forum

Has this happened to you, or have I just been playing too much osu!?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SupaSazyCassidy
So basically, I was riding in the car with my family, and when i was listening to some songs on the car radio, I started imagining, and could sorta see circles and patterns to the songs. So I was bored, and eventually I decided to tap these patterns out on the car window to pass the time, and my brother recognized what I was doing, and asked me "why are you playing osu!?" lol. So has this happened to anybody else here, and is this how some people get into mapping, in order to get these thoughts out of their head, or have I just been playing too much?
I AM VERY SMART
It happens to me all the time, you have no idea how many songs could be a beatmap on osu! I stg.
Topic Starter
SupaSazyCassidy

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

It happens to me all the time, you have no idea how many songs could be a beatmap on osu! I stg.
Thank you for replying. I'm just glad I'm not the only one. Also I agree, almost any song could be an osu! beatmap.
Wimpy Cursed
lmao happened multiple times now
Topic Starter
SupaSazyCassidy

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

lmao happened multiple times now
That's interesting. Is this sorta like the tetris effect?
Wimpy Cursed
Honestly, anything with a lot going will suffice.

Such as Terraria for me. See constant bullet hell? You start thinking it outside of the game, crazy.
I am just beginning my Tetris journey.
Topic Starter
SupaSazyCassidy

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

Honestly, anything with a lot going will suffice.

Such as Terraria for me. See constant bullet hell? You start thinking it outside of the game, crazy.
I am just beginning my Tetris journey.
I used to play Terraria a lot with my brother when I was a kid. I rememeber exploring a cave once, and seeing a spider come at me, and I instinctively yeeted my phone onto the ground because it startled me. Good times. (Don't worry the phone was fine, because the floor was carpeted.) Also, I am not really talking about tetris in particular (I suck at tetris, btw), and more generally, it is called game transfer phenomenom, which I think is pretty cool.

Edit: Some of the coolest gaming experiences that I have ever had was when for a few brief moments, it feels like I am actually there in the action, instead of sitting behind a computer screen, before my brain realizes its mistake, and I snap back to reality, disappointed. I do not know if this counts as game transfer phenomenom, but it is probably something related.
Wimpy Cursed
Never heard of such a thing. Looking into it now !
_mp1506
imagine when yourself mapping taiko just by listening to a song.
Topic Starter
SupaSazyCassidy

_mp1506 wrote:

imagine when yourself mapping taiko just by listening to a song.
I wish I could do that, but I haven't played enough taiko yet to know how to map a song properly.
Nanofranne
Yesh. Although I don't fidget like you do, just an intrusive thought
Topic Starter
SupaSazyCassidy

Nanofranne wrote:

When it happens, does it bother you?
Nanofranne

SupaSazyCassidy wrote:

Nanofranne wrote:

When it happens, does it bother you?
Not really. I'd have something more important in mind
reffty_gag
its ok
NicNock
Yeah I do this too, fidgeting included. I've actually been doing this for every rhythm game I've known. First it was Geometry Dash, and then Project Arrhythmia, Cytus, one that just doesn't exist, and now it's a mix of osu! and the made-up one.

I think of it as just another way to experience music, so I like to put a lot of intense music in my playlists, the songs I like most do best though
Voidedosu
My teenage years were all GH/RB, so you bet I was air guitaring or using my thighs/knees as impromptu drums whenever I heard a song I liked. And belting out lyrics, too, but yknow. (half-helps I've basically memorized over 500 songs worth of lyrics thanks to GH/RB, including guitar/drum/basslines when there's no lyrics to sing)

And yes, I have the same abrupt visualizations from Osu, too. I haven't had GH and Osu overlap like that yet, though I'm not sure how I'd feel if/when they do.
-xenai-
When I listen to music, I almost always imagine it in osu!, either from an existing map I already memorize, or a map I could make myself. Sometimes, its the reason I choose to map a certain song. It just comes into my mind and boom, new map idea.
Now when it comes to actually making it as good as I imagined in my head... yeah I struggle.

No joke, I was doing it just now, I'm listening to some music currently as I was fixing a few things.