'm not really sure myself.

Dirty_We wrote:

I often find myself losing speed and understreaming way before I start to feel anything in my forearm, and so I'm trying to figure out if i've just been cheesing streams for 6 years or if this is normal.
This certainly applies to me as well.

Dirty_We wrote:

(separate question, when approaching higher bpm's, do you tend to think of it as controlling something that you can already mash, or speeding up something you can already control?)
Finally a question I'm (relatively) qualified to answer. I'd say for bursts it's somewhere in the middle, leaning towards controlling something that I can already mash (but maybe this represents a deficiency in my technique and is not optimal). For long streams, it's definitely the latter. Overall there is probably a continuous spectrum between bursts and deathstreams with bursts existing on the "controlled mashing" side and deathstreams existing on the "sped up control" side and everything else in between, at least in my case.
Topic Starter
xymbii

Naiad wrote:

There is definitely a difference. I don't really feel a numbing, fatiguing or burning sensation when I run out of "micro" stamina, as you like to call it. My fingers simply stop being as quick and responsive, and it's harder for me to "feel" each individual tap.
do you feel any change in what muscles are being used to tap as you run out of stamina or anything else aside from slowing down and losing the "feel" of each tap? and does losing the "feel" ever lead to overstreaming and not just understreaming?
Naiad

Dirty_We wrote:

do you feel any change in what muscles are being used to tap as you run out of stamina or anything else aside from slowing down and losing the "feel" of each tap? and does losing the "feel" ever lead to overstreaming and not just understreaming?
I don't really notice any change in which muscles are being used. It definitely can lead to overstreaming.
Voidedosu
I am very very untrained on high-bpm bursts, so take this as you will, but to me they feel like trying to control nearly uncontrollable mashing.

For fatigue, I think I feel mostly the same as Naiad? IIRC it tends to start with either losing rhythm a lot easier than before or starting to consistently understream despite starting on-time. However, depending on how long the streams are and how often I restart, actual soreness and a need to stop can take seconds to minutes to show up.

There probably is a mental aspect to it, especially if you aren't accurately recognizing it as incoming fatigue. If you don't realize you're starting to fail because you're getting tired/sore and need to stop (or at least rest), you can start putting in a lot of unnecessary effort and willpower for significantly diminishing returns until you recognize it's fatigue and quit on your own, quit out of frustration or quit because your arm physically stops being able stream or even play well before you stop on your own.