forum

[osu!lazer] help transferring osu!lazer from one pc to another.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Acanthophis
Problem details: I just built my first pc and am looking to transfer everything from lazer on my laptop to here. When I open lazer's folder, however, I don't see a folder for beatmaps or replays.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20240123
Blushing
They are all encoded separately to save on memory and to avoid tampering of such key files.

One method is if you have an osu!stable install then you can completely copy that folder put it onto a thumbdrive and then move it to the new computer, install lazer and migrate the contents of osu!stable to osu!lazer.

The other method which i am not entirely sure if it works is put a thumbdrive into the computer, open osu!lazer, go to the settings, search for the button that allows the user to change the lazer directory, choose the new directory (the thumbdrive), allow it to import, then plug the thumbdrive into the new computer, open osu!lazer, choose directory from lazer's settings, then allow it to export into the new computer under a new directory.
Topic Starter
Acanthophis

Blushing wrote:

They are all encoded separately to save on memory and to avoid tampering of such key files.

One method is if you have an osu!stable install then you can completely copy that folder put it onto a thumbdrive and then move it to the new computer, install lazer and migrate the contents of osu!stable to osu!lazer.

The other method which i am not entirely sure if it works is put a thumbdrive into the computer, open osu!lazer, go to the settings, search for the button that allows the user to change the lazer directory, choose the new directory (the thumbdrive), allow it to import, then plug the thumbdrive into the new computer, open osu!lazer, choose directory from lazer's settings, then allow it to export into the new computer under a new directory.
I was actually able to copy all of the files and upload them to google drive. I downloaded, copied, and pasted them into lazer's file location. Only issue is that no beatmap has the mp3. All scores and beatmaps are there. If I reload all beatmaps, will it clear the locals on lazer? I remember doing that on stable and erasing all of my local scores. I should also ask what the keybind to reload beatmaps in lazer is.
Blushing
beatmaps are reloaded upon a new one entering or something changing the local db (i.e. there is no hotkey for it rightnow)

more than likely the hash for the beatmaps are not being recognized, see if importing a beatmap helps reload them
tr7ke
Hello!

For anyone still needing help with this, I found a method that worked;

Go to %appdata% -> Roaming -> osu and copy that entire file to a thumbdrive.
Then, install your OSU on the same thumbdrive as well. You will have two separate files.

On the new computer, install OSU like normal from the website, then change its' folder location to the thumbdrive.
Then, copy over the files you had copied from Roaming over to the new Roaming location.

You should then be able to access all of your songs and data! Make sure to reinstall to a different location on your computer, rather than the thumbdrive.

And there you go!
spaceman_atlas
That is an overly convoluted method of doing it - if you just copied the folder you mean to the same location on the new PC it would also be fine and also would not require using the "change folder location" twice.

(The method described above additionally won't quite work if you've changed folder location prior to wanting to migrate but I digress.)